Ants at BEES - Cover

Ants at BEES

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 7

My cell rang. It was Karen. She wanted to know whether I could "do" all three of them in the big bed this coming weekend.

"Ah, Karen, ah, I don't think so. Some things should be more private. I know you guys are used to doing a lot of that stuff together but I'm kind of shy about some of this. I thought yesterday and the day before were great, but I think I'd like it to be just the two of us in the future."

"Winnie?"

"I hope so. I haven't asked her. I haven't spoken to her since yesterday. And right now I'm at work, so I can't stay on the phone."

"Okay. But I wish it were me."

"Try to be a little less aggressive. There's someone out there for you."

"Right."

It wasn't noon yet, but I decided to go to lunch. I asked the volunteer at the information desk and she suggested "bland Mexican" at the Cafe Pacifico or yum cha at the Bodhi Bar where the service was slow. Other nearby places were "dearer," though I could get a pizza at Spigolo. She told me where each was.

I went to the Pacifico where the food was spiced, but zip-less. I tried to call Diana, but went straight to voicemail. I left a message saying that I'd call after 1600. Then I walked back to the Museum, where I spent the afternoon trying to track the labels on the specimens in the "Brazil" case in Wheeler [Ants – Their Structure and Behavior (1910)]. It was boring but informative.

When I got "home," I sat and chatted with Mrs. Warren for a while. I knew she must have noticed that I'd not been in on Saturday night, but she didn't say anything. I mentioned that I'd met a young woman who worked at the hospital and another who was in an office at BEES.

"I've never understood why there seem to be so many more unattached women than unattached men in Sydney," she said.

"I'd guess it's because a lot of young men go to work inland – farms, stations, mines, vineyards. There are certainly more jobs there than in the cities."

"I suppose so. Will I get to meet your ladyfriends?"

"I suppose so, if something gets more serious. Right now, I just had dinner with one and went to the beach with the other."

"Which beach?"

"Up by Mossman."

"Oh my! That's a nude beach, Gordy!"

"'Clothing optional'. Yes, ma'am."

"And you didn't bring her back here?"

"No. I went to dinner with the other one." I realized just what a mare's nest this was. "Don't worry, Mrs. Warren." I got up and went to my rooms, sat down and again tried to call Diana. She picked up right away.

"Diana Prince."

"Hey! It's Gordy Hollister. Hard day at work?"

"Well, more tiring than difficult."

"Can I take you to dinner? Perhaps something quieter?"

"I'd like that. I need to talk to you."

"Okay." I didn't like the sound of that; it was the overture to the goodbye kiss. "Where?"

"Romantic Italian? In Balmain?"

"Where's Balmain?"

"North and west. We'll go to Pellegrini's. It's dear, but I think it's worth it."

"I'll come fetch you. Where?" She gave me an address just north of the hospital. "Oh! How fancy? Suit and tie?"

"This is Sydney! We'll be by the water. Shirt and pants. No shorts, though it's near 30."

"Great! 1800?"

"Perfect. Bye."

Now I was really puzzled. I checked my stash. Still several hundred. I took a shower and shaved (again). I put on a striped long-sleeved tee and clean chinos. It was after 1700 and I went downstairs. I wanted to fill up on petrol before embarking.

"Going out?" Mrs. Warren asked.

"Pellegrini's in Balmain."

"I've heard of it, but I've never been there. It's complicated going across the city."

"Well, I think my date knows the route. If I'm not back before morning, call Missing Persons."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.