Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 4 - Resolve
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

Melkin had to admit that Dusty was coming up in the world.

When he brought him here he was someone who had nothing and had to start at the bottom. The council thought that this was the best way to do it and that it would make him more dependant on them for things he needed to survive while here.

But not only had he started with nothing and grown, but he had been knighted, received a title and land, and was now turning a pretty decent profit.

No one had expected him to be able to prosper like he had.

If only the mages council had stood by their word and gave Dusty full access to everything that they said they would. So far they were still parceling out the information on a need to know only basis. The only thing they actually did now was make sure that he wasn't kept in the dark about anything he was working on for them.

While lost in thought he also thought about Dusty's home. The design of Dusty and Suzan's manor was totally different than normal manor homes and even Melkin had to admit he was impressed by it.

Dusty had designed the home to look like most, but he first used wood as the frame for it. Then when he started on the building of the outer walls he had the builders stop every so many feet while adding the stone outer walls, and then he used a mixture of sheep's wool and straw to create something he called "insulation" within the walls.

One of the biggest problems was that while hot and cold systems for water had been created, nothing else had ever been created that worked as well for home efficiency. Some rooms were always hotter than others or colder than others. No one had figured out how to make home heating and cooling work well.

While the Boiler system wasn't anything new, many still couldn't afford to have water piped to their homes when getting water from a well was just as easy and far cheaper. No one could figure out how to make a more efficiently designed home with workable conveniences.

But that was only until Dusty designed his house.

The Manor had three floors and twenty rooms, not including the basement, kitchen area, and full bathrooms for every bedroom, and was basically an impressive structure.

Melkin had seen Dusty's designs, and while he didn't totally understand everything he saw and was told by Dusty, he did understand enough to know that Dusty found a way both heat and cool his home better than anything else he had ever heard of.

Dusty ideas were added to the King and Queen's new castle as well as Seth and Marie's home. Daniel and their friend Rachel said if they ever rebuilt or built a new home they would ask his opinion.

Those were just a few innovations he had. Melkin also heard him talk about water "irritation" and purifying saltwater through "non magical" means for the masses. These ideas were strange and foreign to him, but Dusty seemed excited by them.

The man could be a great asset if the mages council could get over their suspicion of him and his many ideas. They were so set in their way's they were going pass on things that could only benefit them all in the long run.

Even as set in his ways as he was he could see this.

But tonight he was going to see Dusty for both business and pleasure.

Dusty also was a master chef, and his cooking was to die for once Melkin found Dusty could cook like he did. He was constantly working with his and the castle's cooks to share many new things. Melkin so far was introduced to something called "mousse" and "cheesecake" that had been made by Dusty.

While he was hoping that Dusty would have something new created for him for dinner, he wasn't happy about the newest assignment he needed his help on. The reports he had received first hand were about strange things being used that he had never heard of before and was sure that Dusty would be familiar with them again.

The time before this was warriors using strange armor and swords he had never heard of before. Dusty's report said they were based on "Samurai" weapons and armor. Dusty never did say how they stopped those people, but the armor and weapons all disappeared.

The time before that was something called "blasting caps" and a crude type of something he called "dana-mite"? Melkin still didn't know what to make of that even now, but Dusty said that the people using it blew themselves up and all the evidence disappeared with them again.

If he wasn't so good at solving the problems and getting rid of those items, Melkin would start to wonder why everyone related to items of war from his world kept dying around him. So far eleven cases over the last two seasons had come up for Dusty to help out with and everyone related to those cases died.

Melkin was starting wonder why Dusty wasn't allowing any of the people guilty of using these items to be left alive to be questioned by the council. Why didn't he want them to be questioned?

But unless Dusty was psychotic he didn't seem to act like a cold blooded killer. Neither he nor his friends gave any of them that impression, but he was still curious what was going on with them.

Knocking on the door he was greeted by Dusty. Even now Dusty wouldn't allow anyone else to open his own door.

