A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 13

The next two weeks were a whirlwind of activity. First was the analysis; what desperately needed computerisation, what would greatly benefit and where would help be minimal. Budget constraints then ensured that much work was required. Along with numerous meetings prioritising that work. Then came sourcing, what would be the best hardware to do what we needed now, yet still allow for the planned expansions. What software could we get off the shelf and what bespoke work would we need. Discussions with Richard suggested that the latter would be more cost effective and beneficial if I did the programming myself. I could program quite happily in C but had never taken on anything this demanding. The option of using a contractor was mentioned but the cost was prohibitive.

I worked late into most evenings as well as all through that first weekend. All I saw was work and my bed. It was so bad that for the first time in half a dozen years I went two weeks without any alcohol at all. Amongst other things I noticed, and weren't too happy about, were the working conditions that Richard imposed. He expected everyone to work long hours, except himself of course, and without reward or even a thank you. I noticed the tooling was only of reasonable standard and at a minimum level required. I'd taken a drop in salary yet it seemed that I was still the highest paid member of the workforce. It was a shock after working at Kopolova's, where staff relations were excellent, as was all tooling.

The first image of Richard at the pub when he was insulting and condescending to Maureen, turned out to be closer to his natural character. Still, I'd made my bed, as they said, now I had to lie on it.

There was a natural lull between ordering the equipment and it being installed. I was still busy fine tuning the analysis but I was now able to leave work as a socially acceptable time. I still hadn't heard anything from Tamsin but accepted that may well have been because I was never home. I decided to call her to see how things stood.

'Hi Tommy, is Tamsin about?'

'Just a sec, I'll get her... ' I waited a few moments before Tommy returned. 'She wants to know if you're ringing to apologise.'

That threw me. I hadn't expected her to talk through her husband.

'No Tommy, but her question answers mine. Looks like she assumes that being in a wheelchair outweighs everything else. I'll just say goodbye and sorry that she feels that way.'

'I understand, ' he said before hanging up.

"I wish I did" I thought.

'Fancy a quick pint after work?' Richard asked on Friday afternoon.

'Sure, give me half an hour to drop the car off and I'll see you at the "Dog".'

'We're only having a couple.'

'I don't drink and drive at all.' I stated flatly. I almost added something about he shouldn't do it either but I still didn't know him well enough and he was my boss. I'd also realised, that for all his relaxed attitude that first night, he was still a successful businessman and had a bit of a ruthless streak about him. We'd already had a few disagreements regarding cost and time scale. I also noticed that Maureen was not as open and friendly when Richard was around.

I got home just before half past six and didn't really feel like going back out. It took ten minutes arguing with myself before deciding that a pint, or two maximum, might help me relax.

As I approached Lyn's house I had a sudden dilemma. I could see her in the tiny front garden and judging by the squeals I could hear then Sarah was there too, just hidden by the dividing hedge. She had her back to me so I could easily turn around and take a longer route. "Sod it" I thought, "why should I worry," so I carried on. Initially I planned on walking past with my eyes straight ahead and only speak if spoken to. It only took a few forward steps to acknowledge that whilst I could do that to Lyn, I couldn't ignore little Sarah.

It turned out academic anyway. I couldn't help looking for the little girl as I approached and she saw and recognised me immediately.

'David!!!' She screamed and rushed to the gate. 'I knew you'd come back.' She added joyously.

"Shit!" I hadn't expected that.

Lyn turned around and looked straight at me. I'm sure that I looked just as embarrassed as Lyn did.

'Hello, ' she said, surprisingly not unpleasantly.

By then her daughter was standing by the gate with her arms up in the air pointing towards me. The request was obvious and I felt I had no choice but to pick her up. As soon as she was in my arms I knew that I was glad that at least someone was truly glad to see me.

Sarah didn't say anything but did look at her mother, defying her to make any negative comment. I also then looked at Lyn unsure about her reaction.

'I see I'm not the only one who hasn't forgotten you.' She said softly with a rueful smile. 'Would it help if I apologised for my rather rash reaction.'

