05 Walker - Cover

05 Walker

Copyright© 2011 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 21

Present – Linus – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

I sprint to the C-130, not because I'm worried, but because I can really use the exercise. The normal guards are on duty and I announce, "Crypt."

They respond, "Kicker."

I state, "You guys need to ramp up security because there's a chance someone might attack us."

He says, "Sir, you need to tell the pilot about this immediately. He's inside the C-130."

I command, "Well, for right now I want you to go on alert status. I have two more men coming which you haven't seen but they know the challenge response. Also remember we have two of my team away from the plane, but they should also know the challenge response. However, we do have Jennifer Donaldson and three others that might not know the challenge response, so don't get trigger happy."

They respond, "Yes Sir" and I watch them start springing into action. Now to find the pilot...

Present – Matt and Jim – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

I run into the office and see Jim and Megan asleep hugging each other so I smile. Megan could be just the thing Jim needs to snap him out of his divorce depression. I slip up to the side of his cot and nudge his shoulder. He wakes and whispers, "Matt, what the hell is going on?"

I answer, "Jim, I don't have time to explain everything, but Jens feels like the airport, and more specifically us, might come under attack. So, it's time for us to earn our keep. I guess there's some sort of special C-130 here where we're to meet Linus and then deploy to defend the airport."

He responds, "Matt, with that kind of a situation, I'm not leaving Megan here."

He tries to wake her but she doesn't wake up so he says, "Fuck it! I'm going to carry her!"

I smile as I watch how carefully he picks her up and I agree, "Okay let's haul ass!"

Jim's doing a hell of a job carrying her as we run towards the C-130. I see it's a beehive of activity. Jim looks at me and asks, "Are they deploying what I think they are?"

I answer, "It sure as hell looks like a ground based anti-aircraft Gatling gun. Shit! It even has radar and I bet it self-tracks any target."

Jim comments with obvious surprise, "These guys really mean business if they have the resources to field something like this! Didn't you say Linus has something to do with these guys?"

The guards see us approach and I yell, "Crypt."

They respond, "Kicker! If you are the two that Linus sent, he's waiting for you inside the C-130."

I answer, "Thanks, we're the guys."

We barely get to the C-130 ramp as Linus meets us and orders, "It's a good thing you brought Megan. Jim, take her inside and get your ass right back here."

Jim heads inside as Linus continues, "Matt, here's your equipment now gear up. Make sure your comset works and get your ass up on the roof of the hanger across the way. Make sure you don't release any of your weapons unless we authorize it."

I look and I'm fucking shocked because I have an M-4 and a tactical harness loaded with mags and frags and two shoulder fired stinger missiles. I gear up, put in my comset and check communications, "Radio test, this is Matt."

Linus replies, "Matt from now on your call sign is Sierra one."

I reply, "Sierra one, in transit to OP."

Present – Jim – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

I'm distracted as hell when I see the inside of the C-130, but I sure don't have time to fuck around gawking. I place Megan on a bed as a guy comes over and says, "I'm a doctor. What's wrong with her?"

I reply, "She really tied one on last night, passed out and hasn't awakened since. Please take care of her."

He responds, "Well, she's in the safest place she can be. I'll take good care of her for you."

I don't want to leave her, but I have a fucking job to do. I run back outside where Linus catches me and states, "Here's your equipment, gear up, do a radio check and get to the top of the main building. Don't release any weapons unless I command you to."

The M-4 and tactical harness don't surprise me but the two shoulder fired stinger missiles are a pleasant surprise. Now I know I can keep the C-130 and consequently Megan safe from any attacks by air. I put in my headset and call, "Jim requesting a com check."

Linus replies, "Okay Jim, you're Sierra two now get into position."

I take off and reply, "Roger, Sierra two headed to OP."

Present – Mike (Capt. M) – Undisclosed location – Washington D.C.

