Ants at BEES - Cover

Ants at BEES

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 12

I got to BEES a bit early and was chatting with Jenny when Logan arrived. Jenny focussed on him like a mulga eyeing a mouse.

"Hey!"

"Hey, Logan. Logan, meet Jenny. Jenny, this is Logan. He's interested in lizards."

"Nice to meet you, Jenny."

"You'd best stay clear of him. His dad's at the police academy." She laughed, Logan looked embarrassed. "Anyway, I was wondering whether you've got a film schedule."

"Aha! Winnie roped you in!"

"Willingly."

"Well here you are. In fact, here's two." She handed one to each of us.

"They missed two of my favourites," I said.

"And they are?"

"The Black Scorpion and The Deadly Mantis. They're both 1957 – before The Wasp Woman."

"And they've no lizards," complained Logan. "They could've had a week of Godzilla flicks."

"A week?" asked Jenny.

"At three a day, easily. I think there are over 15. I think my favourite is King Kong vs. Godzilla."

"You're joking!"

"Oh, no, Jenny. I think it's 1964. But Godzilla and the Smog Monster must be the worst."

I couldn't resist. "And Bambi meets Godzilla is the best!"

Logan started laughing. "Absolutely! One of my favourite films! But the three-headed lizard from outer space in Monster of Monsters is pretty good."

"Is that the one with Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan?"

"Right!"

"You blokes must be bonkers! Those don't really exist!"

"Oh, they do Jenny, they do. And there are sillier and worse ones." Logan was getting into it. "Come on Monday and meet Gordy's insects. I'll buy you fodder."

"Oh. Okay. Why not?"

"Great. I'll be here on Monday at 1700."

We left laughing.

"Did you set me up?" asked Logan when we were outside.

"Not really."

"And who's Winnie?"

"Winnie's one of Jennie's roommates. I'm going to the films with her."

"One of... ?"

"There's a third, Karen."

"Who's she seeing?"

"Everyone she can." I said.

"Ah. Hmm. Lunch?"

"Right. I could eat a goanna!"

After lunch Logan asked what I was doing over the weekend.

"Laundry; read; think. I've nothing planned til Monday, when I'm back to the Museum. Why?"

"I think I'll go back to BEES and see what Jenny's got planned."

I laughed. "Do you swim?"

"Yes. Why?"

"She likes going to the beach. Cobblers Beach."

Logan looked at me for a moment. "Cobblers? North of here?"

"Yes."

"Well, I'm up for that!"

I laughed. "Oh, you'll be up for sure!"

We paid. I wished him good luck.

I read, went out for a stroll and had a snack, and read some more of Sturt's Narrative of an Expedition into Central Australia – I'd bought a second-hand copy of the reprint in Brisbane, but never got beyond the first volume. I was asleep before 2300. In the morning I was about to go out for breakfast, but Mrs. Warren intercepted me. I was chatting with her and drinking tea when my mobile rang. I excused myself and said.

"Hollister."

"This is Winnie. I've a problem. Can I come and talk to you?"

"Of course." I gave her my address. "Should I take the ute and pick you up?"

"No, the walk will do me good. About 15 minutes?"

"Certainly."

Mrs. Warren was clearly intrigued. "A friend?"

"Well, a woman I met. She's a post-grad student and works at the Art Gallery."

"Oh."

"She said she's got a problem."

"Well, I'd best put up a kettle for more tea."

I went outside and sat on the steps. I soon saw Winnie and waved at her. When she got closer I said: "Good morning. You don't look your best."

"Thanks for the sweet words, Gordy. I got next to no sleep last night."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.