I felt Sarah turn to look at me, obviously awaiting an answer. It was equally obvious that although she didn't know just what was going on, the youngster recognised that something was. Looking at Sarah and smiling at her gave me the time to get over Lyn's surprising words and attitude.

'Nothing to apologise for, I just opened my mouth before my brain was in gear.'

Lyn must have mellowed or something as her daughter, far more in tune with her mother's moods, relaxed and lay her head against me.

'I've talked to Mum. She told me what you said and it's not what I chose to hear.'

Holding Sarah made me feel happier than I had for a long time and may have played its part in my decision to ask, 'If I ask you out again do you think you can forget it, or at least give me chance to explain properly?'

I saw that I had surprised her and she needed some time to think. After a few seconds, which felt like hours, without a response, I added sadly. 'Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I should have known better.' As I spoke I tried to put Sarah down, but she was having none of it. She held me around the neck tightly and kept her knees tight against her chest.

'Looks like my daughter has more sense than her mother.' Lyn said with a little laugh. 'You didn't upset me at all, just the opposite in fact, but you certainly surprised me, after all I said some pretty nasty things to you.'

'So you'll give it another try?' I asked nervously. I wasn't sure exactly why, but this question took on great importance to me.

'Yes, I'd like that.'

'When?' I asked immediately and felt like a ten year old told he could go to the fair.

She was smiling happily as she answered. 'Now unlike little Madam there, I don't think you were actually heading to see us.' She paused long enough to see me shake my head. 'So, unless you have time to come in for a few minutes, shall we say tomorrow. Lunch or evening?'

I laughed and looked at Sarah. 'What do you think kid? Can I trust your mum enough not to attack me if I go in the house with her?'

Of course the seven year old gave my question due consideration. 'She doesn't usually attack anyone except to tickle them.' She giggled. 'And I'll protect you if she tries.' I was smiling when she leaned in to whisper, although the volume remained just the same. 'I'll even tell you where Mummy is ticklish.'

Any signs of discomfort were blown away by that as both of us burst into laughter, quickly joined by Sarah.

'I thought you'd be on my side?' Lyn told her daughter through tears of laughter.

Another absolutely delightful giggle from the youngster was accompanied by a vigorous shaking of the head.

'In that case, as long as you protect me, I'll risk going in the house.' I said, trying, and failing, to keep a straight face.

Lyn looked at me making no attempt to hide her own laughter. 'You're worse than her.' She scolded.

Once inside I was seated on the two-seater sofa, along with my seven year old attachment.

'Drink? Tea, coffee or something stronger?'

'Stronger I think.'

Being an all female household, sadly there was no beer but an excellent bottle of white wine was produced.

'I do like a glass of Sancerre, ' I commented.

'Now I am impressed, you certainly know your wines.' A surprised Lyn said.

'I do know a bit, for example the grape used in this is Sauvignon Blanc, however the main reason I know it's a Sancerre is that I can read the label from here.'

'Oh you! You had me going for a minute there.'

We talked for a while, skirting the obvious topic. Eventually Lyn apologised again and asked me to finish what I was saying on our date. Knowing it was about sex I looked down at Sarah as if to remind her mother of her presence. I was a little surprised to see that the little girl was fast asleep.

'You have an adoring fan there. She was so hurt when I said you wouldn't be around to see her again, not that she believed me. Seems as if she was right too. Now about that night.'

'Okay. Before my parents died, a date to me was nothing more than a prequel to sex. If I really like a girl I may have waited for a second, but no more than that. I never forced anyone. If she said no, fine but it was straight home and goodbye. That attitude cost me my brother.'

'Oh! Did you fall out or something?'

Although I had told her about losing my parents in an accident, I always felt too guilty to mention my brother being in the car too. 'No he died in the same accident as my parents.'

'I don't follow. Why do you feel that you were responsible then?'

'Because I persuaded him, against his will really, to go with them just so I had an empty house in which to get laid.'

Lyn leaned over and placed her hand on my knee. 'Oh David, I'm sorry, I didn't know.'

