A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 35

The rest of the week passed relatively uneventfully. Nick and Sally did their site visits and were pleased with everything they saw. He decided it was time that he paid visits to the chief engineers and project directors and asked Megan to organise them.

His visit to Roy Murphy did not come under this category as the container dock project was being run by the Port. Nick knew though that he would be up to speed on the project. He was and was complimentary about the way the work was going. He also went out of his way to say that it was evident that Derek Wilson admired and liked Harry.

"Anyway," he said his eyes twinkling, "I believe I have to congratulate you on your marriage. I'm told she's a very pretty girl."

"Thank you, Roy, and yes she is indeed. She's also a first class engineer."

"Ho! Look out Marshall. Here comes Braithwaite of Liverpool."

Nick laughed.

"She wasn't the single girl at your dinner party, was she?"

Nick smiled. "Yes."

Roy smiled back. "She is indeed very pretty. Now," he went on, "you didn't come here just to fish for compliments."

Nick grinned. "No. A little bird told me that you had some plans for developing the Ellesmere Port Dock."

"Ah! I wonder which little bird that was. Yes, we have and are working with the council on them. In outline, we'd move part of the dock which would be a major operation and that would free up land for the council for a big housing estate. I think it'll be a year or eighteen months before we start on it if ever."

"Well all I can ask, Roy, is that you bear us in mind for both design and construction phases."

"I surely will but do remember that it's all still very much up in the air at the moment. There are all sorts of vested interests. I'd like you to keep it under your hat for the time being."

"Certainly. You have my word. What about the housing estate?"

"The council is handling that but they've got a financial company involved with its own planning department. I suspect that all you're likely to get out of that is the actual construction."

"OK. I'll keep that under my hat too but please let me know if you hear anything on that side that we might get involved in."

"I will indeed, Nick, but I suspect that if we employ you you won't get a sniff of the housing bit."

"You're probably right. It's a funny old world."

"I know but there'll be something about all one's eggs in one basket, vested interests and one firm getting a monopoly."

Nick nodded. "We can but try and prove that we're the right people for the right job."

"Good luck!"

Having sworn her to secrecy Nick told Sally about the project that evening.

"Oh, wow!" she said. "That's two projects in one. Ooh! If I wasn't going to be having your babies by then! Both of them are a PM's dream come true. Think of the design of the housing estate: views, facilities, the range of accommodation, approach roads. Whee! And then the dock: the basic facilities such as draught, length, beam of the ships. The manoeuvring areas. Quayside facilities. Storage, particularly fuel. Administrative facilities, parking for socking great lorries as well as cars. On site accommodation, particularly for transitees. Oh, Nick, it's a project manager's dream. We've got to get them: particularly the dock."

"Yes, Tiger Puss, but it's secret at the moment so all we can do is silently prepare. We can't tell anybody."

Sally nodded silently. She was deep in thought and remained so for several minutes. Nick waited confidently.

"Nick, my darling man and my blooming boss," she said at length, "I'm going to be running out of projects to scrutinise pretty soon. Would you consider mentally appointing me as your Ellesmere Port," she sucked in her cheeks, "facilitator?"

"Facilitator?"

She grinned conspiratorially. "Spy, persuader, outline designer and general undercover agent."

"I'm not having you being a Mata Hari."

"Certainly not! My body and heart are yours and yours alone."

Nick gathered her in his arms.

"There's no need to growl or snarl, Tiger. I know you wouldn't."

He kissed the tip of her nose.

"So you jolly well should, you beastly man!" She looked up at him, her eyes dancing.

His hands went up behind her shoulders to cup her head. He kissed her lips gently and then passionately.

When they broke Sally's eyes were still clouded but then they cleared. "Agreed?" she asked.

"Yes, you beastly girl."

"Why am I beastly?"

"Felinity."

"Explain."

"A thoroughly manipulative, totally irresistible, little tiger puss."

"Who loves you and will do anything to help you."

"Change nappies when the time comes?"

"Initially but you're a quick learner."

"Yuck!"

"And yuck for me too so hush up."

"Yes, ma'am.

"Oh, shut up you silly man and kiss me again."

He did.

At Managers' the next Monday Ellesmere Port was on the agenda as a point arising. Nick thanked Harry for mentioning it but said that Roy Murphy had said that it was no more than a gleam in mother's eye. The subject was dropped; publicly.

Sally rang her mother several times during the week. Ellie was upbeat on every occasion. On Friday she said that she had applied for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and Income Support. Once she was fit she would swap the last for Job Seekers Allowance. The Ripon hospital had contacted her. She was seeing her consultant on Tuesday and had her first physiotherapy session immediately afterwards. She had registered with Geraldine's GP.

On Friday Sergeant Crawshaw rang Sally at work. Gerry was due to appear in court the following Tuesday and was again going to plead Guilty so there was no need for any of the family to attend as witnesses. He said he would ring her with the outcome. Sally thanked him and then ran to tell Nick. He was as relieved as she was. Ellie was less relieved.

"I'd rather have liked to give him a piece of my mind when he couldn't get at me," she said.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.