A Critical Path
Chapter 40

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Ellie did indeed post an advertisement in the village shop on Monday. Geraldine rang her within two hours.

"Yes please, Ellie," she said.

"I can't. You're just being kind again."

"I'm not. I've been wanting a cleaner for months since Mrs Outhwaite decided she was getting too old. I admit I've been waiting for you to get fit. Please, Ellie."

"OK but you set my wages."

"Seven-fifty an hour. I used to pay Mrs O seven but inflation and all."

"That's one-fifty more than I used to get in Liverpool."

"Yes, my dear, but I suspect that round here we're a bit richer so you ought to milk us a bit."

Ellie chuckled. "Dead right on the richer! OK, you're on, Geraldine." She chuckled again. "At this rate I'll be working for my daughter and claiming petrol 'cept I haven't got a car and can't drive."

Geraldine laughed. "If they can't sort out that cottage themselves over a weekend they need their bottoms smacked."

"My poor little Sally!"

Geraldine pealed with laughter. "Want to bet?"

Ellie sniggered. "No! Do you want me to start tomorrow?"

"That's not too soon?"

"No, and, Geraldine, no cash. You knock it off my rent."

"Are you sure?"

"Quite and we need to go into Ripon next week and get me off Job Seekers and onto Income Support."

"OK, my dear. We'll work something out."

Geraldine related their conversation to Nigel at lunchtime. "She's impressed me from the word go," she finished, "and now she's done it again. Ellie is not a sponger and is totally honest."

Nigel nodded. "I get the impression that that has carried over to Sally too."

"Absolutely! Remember her reaction to Catriona when they went shopping together?"

"I do and I'll bet Nick does too."

A Mrs Mainwaring rang the next day. She also wanted three hours a week and was happy to pay £7.50 an hour.

"Where do you live?" asked Ellie, "because I haven't got transport."

"Oh, Lord! A mile north of the village on the Douthwaite road."

"No probs! I might be a bit short of breath when I arrive but that's no problem. When do you want me?"

"Wednesdays?"

"Fine."

"Do you have any references?"

"No but Mrs Braithwaite knows me. I'm doing for her on Tuesdays."

"Oh well, if Geraldine's taking you on I've no problems. Could you start tomorrow?"

"Yes. Nine?"

"Perfect. See you then."

Ellie was thrilled: two jobs in two days. Then though there was silence.

"I need more," she thought. "I wonder. I bet Sylvie does it all but I wonder whether The Angel could do with a cleaner, just front of house. I could crack that in an hour or an hour and a half. I might even give her discount on the half!"

She worked Tuesday and Wednesday and was pleased and relieved that her back stood up to it. The walk to the Mainwarings' was not a problem either. On Thursday at lunchtime, reckoning it would be quiet she went to the pub.

"Hi, Ellie!" Sylvie greeted her. "On your own too!"

Ellie smiled. "Dead brave, aren't I? I didn't reckon there'd be too many sex fiends around on a Thursday lunchtime."

Sylvie laughed. "So what can I get you?"

"A lemonade please and then I'd like a word with you."

Sylvie looked mystified but poured Ellie her drink for which she paid.

"Go on then," she said.

Ellie looked down for a moment and then looked up again. "I'm on Income Support," she said, "and I don't like it. OK, I'm never going to earn a lot so I don't mind being on Council Tax Benefit but I'm fit again now and want to pay my way."

"I saw your advert."

"Yeah, well I've got two jobs already but I could do with more. I just wondered whether you could do with a cleaner."

"I could, Ellie, but we can't afford it. OK, we've got a bit of a reputation for good food but it's mostly weekend trade because there's no through traffic. Other than that it's a few local beer drinkers during the week and they don't really bring in a lot of money."

Ellie nodded. "I thought that's what you might say. It's just that with the weekend trade you and Terry are run off your feet and I thought that I might be able to help get the front of house sorted out."

"We are; and with all the prep at the weekend I don't really have the place as clean as I'd like on Saturday and Sunday mornings."

"Well that's what I thought. I wondered whether you'd like me to put in an hour on each. I'm sure I could crack it in that time."

"I'm sure you could but I still don't think we could afford you. What do you charge?"

"Seven-fifty to the big houses but seven and a lemonade for you."

Sylvie laughed. "We'd lose the fifteen pence on the lemonade."

"Six eighty-five," grinned Ellie.

"You drive a hard bargain. I'd love to take you on but I must discuss it with Terry first."

"Yeah! Understood. Let me know. I won't be hurt if you say no."

"Thanks, Ellie, for your offer and your understanding. I'll get back to you."

"Pity," thought Ellie, "I had hoped for an hour a day but I can see their problem. I'll be lucky if I get Saturday and Sunday."

Sylvie rang the next morning. "You're on," she said. "Could you do Monday mornings as well?"

"Yeah, no problem."

"Great! Can you start this Saturday?"

"Yup! What time do you want me?

"Half past eight?"

"You're on. Thanks, Sylvie."

"My pleasure," Sylvie replied feelingly. "I might have time to breathe."

Ellie laughed. "See you Saturday."

At about mid-day on Saturday a car she did not recognise pulled up outside her front door. She was astonished to see Nick climb out. She went out to greet him by which time Sally was also out of the car. She kissed them both and then gestured at the car.

"Have you downsized then?" she asked Nick.

He smiled and looked at Sally.

"No, Mum. It's mine. I passed my test yesterday and Nick gave me this today. I drove all the way here."

"Wow! Well done, love. Not everyone passes the test first time. What is it?"

"A VW Golf."

"Very smart." She walked round it then opened the door and inspected the interior. "Very smart indeed."

"It's pretty nippy too: much quicker than the car I learnt on."

Nick wiped his forehead ostentatiously. "Don't I know it? Jenson Button."

"Rubbish! I drove very sedately."

"Heaven help me when you speed up."

"Ooh!" growled Sally. "I never went faster than fifty."

"Even on the hairpin bends."

"There weren't any, you beastly man. Really, Mum!"

Ellie looked at Nick and winked.

"Ooh!" growled Sally again. "You're both ganging up on me. I've a jolly good mind to drive home and leave you here, Nicholas Braithwaite."

"Yum!" smiled Nick unrepentantly.

Ellie threw back her head with laughter. Sally advanced on Nick with her claws unsheathed and then, a foot from him, leapt and wound her arms round his neck.

"I hate you," she snarled and gave him a smacking kiss.

Nick smilingly looked at Ellie. "She drove perfectly," he said. "I couldn't fault her."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.