A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 9

I'd recovered a little by Monday morning, even to the extent that I was joking about Saturday, Saturday lunch that is.

'I fell in love over the weekend, ' I told Tamsin and Michelle as we waited for Stephen Kenny to arrive for a meeting, with me in my new role, rather than as one of Stephen's staff.

'Ooh! What's her name?' Asked Michelle.

'How old is she?' Asked Tamsin.

'Her name is Sarah and she's ... seven.' I said laughingly.

'Oh you've no chance then, ' joked Michelle, who with two young girls of her own, had a fair idea what they could do to us poor men. 'My pair have their poor Daddy jumping through hoops for them.'

'Let me guess, ' Tamsin added looking at me, 'her mother's pretty nice too.'

Suddenly the conversation was heading in a direction that I didn't want. Brief thoughts of how Saturday had ended went through my mind but I was saved from embarrassment by Stephen's arrival.

The meeting, about hardware requirements for the upcoming changes, went swiftly and easily.

'I wish all my meetings with other departments went so well, ' smiled Stephen as we finished.

'Maybe if all the others had an IT man representing them they would, ' grinned Tamsin.

Nodding his agreement Stephen left the meeting room asking Michelle to follow him.

As I walked behind Tamsin to push her back to her desk, she stopped me.

'Well, what really happened this weekend?'

I tried to fob her off but no such luck. She got the basics out of me and we arranged to meet after work, or should that be that Tamsin arranged and I most reluctantly agreed. Since the episode with her husband and sister, Tamsin had become even more relaxed around me and we had grown even closer.

Late that afternoon I had a meeting with Natasha and Petra to update them with the IT upgrade situation.

'Ah! Here he is now, ' our erstwhile M.D. said as I entered her room. Petra as usual said nothing.

'I was just telling my cousin here how jealous you were on Friday.'

I stopped to think. I'd been through many emotions that weekend but jealousy was one of the few to pass me by. 'I don't recall that.' I said honestly.

'Don't give me that. I saw how you looked at me when I walked in that little party of yours with Justin. I knew you were no different from every other man that sees me.'

I couldn't help myself, I burst out laughing. 'Oh thanks Natasha, I really needed to lighten up somewhat.' I then became serious. 'That look you saw was a cross between contempt, pity and just a little disappointment. Oh! And it wasn't my party or even my type of party.'

When she didn't respond, other than pull a puzzled face, I continued. 'Contempt for him as the city's most obnoxious man and pity for you because you actually seemed pleased to be with him.'

'What about the disappointment?' Petra asked with a slight smirk.

'That was in myself for thinking that the way you've changed at work would be reflected outside. With hindsight I'll add another; satisfaction that this city's two biggest egos and obnoxious personalties had found each other and everyone else was spared.'

Petra was actually giggling when I'd finished and Natasha's glare only subdued it slightly. Almost as soon as I had spoken, I knew that I shouldn't be saying things like that to my boss but given my current mood I didn't really care.

'Get out! You're fired.' Spluttered Natasha with clear venom in her eyes.

I smiled at Petra before turning and heading back to my desk. I quickly retrieved the few personal things there and headed to Personnel making a quick detour to tell Tamsin that I would meet her at the pub after work, rather than at her desk. I didn't say why.

As I was now known to the senior managers of the group I went straight to see Mike Towers, the Personnel Manager. I explained to him what had happened and waited whilst he first spoke to Natasha on the phone and then went to talk to her in person.

'Miss Kopolova is adamant that you leave even if she won't tell me exactly what you did wrong other than "Diss" her, whatever that means.' He explained on his return.

'Disrespect. I didn't show her the respect that she felt that she deserves.' I explained.

'And did you?'

'She made comments about what happened at a party on Friday night. It was outside of work, and outside of work I do have a complete lack of respect for her. I told her so.'

'Was anyone else there?'

I nodded. 'Petra English.'

'Ah! Miss Kopolova's cousin, you may be in trouble then.'

'Petra won't lie if you ask her direct questions although it's unlikely that she'll volunteer any answers.'

He looked at me strangely. 'You seem sure of that.'

I nodded.

'Alright, I'll talk to her and find out what really happened, in the mean time I suggest you go home and I'll be in touch.'

I went home, strangely calm, given what had happened. Being honest with myself, I admit to a tendency to self destruct when I'm feeling low, so my behaviour in Natasha's office was consistent with that. The big difference was that after I had done my usual childish thing of throwing my toys out the pram, I always felt remorseful. This time I didn't, I actually felt sort of relieved, though no doubt that would change once the bills started to arrive without a corresponding pay packet.

My phone was ringing when I walked through the door and on answering it was put through to Mike Towers. 'Hi David. Not sure what went on but you have opened a real hornets' nest. Miss Kopolova is apoplectic and anyone who gets even close is getting her fury with both barrels. I decided to speak to her father and have told him the basic details. He asked, no make that insisted, that I get you to ring him ASAP. I have his number here.' He read out a local number which I scribbled down.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.