Ants at BEES
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Winnie performed introductions; we shook hands.

"Entomology, eh?"

"Yes, sir. But actually myrmicology. And not those Rhytidoponera; they're too common. I'm hoping to do some work on desert ants."

"Interesting. We've got a succulents area. We've not sown it, but I'm certain that the fauna there aren't those of these entry footpaths."

"I'd just asked Winnie about that section."

"Well, let's walk over. It's not far. Nothing is."

"Where's Mum?" Winnie asked.

"Waiting for you on a bench outside the teahouse."

"Right. Well, you naturalists have a good time. We'll see you later." And she walked off.

We started along a different path. "Am I supposed to interrogate you?"

"I don't know. I don't have any 'intentions' where Winnie's concerned – neither honourable or dishonourable."

He laughed. "Thanks. Winnie's mum thought this was a 'meet the parents' occasion."

"I don't think so. I'm not a good – uh – candidate for Winnie. I've got three more years till I get my doctorate and then I've got to get a job. And I'm not sure she's really shopping, either. But we are definitely friends."

"Fine with me. You're not from around here."

"No. Queensland. My Dad's got a small station west of Roma. My older brother works at a vineyard in St. George."

"Hmmm. Well, here are our succulents. I'm rather proud of them. Australia can boast at least 400 species that can be regarded as succulents. We've about 60. Only a few are insectivorous."

"That's why I wanted to look around here. Look, there's a Melophorus bagoti. Whoever did the transplanting must have brought some as hitchhikers. I'll bet you've got Myrmecia too. Wheeler called them Mymecia desertorum, but I'm sure they've been renamed. And there's a Anoplognathus prasinus. Probably dining on the Myrmecia."

"Yes. Luckily the bulldogs are nocturnal. We've had one or two people bitten in the evenings."

"Bulldog ants are quite aggressive. They're territorial, so they perceive a foot as an invader."

"How did you get interested in ants?"

"Oh, I was the usual kid. I collected all sorts of things: stones, flowers, butterflies. Then my folks gave me a copy of Wilson's Insect Societies and I was hooked. A few years ago, they got me The Ants. In between I bought myself a reprint of Wheeler. How did you get into botany?"

"Oh, I'm from Port Lincoln in South Australia. My dad was a manager at the port. Water all the time. So I grubbed in the dirt. When I went to Adelaide, to university, I did a BSc in biology. And I went up to Sydney one summer as an intern at the Royal Botanic. And I was gone. I did a Diploma in Horticulture in Hobart – sailed on the Princess – and then went to work at the Royal. When they began the Gong, we all moved here."

"Interesting. Well, we should join the ladies – I'm sure you've interrogated me enough."

"Not really," he laughed. "You're the first of Winnie's young men I've ever met."

"I'm not sure I'm one of her's."

"And I didn't ask about her roommates ... er, apartmentmates. Have you met them?"

"Last weekend."

"And?"

"Jennie seems very nice. She's going with a herpetologist acquaintance."

"The third? Karen?"

"Not my type at all. A bit chubby and somewhat over-excitable."

"Strange taxonomy."

"I suppose so. But it's tough for me. I hit it off with Winnie right away, talking about art and literature. And Jennie works at BEES and I met her there. I'm not even sure what Karen does."

"There they are!"

Winnie's mother was a pleasant-looking woman with greying hair. "Nice to meet you, Gordy. I've been hearing all about you!"

"Not quite all, ma'am. Winnie doesn't know my deep secrets." She laughed.

"Well, come to our place for coffee or tea, and I'll delve."

"I'm certain it would be a pleasure." I turned to Winnie: "Have we time?"

"Of course. I'll ride with you and navigate."

"It's not far," her father added. We walked back to the entry, found our vehicles and left.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.