I'm Not Lisa
Chapter 3: Your Move, Rance

Copyright© 2011 by Coaster2

It took him a while, but Rance finally phoned me and told me what was going on at his home.

"His horse rolled on him when it stumbled and went down. Daddy was underneath and got his leg broke in three places and cracked two ribs. I've heard from people that he was lucky he wasn't killed. Just the same, he's busted up pretty good and won't be getting' around for another couple of months. I've been arrangin' some help for Mom and been fillin' in on the drive to move the herd up to summer pasture.

"I don't know when I'll be able to find another hand to take over for me, but I'm lookin' every day. How are you doin'? You havin' any problems?"

"No ... not really. I miss you. I mean ... I'm making some decisions I wish you were here to say were okay." I'd caught myself just in time.

There was silence on the line for a bit before he spoke.

"You'll be fine, Julie. I trust you. Just do what you think is right. I'll call every day or so and we can talk."

"I'd like that," I said, trying not to put too much meaning into my response.

"Then you can count on it. Maybe if I call around lunch time?"

"I'll be here, waiting for you." Again, I wondered what I was telling him.

"That's good to hear. I'll call you tomorrow. Bye for now."

I almost hated to hang up. I could hear something in his voice that I hadn't heard before. Something that sounded like ... a softness that I wasn't used to. Was Tim right? Did Rance have feelings for me? It was a dream, but was it real? I was too afraid to ask. Why would he choose me?

In the months that I had worked for Rance, I had been able to contain my emotions. He was no less sexy and desirable today than he was the first time I laid eyes on him. Not only that, he was a gentleman. He seemed so out of place in this business, yet he fit like a fine leather glove when it came to doing his job. Unobtrusive, polite, discreet, sensitive ... all the attributes of a professional. A real man as I defined it. Was he shy or overly cautious? That was the question I wanted an answer to.

His calls came just like clockwork, twelve-thirty on the dot. We would talk about business briefly, but most of the time he told me about what he was doing on the ranch and how things were going. I didn't have much to contribute. I wasn't doing very much except work and sleep, with a bit of swimming and exercise thrown in. I found myself trying to define our relationship, but I couldn't. Were we just friends, or, as Tim had suggested, headed for something more?

I had been deferring my vacation while Rance was gone. But it made me wonder what the company did when Rance was away before I came on the scene. I decided to find out.

"Nothing," Doreen said. "Tim pretty much had to kick Rance out of here once a year to take at least two weeks vacation. I think it got to the point where Tim banned him from the premises. I don't know where he went or what he did, but I'm pretty sure he didn't go home."

As I thought about it, I felt that Rance was still fighting some demons from the breakup with Lisa. He didn't sound stressed when we talked every day, and I wondered if he was finally getting over her betrayal. After my visit from Tim, I realized I was being given a warning. Watch out for signs that Lisa was still on his mind.

As Rance and I talked each day, I got the feeling that he wasn't going to be returning any time soon. We weren't currently hiring, and I was pretty much caught up on my work, so I decided to take a chance. I made an appointment to see Tim Kleinhauser.

"I'm overdue for a vacation. I'm caught up, but I'm concerned that Rance won't be back for a while yet. With your permission, I'd like to take some time off. Doreen can cover for me."

Tim had a funny, wrinkled smile on his face.

"Where you planning to go on this vacation?"

"Oh ... I don't know. I thought I'd just get in the car a drive for a while. See some more of the country, you know."

"Some more of the country south and east of here?" he asked, still with that sly grin.

I must have blushed again, and even though my skin was brown, I'm sure it was obvious. "Perhaps."

"Good idea. Why don't you see if you can drag him back up here when you return?"

Was I that transparent? "I'll do what I can," I answered bashfully.

"Good luck," he said, and the meeting was over.

Saturday morning I was on my way to Billings, Cheyenne, and Trinidad. I'd make it in three days, according to my computer mapping. As I drove, I wondered why I was determined to go to Rance. Was it what Tim told me? Was it the implied comfort we had with each other talking on the phone? If so, why didn't I tell Rance I was coming? He'd find out Monday I was on vacation when he phoned in at lunch hour. He'd be upset that I didn't tell him. What was my reception going to be like when I showed up unannounced at the ranch?

I was beginning to have second thoughts. Was I taking too much for granted? I could always call the ranch and tell him I was on my way. Why didn't I want to do that? What made me think it was a good idea to drive twelve-hundred ninety-one miles on a whim?