"Melkin, welcome to my home, may I get you something? Dinner isn't quite ready yet," said Dusty.

"Sure, do you have any of that good beer of yours around? That sure is tasty," said Melkin.

"Of course, I've put a green spell on the wooden vat it's stored in to keep it always cold. You'll get a kick out of it as a cold drink. I know most serve it warm, but I think it will sell better as a cold drink," said Dusty with a smile.

Ringing he asked a servant to please get his guest a cold mug of beer as he showed Melkin to his living room.

"I would dismiss them all, but the King insists that I keep them around. I'm not sure if they are here to help me or watch me sometimes," said Dusty with a smile.

The servant returned with the beer for Melkin and soon they were seated comfortably in the room.

"So how is everything so far? You asked when I would be back and that you needed to see me as soon as I was, so what is going on?" asked Dusty.

"Before I start I have to ask, Dusty what is happening with all the people we've asked you to investigate? Not one of them has survived to be questioned about where they got these strange weapons from. Why is that?" asked Melkin deciding to go for broke.

Even though the council didn't want him to ask, he had to find out from Dusty what was going on.

"I hate to say it but you have me. Other than when I personally killed Chris Jones a few years back, oh uhm seasons back in self defense, I have no idea. Some were dead by the time we got to them, others died while in the custody of others once we stopped them. And a few we subdued, finished our fight, and by the time we got back to them we found them dead. I really have no idea what was going on," said Dusty leaning forward.

"Didn't that bother you? Didn't you wonder what was going on?" asked Melkin.

"Of course I did, but what could I do. There were no clues, no one saw what happened, and at best they could have taken their own lives to keep from being questioned, but the next time I plan to question one of them thoroughly before I move away from them. I want to know what is happening to them as well," said Dusty

Melkin watched him for a moment and then nodded. One spell that was passed on from centuries past was one that allowed the interviewer to read the rhythms of the one being questioned for truthfulness.

Eventually he would teach it to Dusty, but for now he needed it use it to build his confidence in Dusty. Dusty appeared to be answering truthfully.

"So what can I help you with?" asked Dusty.

"Here read this," said Melkin as he tossed Dusty a folder with papers in it.

Dusty started reading. A few times he alternated between scowling and whistling.

"Are these eyewitness accounts accurate?" asked Dusty.

"To the best of my knowledge," said Melkin.

"So you have someone who's figured out how to make a very crude tank, a mortar or some type of canon, and they also use some type of crude grenades. My god when someone wants to hit the trifecta around here they do it in style don't they?" asked Dusty.

"Tanks? Kay-non? Grenades? What are those? Also what is a "try ... fec ... a"?" asked Melkin.

"Tanks are a type of armored vehicle that protects the person or persons inside, while allowing them to do a lot of damage to those on a field of battle. Canon something that shoots explosives a far distance while keeping the men shooting it safe. A grenade is something that does massive amounts of damage using a small device.

"It's like you fielded a lot of mages without having to use a touch of magic to do it. Instead of having only 2 or three mages, maybe 10 per side fighting, you now have as many people as you can outfit with these things. This could be bad, very bad if it gets out," said Dusty as he stared again at the file.

"And the try-fec-a?" asked Melkin.

"Trifecta. It's a term used by those who race horses in my world, but it's also used as slang to mean you have achieved three of something, or three successful outcomes. In this case someone has outfitted their people with close combat as well as range combat weapons. And to make sure that we couldn't stop the tanks they outfitted their ground people with anti-personnel items. We have our hands full on this one," said Dusty.

"We need you to get to the Kingdom of Plessis as quick as you can. It seems that the rebels are trying to overthrow the kingdom, and while normally we wouldn't care, they are using these things to win. If possible we need to find out whose giving this to them this time. Who do you have you can take with you as quick as you can?" asked Melkin.

"I have Seth and Marie. Maybe Daniel, but I'm not sure I want to pull him away from his wife if I don't have too," said Dusty.

