A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 21

Two months later and a new company had been formed with a number of specific products in mind. The Stafford site was being modernised and prepared for the new company. Mr. Kopolova had sourced raw materials at excellent rates. Tamsin had been seconded to the new company and was tasked with generating customer interest and had taken to her new role like a duck to water. It suited her better than her old job as she could configure it around her regular hospital schedule. I was trying to keep a lid on everything else.

'Well David, I do believe that everything is almost in place.' Mr. Kopolova said one evening after a brief unofficial meeting in his study.

'I think so. Tamsin already has enough orders for the first few months, subject to the final product meeting specification that is. All the IT is in place, at least the hardware is and the software is the same as the main company. I'll soon be getting bored and looking for something else.'

'That brings me to something else I want to discuss.' He said. 'What is the situation between you and Natasha?'

'In what way?' I asked, slightly worried that he had seen something that I'd missed.

'It seems that she has almost moved in with you, and I only say almost because she always manages to spend a few days a week here but even then you are nearly always here too.'

'I suppose that is a pretty accurate assessment, ' I responded. 'We seem ... just so comfortable with each other.'

'Any sign of the old Natasha reappearing?'

'Not unless you count when I do something wrong.' I laughed.

'That's just the woman thing.' He said joining in with my laughter.

'So it seems. Seriously though, I couldn't be happier. Even the bad days are made easier when we talk and share.'

'So you think this is something long-term?' He said, asking the million dollar question.

It didn't take much thought for me to answer. 'I hope so.'

'Good! That has been my take on it too. That brings me to why I asked. I've seen the way the introduction of my daughter has improved that company and I can't see why a similar thing shouldn't work at the new one.' He said before studying me closely. 'I think you would fit that role well so I want you to think about becoming the new company's M.D.'

To say I was shocked would be an understatement. 'What about you?' I managed to ask.

'Oh, I'll still be around, more so than with the old place but I've decided to leave all the mundane, day-to-day stuff to you and be selective in what I take on. That way I can come and go almost as I please.'

I was quiet for a good while as I considered the implications of Mr. Kopolova's offer. It ensured that I had a job and that it didn't entail me working for Natasha. For some reason, maybe just misplaced masculine pride, I wasn't truly comfortable working for Natasha. No, that was wrong it was working for the woman who was my girlfriend that really bothered me.

Later Natasha and Petra joined us for the evening meal. It was Petra, always the most aware of people's vibes, who picked up on my demeanour.

'Okay David, let's have it.' She laughed.

I tried to look nonchalant but probably failed.

'You look like the cat that got the cream and as Nat has been with me all afternoon it must be something you and Uncle K. have been discussing.'

Natasha looked at me quizzically whilst her father just smiled. I explained Mr. Kopolova's offer to them.

'You have accepted of course.' Natasha stated.

'Not yet... ' I started.

'Why on earth not. Give me one good reason... ' She demanded before it was my turn to interrupt.

'Because I haven't had the chance to discuss it with my girlfriend yet.' I said smiling partly about what I'd said but also at Mr. Kopolova's attempt to hide his laugh.

Just for a change, I'd managed to shut Natasha up, at least momentarily.

'And if she approves?'

'Then of course I will accept.'

Later that night, as she lay naked in my arms, she asked if I was really waiting for her approval. My affirmative answer was the last sensible word I spoke for some time as Natasha demonstrated just why men have been trying to keep their women happy for eons.

Over the next few days I came to realise that I had reached a major crossroads in my life. I had the chance of everything I'd ever wanted since my parents had died. I wanted to love a woman who loved me and to have a job that paid enough that I didn't need to scrimp and save. Basically to be happy. I had dreamed of being in this position though at the time I would have considered it more of a nightmare that it was with Natasha Kopolova.

It all came into focus one Saturday lunchtime as I walked, hand-in-hand, with Natasha through Hanley, our city's shopping district. We planned to meet up with Petra and her girlfriend for some shopping therapy. Naturally, I'd done my utmost to get out of it but my woman wasn't having it. She had declared that I needed a new wardrobe to go along with my new job and it was one of a girlfriend's roles to perform this onerous task. So onerous that she needed her cousin's help.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.