Dulcie and Paul - Cover

Dulcie and Paul

Copyright© 2011 by Tedbiker

Chapter 4

Something changed for Paul. He noticed that Eileen was more relaxed around him. He began to look forward to seeing her. Unfortunately, word had got round of his skills with the internet and he was getting more and more work from local small businesses and local churches, so he was actually seeing less of her than before. Of course it was good he was getting the work.

Others noticed a change in him too. Andrew and Bridget noticed the reduced ... perhaps that should read changed ... tension between him and their younger daughter and were glad.

Peter and Dulcie noticed the change; it was particularly noticeable that Paul was less tense when with Dulcie. In many churches there is a practice during Communion services, called 'The Peace' during which members of the congregation greet one another, perhaps with a handshake, sometimes an embrace or even a 'family' kiss. The idea is to confront people and try to make sure they've resolved any disputes before participating in the central ritual of Christian fellowship. Paul had been clearly uncomfortable, but now was happily embracing Dulcie ... and, in fact, Peter. They did wonder why at first, but when Eileen began attending church with her parents they had the answer; Paul and Eileen may not have realised it, but it was evident to outsiders from the way they looked at each other that they were well on the way to falling in love.

Paul didn't want to think about a relationship. He hadn't sorted out his feelings about Linda; her revelation that she'd loved him, continued to love him, that rightly or wrongly, she'd sent him away because she loved him. Her death, just as she'd admitted her love.

Eileen had had a crush on her sister's boyfriend almost from the first day she'd met him, but had kept it very quiet ... it was her sister, after all, and they were five years apart in age, so Eileen was quite young then and rather insecure. The insecurity hadn't diminished in the intervening years and she'd had no dating experience over that time; no one noticed the quiet, skinny, studious girl except to comment on her flaming red hair. Being placed in close proximity to Paul hadn't helped until the moment of shared pleasure in the little figurine. After that, she'd relaxed a little. They'd got something in common; he hadn't ridiculed her or put her down, but had shared with her. Since then, she'd accepted his friendship, just as he was beginning to be away more as he got more work.

Andrew and Bridget were frustrated and tried to think of ways of pushing them together. Perhaps not a terribly good idea, but a very tempting one. They discussed it ... extensively, and even talked to Dulcie and Peter about it. Dulcie made the definitive comment;

"If in doubt, leave well alone ... and pray."

So ... that is what they did.

A few days later, Paul was spending some time being quiet, on board Aglaia; airing her out and getting away from the bustle of a busy shop. The boat was moored to a rickety pier next to a green area by Downs Road. Sitting in the cockpit, his eye was caught by a vivid flash of familiar colour...

'That looks like Eileen. I wonder what she's doing here? Sketching? Hm... '

He clambered up onto the walkway and made his way along and onto the land, walking across the grass towards the girl. She was so engrossed in her art that she was completely oblivious of his approach – he was able to peer over her shoulder. He was so astonished at what he saw, he gasped and the sound penetrated Eileen's concentration. Her head came up and jerked round. Seeing him, she blushed bright red and tried to cover her sketch-book.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.