I'm Not Lisa
Chapter 7: Decision Time

Copyright© 2011 by Coaster2

Tim was of two minds when we went to see him Tuesday morning. He was dealing with an old friend and two employees, and his needs were conflicted. He wished us happiness and jumped up the give me a hug and Rance a hearty handshake. But in truth, he was disappointed that he would lose his old army buddy and his head of security. He would need to find a competent replacement. Still, the two men had gone through a lot together, and whether Rance was here or in Colorado, they would remain close friends.

Rance had contacted Brent "Buster" Rhimes, another army friend whom he had met in Landstuhl, also recovering from wounds. Brent had lost a leg, and wondered what he would do with himself when he was released. He had joined the army to learn a trade, but the only trade he learned was killing people. He was smart enough to take advantage of the rehab training programs offered, but he had yet to find something that satisfied him. Currently, he was a security guard at a shopping mall.

"I called Buster today," Rance told me at lunch. We had resumed our noon hour habit, but with a totally different atmosphere.

"He's got some time off comin', so I'm goin' to bring him up here for an interview. I'm hopin' he can do the job. I think he's got what it takes."

"And if he can't?"

"I guess I'll have to go the usual way ... search party."

"That will take some time," I said. "Where is he?"

"Reno, Nevada. Would you have someone get a plane ticket for him, please?" He passed me a single page with Mr. Rhimes' details on it. "He can get a couple of days off, so make whatever arrangements work for him. I don't want him havin' problems with his employer if it doesn't work out."

This was another side of Rance I had seen before: the thoughtful man, looking at all eventualities.

I had something else on my mind. "I think you should talk to Doreen. See if you're okay with her."

"Yeah. Can you make an appointment? I'll make sure I'm available.

Doreen jumped at the chance for my job, but she was just as full of questions about where I was going. I wasn't about to tell her everything, since it would be around the office in a flash. I needed Rance to give her the speech about security and what that means to her if she took the job.

"I'm not interviewing you. Rance is."

"Rance? Holy shit, Julie. Rance himself?"

"Yes. So be prepared," I chuckled.

"Oh ... I'd better take a Valium."

"Relax, girl. He won't do you any harm ... physically anyway. But he will want to let you know just what the job is all about. I can fill you in on the details afterwards."

"Okay, Julie. If you say so. And ... thanks for getting me this chance. It's the first time I've had an opportunity for a big promotion. I don't want to mess it up."

"Relax ... you'll be fine. I know you can do the job. You covered for me when I was on vacation, so it's just a matter of understanding the security part. What you can and can't say."

If I had any doubts about Doreen, it would be her ability to keep things to herself. It wasn't a job that allowed you to share information unless it was asked for by a person with the credentials warranting it. Like Tim, or Rance, for instance.

She was visibly nervous when she showed up at three that afternoon for her interview. I showed her into Rance's office and closed the door, leaving them alone. It would be interesting to hear what he had to say when they were done. That turned out to be a half-hour later.

"Well, what do you think?" I asked as I walked through Rance's open door.

"I think she can do the job alright. She's pretty anxious to get it, that's for sure. Her file doesn't show any reason not to give her the chance. Can you think of anythin' that might cause a problem?"

I hesitated. "I think she needs to hear the speech from you about loose lips sinking ships. She not a gossip, but just to be sure, she needs to know what's out of bounds when it comes to information. Especially considering how sensitive and personal some of it is."

"Good thinkin'. I think we can get her started right away, then you can judge for yourself if anythin' we don't expect shows up. You certain she can run the database?"

"Yes. Absolutely no problem. She was involved on the design team, remember. Why don't you call her? She'll be sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear."

He smiled and picked up the phone. By the sound of it, Doreen had barely returned to her desk when she answered. By Rance's reaction, she was excited and couldn't wait to get started. Rance decided next Monday would be soon enough. We had other priorities this week.

Buster Rhimes arrived on Thursday evening, and Rance and I met him at the airport. I wasn't prepared for the man that approached Rance with a giant smile and outstretched arms. He was big. Bigger than Rance both in height and weight. He was also black. He walked with a slight limp, but not with what I always thought of as the characteristic gait of a man with an artificial leg.

The other thing I noticed was how he was dressed. Neat, pressed, almost military in his presence. I guess that shouldn't have been a surprise. When they had finished almost crushing each other in welcome, Rance turned to me.