"I'd not like to pull him away from Rachel as well, but if we don't stop this it could spread and get out of hand quickly. We really do need him. What about Lori and Mark, not to mention where's Suzan?" asked Melkin.

"They are taking care of a family issue and visiting Marks home. They are weeks away from getting here. So they are out if you want me to move on this as quickly as you say. Suzan is on a special mission for someone else where she has to be out of contact for the duration. I won't be able to talk to her for a few more weeks," said Dusty.

"DAMN! You will need to be out of contact for this as well, we need to make sure someone gets questioned this time so we can learn where they are getting this stuff. I'd rather you not tell "anyone" what you are doing or where you are going. Never the less, we could have really used all the hands we could get on this. I really just wished she was also here," said Melkin.

"I have a mage friend also. His name is Charles. He's not very powerful, but he's very intelligent and quick witted. We've spent many hours talking about my inventions and he seems to quickly grasp what I'm talking about. Maybe I can convince him to come and help. He may be able to see something I've missed," said Dusty.

"Charles? Have I met him? What's his last name?" asked Melkin.

"Duvall I believe, but I might be wrong. And I don't believe you have, but I trust him to work well with us. We've asked for his help a few other times and we've always managed to all came back with our limbs attached," said Dusty with a smile.

"Ok, take him with you and you need to move on this as fast as you can," said Melkin.

"Well now that we have that out of the way, let's go have dinner and talk about other things," said Dusty still smiling.

Smiling Melkin got up and was ready for dinner. But once there he found he was more interested in the dinner when Dusty mentioned something about having added "cherries" to that cheesecake he greatly enjoyed.


"If I may introduce the Baroness of Tara from the kingdom of Patenenall, Baroness Suzan Reynolds and attendant," said the Butler who introduced Suzan at the parlor door.

He then stepped back and bowed to let her step past him.

Suzan had no idea why Dusty insisted on calling their lands "Tara" but every time she said it he giggled like a school girl.

But while she thought about that, Suzan slowly gild into the parlor where the Earl and his wife were seated. The Earl at seeing her rose, bowed, and then took his seat, but his wife stayed seated during this time.

Suzan had gotten used to always packing a party dress with her whenever she traveled. She never knew when she might need one to help smooth her way or attend a party.

The dress was a light brown that flattered her, had puffy sleeves and a moderately plunging back. It had a small corset sewn into the inside that was first tied within the dress before it was zipped up. It gave her narrow waistline a much more narrow appearance.

She had her golden hair swept back and she had a hair pin holding it pulled back from the sides of her head. She had on matching diamond earrings that dangled from her ears.

While the dress she had on was floor length, she also had matching light brown shoes to complete the look.

Lena was dressed in a plain blue dress that they managed to pick up first thing this morning. While Lena was also pretty she was dressed as if she was having her looks downplayed in favor of Suzan.

"My Lord Thomas, Lady Katrina, I was visiting the area and I thought that it would be very rude to not at least pay my respects to the rulers of this fair city," said Suzan with a curtsy.

She had been paying a lot of attention when she had to go to the court of Patenenall to visit the King and Queen. Suzan was learning the correct ways to stroke the ego's of the people involved.

While the pair tried to smile at her it was obvious that the look was strained.

"Is something the matter? Is all not well?" asked Suzan with some concern.

"No we are well. Lady Suzan? Your husband wouldn't be sir Dusty, Barron of Tara would he? The Battlemage?" asked Lord Thomas.

"Yes he is, why do you ask?" asked Suzan with a soft smile.

"It's because we..." quickly started Lady Katrina before she sharply looked over at her husband.

He shook his head no and she quickly quieted down.

Catching the eye of Lena, Suzan nodded and Lena quickly disappeared. A few moments later she reappeared, nodded, and then stepped back through them into the hallway and closed the parlor doors behind her and stood in front of them so that no one could enter.