I didn't sleep worth a damn on Saturday night. The motel was quiet, but my mind was buzzing with random thoughts. One moment I was cursing myself for being so impulsive, the next I had dreams of him sweeping me off my feet and into his bed. Fatigue overcame me sometime in the wee hours and I finally slept.

I woke just before eight and showered and dressed, heading over to the restaurant attached to the motel. A quick breakfast and I was on the road again, headed for Cheyenne. The only trouble with this drive was the amount of time I had to think, rolling over various scenarios in my mind. But no matter all the doubts I harbored, I was inevitably driving to my destination.

I turned my cell phone on Monday morning, knowing Lily on the switchboard could forward important calls to me. I was just south of Pueblo, an hour out of Trinidad when my phone went off.

"Julie Sanchez."

"Where the hell are you?"

There was no doubt whose voice it was. There was none other like it.

"I'm driving south on I-25, about an hour out of Trinidad."

"What! Are you kiddin' me girl?"

"Nope. You've found me out. I came down here to see what a real cattle ranch looks like."

I hoped I sounded more confident than I felt.

"Well I'll be damned. I better give you directions to the ranch then. You got a map?"

"Better than that ... a GPS unit. It's a Kleinhauser too."

"Well then, you turn off at Comanche Flats Road, RR 4. It's just north of Trinidad on the freeway. Go east until you get to County Road 143. You got that?"

"Already programmed in and I'm fifty three miles out, a little less than an hour's drive."

"I'll come out to the junction and wait for you. I'll be drivin' a silver Ford 250 pickup. What are you in?"

"Just a flea-bitten old green Malibu. I'm just a poor working girl, you know," I giggled nervously. I was desperate to lighten the mood. I couldn't tell how Rance felt about my unexpected arrival, but he didn't sound angry.

"Drive careful, girl. I'll be waitin' for you," he said. I thought I could detect that softening of his voice. It sounded almost like he'd be glad to see me. I hoped that was so.

The GPS led me faultlessly to the junction of County Road 143 and Comanche Flats Road. I saw Rance's pickup sitting there, him standing by the front, his foot up on the bumper. Damn that man was a good looking hunk. I slowed and rolled down my window. He strolled over with a funny looking grin and leaned against the window sill.

"Well, lookee who's here? You're a long way from home, Julie girl."

I didn't get the sense that he was displeased, so I decided to keep the mood light.

"Just out for a weekend drive and lo and behold I ended up here."

"Well, I'm real pleased you did. Follow me and I'll guide you to the ranch."

He flashed me that gorgeous smile and strolled back to his pickup. I breathed a sigh of relief as I fell in behind when he turned right and headed south on the paved road. At least I wouldn't be eating dust along the way. We passed several places that look like estates and hobby farms. I saw nothing that looked like a ranch. That is, until we crested a rise and there before me was something out of a movie.

I could see the ranch house, a low main building with a couple of wings, one on each end. There was a barn or stable, a corral, another shed of some kind, and in the distance, acres of fenced land with a few cattle dotted here and there. I could see a couple of trucks parked near the house and some equipment and a tractor up by the barn. This was a working ranch. I couldn't see any other place for miles in any direction.

We turned up a gravel driveway and parked in front of the house. It was a classic ranch house, with log siding and a rough-cut shake roof. It was hard to tell its age, but it had to have been around for some time. Rance was out of his truck and striding towards my car before I even had the motor shut off.

I pushed open the door and got out, stiff from the long drive in confined quarters. I stretched, then realized Rance was watching as he moved toward me. I pulled my arms down and waited to see what happened next.

"Welcome to 3C, Julie," he said awkwardly. I got the impression he was trying to decide whether to hug me in welcome, shake my hand, or just stand back and see what I would do.

"How are you, Rance? You look good. The outdoors is good for you."

"Yeah, I'm good. You look good too."

Talk about awkward. For a guy who was normally as smooth as silk, right this moment he was acting like a kid on his first date. That was a surprise. At least it took away some of my nervousness.

I had a chance to look at him as he led me to the house. Tight denims, wide leather belt, khaki work shirt, Stetson in hand, and of course, the obligatory cowboy boots. The only thing missing was the horse.

"Come in and meet my folks," he said, holding the door open for me.

I walked into the house and was immediately greeted by a gray-haired woman with a big smile and open arms.

"Welcome to our home, Julie. Rance has told us so much about you," she said, hugging me firmly.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.