A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 26

Sally was bubbling when they arrived home. Nick watched her with happiness and pride.

"Oh, Geraldine, we've had such lovely walk," she enthused. "A bluebell wood but spoilsport Nick wouldn't let me pick any and then lambs: brand new ones, ones being born. It was magic. And then I was going to get all stroppy about the farmer collecting them and Nick told me that they were going to be checked out before being released into another field."

Geraldine smiled at her childlike innocence of country matters. Nigel took it up.

"Sheep farmers are very caring people," he said. "They have to be for economic reasons but they do develop an affection for their sheep as a flock. Most of the year the sheep spend their time up on the fells. They keep the heather in check without killing it. There's grass up there too. The combination makes tasty meat. The cooler air also helps give them thicker fleeces. So that's an economical reason but the winter on the tops can be vicious and they could lose some so they bring them down to the grass rich pastures to winter and to lamb."

Sally was agog.

"The killer," went on Nigel, "is when they separate the ewes from the lambs in June or July. They both cry and it's heart-rending when it happens but they soon get over it."

"Then what happens?"

"The old girls go back up the hill. The lambs move uphill a bit to encourage their fleece, lambswool, some are selected for slaughter, and the rest move up higher. Then the whole cycle is repeated."

"You say sheep farmers are caring but it seems to me that it's all economic caring," said Sally.

"I did say that was part of it," replied Nigel, "but there are farmers or shepherds who have risked their lives to save a sheep."

Sally, wide-eyed, could only nod.

"Sally, sweety," said Geraldine, "I haven't seen upstairs yet, let alone where Nigel and I are sleeping."

Sally glanced questioningly at Nick who merely smiled reassuringly.

"Don't be shy, Sally dear," said Geraldine as they went upstairs. "I know you're not sleeping in the guest room."

Sally blushed but showed Geraldine round.

"This is a very nice little house," Geraldine pronounced. "Warm, cosy, attractive and in a very pretty village. Too small for raising a brood though."

Sally giggled. "Give us a chance. In any case, I'd like to spend at least a year just concentrating on Nick."

"Good for you, love. What are you going to wear for the wedding?"

"I hadn't even thought: something simple but whitish. It's got to be registry office because of Nick's divorce but I'm still a newly wed." She grinned.

Geraldine laughed. "Even if not entirely virginal."

"I was before I met Nick."

"Oh, Sally dear, that was a thoughtless remark. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm no way ashamed."

"Golly!" thought Geraldine, "This girl's got guts as well as being head over heels in love. OK, we've got over the initial shyness but I really think I'm going to love this girl as another daughter."

"Nor should you be. Are you going to have to buy it?"

"You bet." Sally laughed genuinely. "You can't dye jeans."

"Sally, my dear, may I see your wardrobe?"

Sally looked down.

"Please, Sally," she asked gently.

Rather shamefacedly Sally showed her.

Geraldine was momentarily overcome. This pretty, spirited, fun girl, clearly from a poor background, had nothing but necessities. There was not one item bar her concert dress that was remotely glamorous.

"Oh, my Nick," she thought. "You really have hit the jackpot this time. She's dotty about you but there's not a whisper of trying to climb social ladders. No mention of buying new clothes other than a wedding dress and then a simple one."

She turned back to Sally. "The more I get to know you the more I get to love you," she said.

Sally looked questioningly at her.

"No frills. No pretensions. Just a sweet girl who loves my son and who he is clearly quite dotty about. I can see why too."

"I'm dotty about him."

Geraldine smiled. "You don't have to tell me," she said softly.

They hugged for a second time and again Sally gloried in it.

It was during dinner at the pub that Geraldine brought up the subject of meeting Sally's parents. "You sounded a bit cagey on the phone," she said to Nick.

Sally looked down. Nick sensed her embarrassment and even shame and leapt to the rescue.

"It's a rather unhappy situation," he said. "Her father quite frankly is a lout who treated her appallingly as a child. She left home when she won her university scholarship and hasn't seen him since and never wants to again."

Geraldine was about to say something but bit her lip.

"Her mother daren't leave home other than for work because she'd get beaten up. If we had any say in the matter she'd leave him but as things stand she won't."

There was a shocked silence. Sally's head came up and she gave Nick a little smile but the gratitude in her eyes was clear.

"What work does your mother do, Sally?" asked Nigel gently.

"Cleaning," said Sally quietly.

"I imagine she's a cook as well."

Sally nodded. "Nothing fancy but she can make a meal out of almost nothing."

"I can imagine." He deftly swung the conversation away. "What about you, my love? Is my son going to become a Billy Bunter?"

"No way!" said Sally feelingly. "I can boil an egg and put a ready meal in the oven. Geraldine had to make the salad dressing at lunchtime."

"Ah," said Nigel gallantly, "but it's quite clear that you have a natural ability."

"What?"

"Those baguettes were done to a tee."

Sally pealed with laughter and Nick shot his father a glance of thanks.

For lunch the following day Sally produced cold chicken, potato salad and green salad. First though came bacon, lettuce and tomato baguettes.

Nigel teased her. "Did you get Geraldine to cook the bacon?" he asked.

Sally laughed happily. "No," she said, "but I did get her to pour the mayonnaise over the spuds. Had to use it somehow after the salad dressing yesterday."

Geraldine and Nigel left shortly after lunch. Sally received a warm hug and a kiss from each of them which delighted her.

"That is a very special girl," said Geraldine as they drove home.

"Very," agreed Nigel. "Streets ahead of Miss Veronica. She's fun and very, very pretty."

"Watch it, buster."

Nigel chuckled. "Nobody's going to tempt me away from my old bat."

"Old bat, my foot! I haven't even qualified for my free bus pass yet."

"Yes, my child bride."

"That's better, my old codger."

"Old?"

"Yes, my love. You have qualified."

"I can see some discipline is called for when we get home."

Geraldine chuckled but then sobered up. "I'm worried about that child's mother," she said.

"You're not alone but it's their problem not ours."

Geraldine took no notice. "The Grimshaws are going to join their son and daughter-in-law in New Zealand. Rather than sell they're going to let their cottage indefinitely so that it's available for the children or grandchildren if they ever decide to come home."

"So?"

"We could rent it and Sally's mother could live there. There are plenty of cleaning jobs within walking distance. I could help her develop her cooking and she might be able to earn some money from that and start to pay her own rent to us."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.