Flight of Destiny
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2010 by Krystal Hope

Atemakhu received the Prince's response in the early hours of the morning. He opened it with haste, and found the response a little disappointing. Prince Akhenaten wanted the proper ceremony. That would be a lot of work. However, Atemakhu consoled himself with the fact that he'd be assisting in the crowning of a Pharaoh.

The High Priest of Atem-Ra set to writing letters to all of the High Priests he'd need to get involved in the coronation. There was much planning and coordination to be done - not to mention transports for the Royal Couple and the most important guests. He decided to place his full attention and effort on these preparations. Anything else would simply have to wait.


Almost every soul in the palace slumbered at this early hour. A few were awake, including Adam, and other slaves who attended the royals in their chambers. They were hastily cleaning, trying to be quiet, docile. This was their morning routine.

Adam left his master's bedchamber, leaving no trace that he'd been there at all since being excused the night before. He maintained his silence, walking slowly, with deliberate movements, until he was well away from the chamber, and thus out of earshot. He didn't want to be responsible for waking the Prince or the Princess.

He made his down to the kitchens, where he picked up breakfasts for Akhenaten and Ksunamun. He carried the two golden trays with care, balancing one on each hand. As he headed back to the Royal Bedchamber, he saw something curious.

Before him was an armoured messenger. He was swarthy and tall, muscular, and dripping with sweat. His breathing seemed laboured, as though he'd ran for miles - or had endured a long ride. Either seemed feasible. The messenger was clutching an official looking scroll of papyrus. He peered into the bedchamber, just a little, and decided against interrupting the Prince's sleep.

"May I help you?" Adam broke the silence.

The messenger looked at him, his dark eyes void of any emotion. "That depends on who you are, Good Sir."

"I am Adam, the slave of Prince Akhenaten and his Hemet, Princess Ksunamun." Adam answered politely as he took a few steps, closing the distance between himself and the messenger.

"He's married?" the messenger was surprised, "Really? "I've been away from home too long. I didn't hear about this - not even a rumour! I mean, I saw the girl, but I assumed she was -"

"A concubine." Adam supplied.

The messenger nodded.

Adam sighed in understanding. It was an easy mistake to make. "Nay, Prince Akhenaten has expressed disgust at the idea of concubines. He said one woman is plenty." Adam paused.

The messenger laughed quietly, being sure not to disturb the two royals who still slept. "I am here with a rather urgent message for His Highness from my commander. We've been stationed at the border for nigh on three years now."

Adam nodded soberly. "I assume it is not good news?"

"Nay, it is not. But I've been told not to disclose the details of it to anyone - I'm sorry, Adam. You seem a good man, but I cannot disobey the word of my superiors."

"I understand." Adam nodded. "I've the breakfasts here for Prince Akhenaten and the Princess. If you'd like, I will wake them now. When they've had a chance to eat, drink, and get dressed, I will show you in to speak with my master. Alright?"

"Very well." the messenger agreed, "I will wait out here. Is it alright if I sit on the floor?"

Adam stared at the armoured man before him, bewildered. "What's wrong with a chair?"

"Well - if it's no trouble I suppose."

Adam fetched an highly wrought gilt chair from Ksunamun's old chamber and placed it carefully in the corridor, so that the legs made no sound as they connected with the floor. "Sit here. You shouldn't have a long wait, the Prince usually bolts his meal down and dresses in a matter of minutes."

The messenger chuckled. "Adam, my good man, I'm so weary that I couldn't care if he took a fortnight."


Adam placed the trays with infinite caution on Prince Akhenaten's desk, the golden trays just audibly tinkling as they touched the gilt surface. Adam then approached the large bed where Prince and Princess were slumbering peacefully. He timidly touched Akhenaten's bare shoulder. "Master?" the call was muted by Adam's hesitance.

Adam jumped as Ksunamun suddenly moved, sliding her arm around Akhenaten's chest. He dared to find out if she was awake, or had embraced her husband in her sleep. "Princess?"

Her reply was groggy. "What?"

"I've your breakfast, Princess. You really must wake, and Prince Akhenaten, as well." Adam noticed that the Princess's shoulder was also bare. "Do you want me to leave so you can dress?"

"Aye, but tell me first, why must we wake?"

"There's a messenger who has an urgent message for Prince Akhenaten." Adam answered, "He is patiently waiting for you two to wake and eat."

Ksunamun clutched the heavy wool blankets to her as she sat up. She nodded, still only half awake. "Aye, alright. Give us a few minutes alone. Let me wake Akhenaten."

Adam nodded and promptly left the chamber.


Ksunamun left Akhenaten asleep as she found her nightdress - it had been carelessly flung on the floor the previous night - and hastily put it on. Many thoughts raced through her mind, almost impossible to grasp. A messenger? This early? Was it a priest? Or someone else? She drifted over to the desk, where she found her and Akhenaten's breakfasts. She didn't want hers.

she had enjoyed last night, aye, but when sleep claimed her, it presented her with a strange dream.

Ksunamun wandered back to the bed, and looked down at Akhenaten. He truly was a sight. A small smile crept to her lips, in spite of the dream, which kept replaying in her mind.

she had dreamt that She and Akhenaten had been chased for miles by strange creatures - dark beasts, that were quite like a chimera - a cross breed of a raven, and a hyena. She closed her eyes, and was wracked by shivers. The image of these hideous creatures was still burned in her mind. When she had roused, the first thing she saw was Akhenaten, still peacefully sleeping, no doubt having a pleasant dream. She had clung to him, for he was solid reality, and good. He had the power to make her forget her bad dreams, and he didn't even know it.

The misty eyes of the Princess softened as she caressed Akhenaten's cheek, her fingertips brushing across his skin as lightly as if she had traced the outline of his jaw with a feather. The image of the monsters that had haunted her dreams disappeared, evaporating as her complete line of thought turned to her Prince.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.