Flight of Destiny
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2010 by Krystal Hope

Atemakhu had thought long and hard about what the Pharaoh had put in his mind. He knew the Pharaoh most likely hadn't meant to give him the idea, but it had never the less festered in the mind of the High Priest of Atem-Ra.

He decided to pay Princess Ksunamun a visit, and ask her the question that might alter his life for the better.

Out of courtesy he had asked Amenhotep permission to speak to the new Princess. He'd been given it at once, and had been directed by a slave to Ksunamun's chamber. He knocked on the archway, and was immediately invited in.

"Greetings, Princess." Atemakhu bowed in a sweeping motion.

"I'm not certain we've been properly introduced." Ksunamun murmured as she stood from her chair, "You were there when I was coroneted."

"Aye, Princess. I am Atemakhu, High Priest of Atem-Ra."

Ksunamun extended her hand. "I am Ksunamun, as I'm sure you know."

"I seek a favour from you, Princess." Atemakhu confessed.

"Then sit here with me, and let us be frank."

Both sat, Ksunamun resuming sitting in her chair after drawing another for Atemakhu. Ksunamun regarded her visitor with interest. "What is it you wish of me, Atemakhu?"

"I was wondering - if you would do me a rather - substantial favour."

Ksunamun smiled, and her tone was cheerful. "That depends on if I am capable, Good High Priest."

"Rest assured, Princess, I would not ask it if I did not think you could do it."

"Well then, tell me what it is."

There was a pause in which Atemakhu decided the wording of his query. "I was wondering if you and Akhenaten could show me to your village - and help me meet some of the people."

"That would be no trouble, so long as I do not have to go back to my old house. Pray, why do you want to go there?"

"Actually, I was wondering if you could help me meet some of your female friends. If I may be frank, as you suggested, I am wanting to find a female companion."

"Oh!" Ksunamun exclaimed, laughing, "I think I can help you find a girl to suit you well. Tell me, what kind of girl do you want?"

"To be honest, I just want a woman who is trustworthy, and has some tact. Someone I can be at ease with - can talk to freely about anything. Someone I can take with me to formal events, and she won't mind the fact that I'm away from home much."

Ksunamun slowly nodded, thinking about what the High Priest had just said. "I think I know someone you might like."

"You do?"

"Aye, I do. And I think she'll be delighted to have the High Priest of Atem-Ra ask for her."

Atemakhu grinned. "What is her name? Tell me about her, please!"

"There is much I could tell you, Atemakhu, but you still have to decide once you meet her, and get to know her."

"I am well aware of that, Princess, but I'd still like to know as much as I can of her before I meet her."

"Fair enough. Well, her name is Leena."

"A lovely name." Atemakhu was listening intently.

"We were very close friends before I ran from home. She is my age - I hope that's not too young."

Atemakhu pondered for a second. "How old are you?"

"I have seen nineteen rainy seasons, Good High Priest."

"Aye, that is young. But if she is mature, then she is not too young for me."

"She is wise beyond her years, I can promise that." Ksunamun assured. "She is fair, with hair of brown, not black. Her eyes are like amber - bright, sharp. She has a subtle wit, but can make you laugh helplessly if she wishes."

"She sounds like a wonderful person."

"Aye, she is. That is why she was one of my best friends."

"I wonder then, why is she not wed?"

"She was married." Ksunamun was hesitant.

Atemakhu was intrigued. "What happened?"

Ksunamun exhaled noisily. "Her husband was a good, noble man. He worked as an overseer - helping with the construction of a shrine to Osiris. There was a revolt amongst the slaves, though, and he was murdered."

"That's terrible!"

"Aye, that was two years ago. No one will even look at her now. It is because of traditions - you know, a widow is no longer pure, and seen as not fit to marry."

"I know. But it matters not to me whether she is pure in body - just in heart."

"An honourable line of thinking."

"Not many share your opinion on that one."

Ksunamun met his eyes, then took his hand. "Atemakhu, you have my word, that after Akhenaten and I are wed, we shall go to my village, the three of us. I will help you find her house, but after that, you are on your own."

"That's all I wanted of you, Princess." He sighed gratefully, "Thank you very, very much."

"It is nothing, Good High Priest. I am only too glad to help, Leena would be happy to have a new friend, I'm certain."


Sutekh had taken a weeping Ishza into his arms, fearing he may have made a huge mistake by trying to pry the secret out of her. She was sobbing into his robes, almost choking on her tears.

With infinite tenderness, he drew her closer to him and kissed her silky black hair. "You're safe with me, Ishza," he whispered soothingly, "Tell me, and let me take the full weight of your burden from you. Trust me, I know what it is like to need someone to confide in."

She looked up at him with tear-stained cheeks, and glistening eyes. "Do you?" she questioned with a small voice.

"Aye, Ishza," He sighed and decided it time to tell her. His tone was docile, confessing. "When I was growing up, my father punished me severely every time I made a small mistake. I was told repeatedly that I was a failure as a son, that I would not amount to anything. I do not want to go into details - it is painful, aye. I have been wounded deeply by my father's whip, but even more by his lack of love towards me. I always strived to make him happy, but alas, never succeeded. That was why I joined the priesthood. A priest is protected from those who would hurt them more than a common boy with no skill or training. Perhaps one day I shall tell you the details of my life - but not tonight."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.