I finish my phone call with Jennifer Donaldson and wonder how the hell she's taking the information I gave her. It was probably a breach of security, no - it was a huge breach of security! But it's about time she knows, as Paul Harvey would have said, 'the rest of the story.' I know eventually she's going to be pissed as hell at me, but...

I never finish my thought because one of my team comes into my private office and interrupts, "Sir, we have several issues which require your immediate attention."

I think oh hell, what's gone wrong with the OPPLAN now as I wheel myself back into the control room. I study the main screen. It's split between the rescue of Elizabeth Morgan and the Robinson airfield and I immediately realize what's going on.

I go into command mode and order, "Connect me to Lima November (the call sign of the cobra gunships escorting the rescue helicopters)."

I hear, "This is Lima November over."

I command, "Lima November, there are hostile aircraft over the rescue site which appear to be attacking the survivors. You are weapons free to engage and destroy all aircraft in the area."

The pilot replies, "Acknowledge order to go weapons free; will be in range in five mikes."

I smile knowing that problem will soon be taken care of - now on to the other issue. I ask, "What resources do we have available to provide support for the Robinson airport?"

My team replies, "Sir this wasn't anticipated and there are no resources in the air. We could have a pair of jets in the air in ten minutes."

I look at the screen and realize in ten minutes it will all be over but I give the order anyway, "Get those jets in the air!"

Present – Jens – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

I can't believe what Mike tells us next ... I don't know if I'm pissed and happy or happy and pissed or if I can even be both at the same time! This information certainly changes things...

After Mike drops the huge bombshell on us about my Ben, I'm fricken speechless. I try several times to say something, then finally blurt it out, "Jack, dammit! Did you know anything about this?"

Jack answers, "Jens, this is the first fucking time I've heard about this."

I question, "Do you think Mike is feeding us a line of bullshit? I mean, when did this happen?"

Jack says, "Jens, I know Mike and I don't see any motivation for him to lie about this. And there were times that I wasn't with Banzai when this could have happened."

Masha interrupts, "Excuse me, may I voice my opinion on this subject?"

I wonder what the heck she could have to say, but I'm curious so I answer, "This discussion is open for everyone."

Masha smiles and replies, "Even though Jack is my husband we often disagree, however concerning what Mike told you about Ben, I agree with my husband. What Mike said is probably true and if you think rationally about it, it explains many things."

Maria says, "Jens, if this is true, then it changes everything..."

I just get ready to answer when Jack interrupts, "Jens, I'm not sure what the hell I see coming toward this airport, but I sure as hell don't like the looks of it! Let's get the fuck out of here and find someplace better to hide!"

Present – Byron – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

By covering his six, I'm helping Thom find out who the hell is messing with Liz Morgan. I look up and see trouble headed toward the airport. I shake Thom's shoulder and strongly suggest, "Thom, we need to get the hell back to the C-130 because something wicked this way comes."

Present – Thom – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

Byron interrupts me and tells me trouble is coming. I look up to see what he's talking about, drop my phone and agree, "Byron, let's get the hell out of Dodge!" We then take off as fast as we can towards the C-130...

Present – Jack – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

I see a group of choppers coming in, too low and too fast for my liking! My training screams that we're sitting ducks in this grounded chopper and I order, "Jens, I'm not sure what the hell I see coming into this airport, but I sure as hell don't like the looks of it! Let's get the hell out of here and find someplace better to hide!"

Everyone looks where I'm pointing as we boil out of the chopper like mad hornets out of a nest and I command, "Quick! Follow me!" We run toward the far side of the building away from the approaching choppers.

I make sure I hold tightly to Masha's hand - she must be scared shitless because she's not used to this sort of action like I am...

Present – Masha – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

Jack is squeezing my hand with such great force it hurts. I know he has great concern for me, and it is touching that he loves me so intensely. I am very thankful I made arrangements for our son Ivan to have a babysitter at the hotel because I would be very nervous if he was here with us.

My greatest problem is determining which of my actions will be most appropriate during this crisis. My instinct is to withdraw the pistol I have concealed in my purse and prepare to engage the helicopters. But I am hesitant because I do not want to deal with the many questions that act would illicit.