Suzan quickly moved over to where the pair was seated and sat down in a chair close to them. The pair, shocked by her actions tried not to draw back as she did.

"I'm here because someone contacted my guild and asked for help. I know what is going on and that Lord Bryon is missing," said Suzan quietly.

The pair traded shocked looks, but didn't say anything.

"You have someone in the house who is feeding the kidnappers information. Your nurse has had people killed in her family to keep her silent and I believe for now he's still alive, but you have to trust me and work with me before they realize we're on to them," said Suzan in a whisper.

"But why, but who, but..." started Katrina

"What do we need to do? Is your husband here as well? Is he also helping us?" asked the Earl breaking into his wife's questions.

"No just me, but I think I should be enough. The problem is you've upset someone and this is payback, but for now that is neither here nor there. But they do have someone in the house watching your every move. I need you to offer to let me stay for dinner and we should know who it is and what to do by then and that should be all we need to get your son back," said Suzan with a smile.

"Are you sure? Can you save him?" asked Katrina

"I'm almost 100% sure we can, I just need a little help," said Suzan with a smile.

As Katrina broke down and started to softly cry with relief Suzan sat next to her and pulled her close. While she knew that they had no reason to trust her, they were desperate for anyone to help them in their hour of need and she was their last hope.

After a few minutes Katrina quieted and tried to compose herself.

"I'm so sorry. I've been keeping it in for weeks so that no one would know and so they wouldn't kill him. I've worked hard to keep up a brave front, but I just, I just..." started Katrina.

"I understand, I would be just as desperate as you, and just as upset. But we're here now and we'll take care of this. This is what I need you both to do..." started Suzan.


Calling all the household members to a brief meeting, the Earl Thomas made an quick announcement.

"Everyone, we have a special guest tonight. We have the Baroness Suzan Reynolds here and she will be dining with us. Everyone make sure she is made to feel at home and she, as well as her staff, is to have full run of the place to insure that they do.

"Her husband Dusty Reynolds, I'm sure you've heard of him before as the Battlemage, will be joining us in the morning. That is all carry on," said Earl Thomas.

Suzan stood off to the side holding on to Lady Katrina's arm as Earl Thomas made the announcement. Lady Katrina tried to smile but it came out weakly and it was clear she was working hard at having it there.

Lena, as benefiting the staff of nobility, was standing off to the side watching everyone. The Nurse of Byron was pointed out to them earlier, but Lena wasn't watching her.

As she watched the staff she saw one woman's eyes slightly narrow for a moment before they returned to normal. Where as everyone had shock, and possibly a touch of hope to their eyes, she didn't. She looked inconvenienced if nothing else.

When Suzan looked over at her she barely nodded and Suzan's smiled a bright smile.

They might have Bryon home sooner than they planned.


Lena excused herself early under the guise of gathering someone of Lady Suzan's things and alerted Joi and Katie what was going on.

They had already put up their wards, but she told them to be ready to track who came out of the house in the middle of the night. Soon as she was done passing on the message she returned to the house to watch who she believed was the mole

Before dinner was to be served Suzan, the Earl, and his wife retired to the parlor to wait.

They made nervous small talk before Lena came into the room. She was dressed in a tunic and pants. She had a sword strapped to her side and carried another one in her hands as well as a pair of boots.

She came to stop right in front of Suzan, who was wearing a bulky robe that was tied in the front. Suzan had said she was going to her room to change before dinner.

"The scullery maid just left the grounds. I verified with the cook that she wasn't supposed to leave, and so now she's being tracked. We need to move quickly if we want to resolve this," said Lena to Suzan as she tossed her the free sword.

Rising and catching the sword, she then undid her belt and the robe fell away showing that Suzan was dressed in her normal tunic and travel pants.

She had rolled up her pants legs to hide the fact she was no longer in a dress. Taking the boots from Lena she put them on as she rolled down her pants legs. She felt naked without her breastplate on as well, but they had no time to get it as they needed to move quickly.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.