A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 38

When Nick and Sally finally got to their bedroom that evening neither said a word but moved into each other's arms. They clung together, not passionately but lovingly and gratefully, both knowing that each had supported the other variously throughout the day. They undressed and washed silently. They were both weary but the silence was still eloquent. In bed together they once again just held each other.

"Sally, my Puss, thank you," whispered Nick. "Diana clearly enjoyed her day and I was watching you this evening. Everyone, even Helen, loves you. I am so proud of you as well as loving you to bits."

Sally purred. There was no other way to describe it. Nick tightened his hold fractionally.

"You really are my little Puss."

"Mmm!"

"Sleep tight, my darling, but don't purr too loudly."

"Mmm."

It was Sally who woke in the small hours to find herself apart from Nick. She reached out tentatively and found a hand. There was a soft grunt of pleasure. She clasped it gently. Her instinct was to cuddle back up to him but she restrained herself.

"He's desperately tired," she thought. "This visit was very important to him and he feels very strongly about keeping things going when the whole economic climate is against him. He's so loyal to his people."

Again she resisted the urge to snuggle up against him. Instead she took his hand in both of hers and laid them against her cheek. She fell asleep once more.

She awoke before the alarm went off. Nick was still dead to the world. Although he only had another twenty minutes she left him, sliding gently out of bed. She went and showered but still didn't want to wake him so she slipped downstairs and got everything ready for cooking breakfast.

Diana materialised beside her and, much to Sally's surprise, hugged her.

"Good morning, Sally," she said. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes thanks, Diana, and you?"

"Flat out. Edwin's still a gonner."

Sally giggled. "So's Nick but the alarm's going to go off in a couple of minutes so I can go up and get dressed."

"Don't get delayed. Remember you've got guests to feed."

Sally looked at her slightly disconcerted for a moment. Then, "YOU ARE A VERY WICKED LADY," she said in measured tones.

"Yes, Mrs Braithwaite." Diana pealed with laughter, pulled Sally into her arms again and hugged her tightly. "And I love you, both of you. I can't tell you why because I don't know but you're special and that I do know."

Sally did not know where to put herself she was so embarrassed.

Diana released her. "Show me where the coffee makings are and go and get dressed. Don't rush. My lord and master will leave everything until the last minute and then bolt his breakfast without any appreciation." The affectionate way she said it took any criticism out of the remark.

Sally did as she was told. She saw that Nick was up and went to him. She pressed herself up against his back with her hands round his waist while he shaved.

"Good morning, my love."

"Good morning, sweet Puss."

"I love you."

"I know and it's the most wonderful feeling in the world. I love you too, very, very much. Thank you, my Sally." He took a last swipe with the razor and turned to her taking her in his arms. "Now you're going to be smelly again because I haven't showered yet."

"Nice smell." She eased herself away. "Much as I'd prefer to stay where I am I must get on. Diana's already down." She kissed his chest, smiled up at him and went to get dressed.

After breakfast the two men left for the office tour. Sir Edwin again noted the friendly respect in which Nick was held. He was also impressed by the cheerfulness and professionalism of everyone. He did not get a chance to speak privately to Melanie but resolved to ring her on Monday morning without fail. He wanted her views on Nick, even though he was pretty sure what they were.

Although Diana had declared that all she wanted to do was 'flump' Sally persuaded her to go for a walk with her. Despite what Diana had said earlier Sally was still a little reserved but it became quite clear that Diana had meant what she said. The two of them were soon nattering happily without reserve.

At the end of the tour the two men went back to Nick's office.

"Well, Nick," said Sir Edwin, "I hope you're proud of your empire because everyone that I spoke to from manager to foreman is proud of you and Marshall of Liverpool."

Nick smiled. "Thank you, sir. I am proud of them and grateful too. They've really given of themselves to get this area back to where it should be. They're a great bunch."

"So, any worries?"

"Yes, sir. We've got work for the next eighteen months but after that, apart from one pretty remote possibility, we have nothing except maintenance jobs. Everyone is pulling in their horns because of the financial climate, particularly the public sector. Judging by the reports at the last Board Meeting other area managers are in the same boat."

Sir Edwin nodded. "So what do you think we ought to do about it?"

"I'm putting together a paper which I shall submit to the Board which I think is going to recommend two main things: that we should be getting involved in national plans like the high speed railway, although we've missed the boat there, and also expanding into Europe."

"All right, Nick. That sounds interesting and I shall look forward to seeing your paper. I won't ask you to expand on what you've said because you're probably not really ready to yet but I like the sound of it."

"Thank you, sir."

"Well I don't know about you but I'm about ready for a pint."

"So am I, sir."

Sir Edwin stopped to say goodbye to Megan on their way out. "Take care of him," he said.

Megan beamed. "I'll do my best, Sir Edwin, but to some extent I've been usurped by a certain tech assistant."

The Chairman laughed delightedly raised his hand in salutation and went through the door. Nick winked at her and followed him. "See you on Monday, Megan," he said over his shoulder.

"Aye aye, boss."

Lunch was lighthearted and fun. Diana pressed for them to both come and stay for the next Board Meeting. Sir Edwin spotted Nick's slightly doubtful look.

"Don't worry," he said. "All the other members come from no more than an hour away so I won't be accused of favouritism and you won't be accused of being a toady."

"Thank you," said Nick. He looked at Sally who nodded eagerly. "Yes please."

"Right," said Diana bossily. "You come down the night before and you go back the morning after."

"Are you sure?" asked Sally.

"Of course I am otherwise you and I won't have time to do anything worthwhile. What's more it'll allow these two to sleep off their lunch."

"Oh, I don't know," said Sir Edwin. "We might manage to pick a day when there's a race meeting at Newbury."

"In that case we want to come too."

"I wouldn't want to spoil your worthwhility."

"There are times, Edwin Marshall, when you need a bonk on the nose."

"Yes, dear."

All four laughed.

Nick and Sally saw the Marshalls off. Sally was not but Nick was surprised by the hug and kiss that Diana gave him. Sir Edwin kissed Sally and shook hands with Nick, his left hand grasping his shoulder.

"That, my man, was a success, a huge success," said Sally.

Nick smiled slightly self-consciously. "Success yes. Huge I don't know."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.