Flight of Destiny
Chapter 12

Copyright© 2010 by Krystal Hope

Ksunamun's eyes flashed. Her tone was demanding. "Why do you seem to be so uncomfortable?"

The Prince faltered. He was indeed uncomfortable. Ksunamun did not seem to realize what they must do now that Amenhotep was fading fast. She did not seem to understand that they could wait no longer - that any plans they had were now unceremoniously thrown out the proverbial window.

"Come on, Akhe, spill it out." Ksunamun prompted, squeezing Akhenaten's forearm, "Tell me what's on your mind."

"I-" the word died on his lips.

"What?"

Akhenaten sighed. "Ksunamun, I do not like this. Don't get me wrong - I do like it, I just think it is too quick. But, we must wed as soon as my father wakes - that is why I asked Atemakhu to stay."

She was submissive. "I understand."

He took her hand, and their eyes clung.

"Ksunamun, my little Lotus Flower, we can still celebrate. But it will just have to wait until after - you know."

"Aye, Akhenaten. I think we are wasting time."

Akhenaten fetched Atemakhu, and the High Priest explained to them the fundamentals of the ceremony. He said that the only thing that truly mattered was that they took the vows and signed the marriage contract. Anything beyond that was needless pomp.

"Good to know." Akhenaten said, chuckling almost crazily.

"This is a serious situation, we can bend the rules of what tradition dictates. Once you sign the contract, you are married, legally if in no other sense. I will make an offering on your behalf when I return to my temple, and then it will be valid in the eyes of the gods and goddesses."

"Thank you," Ksunamun nodded soberly. "I am glad we can fulfill Amenhotep's wish before he passes."

Akhenaten trained his gaze upon Ksunamun.

She felt his gaze as though he were physically touching her, and met his eyes. "What?"

"You really want to do this?"

"Aye, Akhenaten. I really do."


Ishza had at great length ceased her weeping. Her face remained buried in Sutekh's robes, though, her fists clutched determinedly at the soft fabric.

"Take all the time you need, Ishza," Sutekh said calmly, "I have great patience, I assure you."

She looked up at him, her eyes glistening. She tried to speak, but the words just wouldn't come.

"I think we could be good for each other, you and I." Sutekh said quietly, "We could be great friends."

"You would be my friend?" She asked needlessly.

"I need a friend more than a slave, Ishza. And if I were to choose a friend, I'd chose you." He had said friend, yes, but a love for this girl was slowly blossoming in his heart. He would be her friend first, though. He did not want to move too fast, because that would be a mistake for more than one reason.


When the Prince, Princess, Queen, and high priest had gathered in the Pharaoh's bedchamber, it was not long before the old man's eyes fluttered open.

"My greetings, father," Akhenaten offered the formality knowing it may be his last chance to do so.

"Son - Ksunamun - Atemakhu? Are going to-?"

"Aye," Akhenaten murmured, "Aye."

The old man smiled, even though this small gesture took a lot of energy.

"Well, let us begin, shall we?" Atemakhu broke the silence.

The ceremony could hardy be called that. Atemakhu had simply read the vows from a scroll, and the Prince and Princess were instructed to say 'I will' when it was their time.

Then they each took their turn with one of Amenhotep's quills, signing the marriage contract. It would have been a happy affair if it had not been laced with the depressive note of Amenhotep's imminent death.

After both had said their 'I wills', their eyes met. Akhenaten offered a lop-sided smile, the playful grin reassuring to Ksunamun.

When it was done, the newly wed couple shared a brief kiss.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.