I have already revealed too much of my former life and I cannot afford to reveal everything. If more becomes known, I might lose Jack...

Present – Jens – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

Dammit! We're caught flat footed! Not a one of us has a weapon and we have multiple Loaches1 headed toward us in obvious attack formation. I'm not sure, but it looks like they carry ground assault teams. I can only hope Linus had the time to deploy everyone to protect the airport.

1 Hughes OH-6 Cayuse (nicknamed "Loach", after the requirement acronym LOH - light Observation Helicopter) is a single-engine light helicopter with a four-bladed main rotor used for personnel transport, escort and attack missions, and observation.

I look at Maria and complain, "This is a hell of a time not to have any weapons."

She shakes her head, "Jens, who would have believed that we would be attacked at a civilian airport. Who the hell do you think it is?"

Jack interrupts, "I would say it's the same people that have been hindering the search and rescue of Liz."

Masha surprisingly adds, "Jennifer, there are many intrigues in the political world for which the Truth Network broadcasts have caused much caustic consternation. The parties involved feel that you, your fiancé Ben and Elizabeth Morgan are to blame for their misfortune and have chosen this most inopportune time to attempt to exact revenge. They wrongly believe if they eliminate you three then it will precipitate the demise of the Truth Network."

I look at Maria and she shakes her head...

Present – Maria – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

Just who the hell and what the hell did Masha Reynolds do before she married Jack? First she kicks not only Megan's ass, she kicks my ass at the same time. The truth still hurts even though she was somewhat lucky because I was distracted at the time. Since that time she's been providing us with excellent intel – soccer mom my ass! She fights better and knows more than any soccer mom I've ever heard of. Something about her reminds me of ... yeah the twisted sisters! Now, I have someone else to add to my growing watch list!

Thanks to the crusty old fart being alert, we make it around the side of the building before the 'real fun' begins. I worry about Linus because he's at the C-130 and that has to be a huge target of opportunity for whoever is attacking us. I'm distracted as Masha pulls Jack to the side, they have an animated conversation and she hands him something out of her purse ... I watch as Jack checks the pistol she handed him ... Okay, now I know she's no fucking soccer mom!

I mention to my Princess Boss, "Well, it looks like we're not totally without weapons."

She's been watching the choppers and says, "What do you mean?"

I answer, "Masha had a pistol in her purse and she just gave it to Jack."

My Princess Boss replies, "Well that's better than nothing, but as Ben always said, 'a pistol is only good to fight your way back to where you left your rifle' and unfortunately we have no rifles. Look here they come!"

Present – Thom – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

With my messed up leg, I can't move fast enough to make it to the C-130 before the choppers arrive. I tell Byron, "Look, I'm slowing you up. Leave my ass and get to the C-130."

He answers, "Thom, forget it! I'm not leaving you behind. Look, there's some trucks over there, lets head for them."

As we head toward the trucks, it suddenly gives me an idea and I remark, "Byron, if you weren't so old and ugly I'd kiss you!"

He answers, "No thanks Thom, you're not my type!"

As we reach the trucks, I explain my idea to Byron and he says, "Thom, you're still one devious old bastard."

Now to see if I can do what I do so well - cause a distraction...

Byron helps me with the truck as first we find the keys behind the visor. Then we start it, wheel it out of the parking place, point it towards the choppers and troops at the end of the field and then we find a big assed rock to smash down the accelerator. The engine sounds like it's going to explode as I slam the automatic transmission into gear and the truck takes off like it's being driven by Mad Max headed right towards the bastards that are attacking us.

I look at Byron as he dryly comments, "Well this should stir things up."

He's right again as we see one of the choppers jump back into the air

Present – Linus – Private Airport – Washington D.C.

Because this is America, even though I'm damn sure we're under attack, I don't dare give the order to fire until they fire first. The choppers are – well they're being cagy. They stop at the far end of the airport where they approached, and then set down – shit they're deploying troops.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.