'Anyway after that I shied away from that type of girl or woman. When I eventually got around to dating again I wanted just the opposite. I wanted a relationship more than I wanted sex. Now I know who and what I am. I am nothing special and the girls that had sex with me on those first dates no doubt had sex with most of their other first dates. One thing I did learn is that you couldn't truly tell which was which until you asked. Since then I've only ever asked for a second date if a girl said no.'

'And if she said yes?'

'Then we both had some fun but it was end of story.'

'So what happened with me, I may have misheard, being rather incensed at the time, but it didn't seem to me that you asked, more as if you assumed.'

I grinned. 'That was the problem. I was so relaxed with you and after listening to your story I did assume.' I held my hand up at this point to ensure that she didn't interrupt. 'I assumed that you were a definite no. To compound that error I had to try and explain something without thinking it through first. I really don't blame you for misunderstanding though I thought your reaction was rather OTT.'

'I'm sorry it was, but that was your own fault.' She said with a little laugh.

'My fault?'

'Yes your fault. If you hadn't made that Saturday so splendid then I wouldn't have been so disappointed. I'm that used to men wanting me for one thing, especially when they know that I'm a single mother, that I didn't really believe in you. I was actually looking for a reason to prove you were no different.'

There was a long lull before Lyn stood up. 'Let me take sleeping beauty here she needs to be in bed.'

'I'll take her up, ' I said struggling to stand up. It's not as easy as you thing with arms full of child.

I followed Lyn upstairs and lay Sarah down on her bed, before leaving the room so that her mother could undress her. 'Go give her a goodnight kiss.' I was told when Lyn was done.

We were half way down the stairs when the front door opened and Lyn's mother walked in. As the door opened directly at the foot of the stairs she immediately saw us.

'And what are you doing sneaking downstairs with my daughter?' She asked sternly but fortunately I could also see a twinkle in her eye.

'We've been putting your granddaughter to bed if you must know.' Lyn said sarcastically.

'Oh, and here's me thinking you'd been putting David to bed.'

'Mother!!' Lyn exclaimed, making me wish I was in front of her so I could see her expression.

A very embarrassed Lyn then decided that it was a good time for me to say goodnight.

'I'm guessing that you'd prefer lunchtime tomorrow.' Lyn said half asking and half in confirmation.

I thought for a second or two. 'Yes, how did you guess?'

She smiled softly. 'Easy, you want to see Sarah. I knew there'd be a time I became jealous of my daughter but I thought I'd be safe until she was at least a teenager.'

'I do want to see your adorable little girl but I also desire to see her beautiful mother.'

We agreed a time and as I left, I was even given a kiss on the cheek.

Standing at the gate I turned towards home. I'd explain on Monday why I'd failed to make it to the pub.

We chose another child friendly pub, this time somewhere that did a reasonable pub meal. Eating with a seven year old bundle of energy was a first for me, at least first as an adult. My meal took at least twice as long to finish with each mouthful interspersed with a question or comment from Sarah. Naturally Lyn found it highly amusing.

Lyn's pretend jealousy raised its head again when she complained about Sarah sitting on my knee after our lunch.

'Do you think your mummy should sit here instead?' I whispered into Sarah's ear.

She thought about it for a while then nodded.

'Go get her then.'

Sarah did just that; she jumped down, stepped across to her mother and pulled her up. I think Lyn thought she wanted to go to the toilet or something. The look of shock on her face as her daughter pushed her back to me. She was already a little off balance so it was easy for me to grab her and force her onto my knee.

'There you are Mummy, ' the seven year old said looking extremely smug and then giggled when I winked at her. 'I'm going to play on the swing.'

I still had my arms around Lyn and was enjoying the physical contact. I was also pleased that she made no effort to get up, rather she laid her head against me as we both watched her laughing daughter run off. For the next twenty odd minutes I sat there totally at ease with the world. No word passed between us as our communications went much deeper. After just a few moments Lyn's hand gently held my arms as the hugged her. Then her head, already against my shoulder was turned to face me as she snuggled up even closer. They say that sexual intercourse is the most intimate a man and woman can get but those long minutes just holding Lyn felt far more intimate than any sexual encounter I'd ever had.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.