"Julie, I'd like you to meet my very good friend, Brent Rhimes. But almost everyone knows him as Buster. Named after a boxer, I'm told. Buster, this is my fiancée and partner, Julie Sanchez."

"Fiancée!" the big man said in total surprise. Hell, he was no more surprised than I was.

He approached me and for a moment I was worried I was about to be on the receiving end of one of his bear hugs. Fortunately, he had a sense of proportion, and gave me a gentle squeeze.

"Well, well, someone finally got to the Stoneman. Congratulations, Julie."

Stoneman? I wondered, looking at Rance.

"I'll let him explain it to you," Buster said with a big grin.

"I didn't know you served with Rance," I said, now confused.

"I didn't. We were in different units, but in the same area. Everyone knew about Rance. Dragged two of his men to safety, took out a whole mess of Taliban by himself. Hell, they gave him a medal for it," Buster proclaimed.

"I'd heard something about it, but..."

Rance cut the conversation off at that point.

"Enough of that for now. Let's get you to your hotel and we can have a drink and talk."

I had a couple of questions for Rance when we were alone.

I ended up being a bystander at what could only be described as an informal but thorough interview. It was done on a friendly and familiar basis, but I could recognize what Rance was looking for. It was subtle, but it would get him information he wanted in a comfortable and non-confrontational way.

Buster admitted he had a hard time after being released from the army. He wasn't prepared for anything particular in the real world. Rance already knew his skills, but what he was searching for was his attitude and just how dedicated he was to improving himself. I had to admire the skill with which he drew Buster out.

We were in the bar for over two hours, and the whole time, the conversation seemed friendly and general. If Buster was aware of what Rance was doing, he didn't show it. To him, it was a conversation between friends. When we shook hands and agreed to meet him for breakfast Friday morning, I couldn't wait to quiz Rance.

"I had no idea you were so good at that," I said as we walked to the truck.

"Good at what?"

"That interrogation. Did Buster know you were doing that?"

"Yep. Part of trainin'. He knew."

"Well?"

"He'll be fine. I watched his eyes. He was honest. He wasn't hidin' anythin' ... leastways, nothin' important."

"You got all that from just a conversation and his eyes?"

He nodded. "Part of the specialist trainin' I got in Fort Benning. Very helpful when playin' cards," he chuckled.

"I'll bet. And what was that about me being your fiancée? Jumping the gun a bit, aren't you?"

"Are you upset?" It was a serious question.

"No. But, I wish you had prepared me."

"Sweetheart, I've been preparin' you all week. I don't know how many times I've asked you to marry me and you've never said 'No.' I figured I was entitled to make an assumption."

"Oh ... so now I'm sweetheart, am I?"

"You know it," he grinned. "When we get home I'll prove it to you."

Doreen started with me on Monday morning, eager and excited at her new job. Rance had called her into his office just after his meeting with Tim and gave her the security speech all of us had heard at one time or another. Coming from Rance, there was no mistaking that he was deadly serious about security and would tolerate no lapses.

At this stage, Doreen did not know that both Rance and I would be leaving. In fact, she didn't know that the big black man that visited the office on Friday would be her new boss. I didn't expect a problem. Buster was very laid-back, much like Rance. I think it must have come from all the nasty and ugly things they had seen in combat. Working in this environment wouldn't cause anywhere near the same amount of stress.

Rance told me that Buster's interview with Tim went very well, and although the boss was unhappy to lose his head of security, he was pleased that Rance had found an able and likable replacement. Kleinhauser would not suffer in the exchange.

The next three weeks seemed to drag on forever. Doreen, as predicted, picked up my job in no time at all. It once again confirmed that Rance had chosen me for the role because he wanted my nearby. A waste of training and talent, but when I thought back on it, I didn't mind as much as I thought I might. Maybe that year we had spent dancing around each other wasn't wasted after all. Maybe it was what I needed to be sure he was the right man for me.

I began to daydream about what it would be like to be a rancher's wife. What would I do with my time? I'd been in school or competitive swimming when most young girls of my age might have been at home learning some of the domestic skills. I could cook and clean, but nothing special. I had some things to learn. Perhaps Marion would guide me. We seemed to get along well. I hoped she would teach me what I needed to know. At least I knew how to ride. One step at a time, I decided.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.