Saga of Sam Jones
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

Buddy was on his feet. "I'll start. Remember I hadn't been married very long and I had a beautiful wife I was leaving behind. There were two young kids who were just getting used to me being a father to them and we were getting along great. But some of the family was worried about Samson and Son of Grey Goose, who have never been very far from home. Judy was among those who had concerns. I promised Judy that if I went, I would never leave her side again. Bear witness what I'm saying and shoot me if I ever do leave."

This brought laughter from the whole family gathered in the ranch yard. "Okay, most of you saw us leave on the train. Samson's eyes were looking out the window to see everything he could. Well maybe not every minute, for every once in awhile he would close his eyes and I would know his thoughts were with his little dark-haired darling and the distance between them was growing by the hour." Felicity hunted on the ground and threw a pebble at Buddy. He caught it in mid air.

"So, anyway, as we got nearer and nearer to San Antonio, more and more men were getting on the train with one goal in mind, and that was to fight the Spanish. Seats were at a premium, so me and Samson went back to the stock car where Son of Grey Goose was seeing to our animals. When we arrived and were unloading, some of those gonna' be soldier boys had been drinking and had already put their brave on.

"We was waiting for the car to move up to the chute to unload our horses. Four or five men come by and started in on Goose, claiming he had no right to be off the reservation. Samson just walked right up to them declaring he was Indian and they was brothers.

"We'll send you back to the reservation then." Samson backhanded the mouthy one and clapped two heads together when they came for him. One man run off. About that time a railroad man came rushing up wanting to know what happened.

"Samson was staring at the remaining man standing. He wanted little to do with Samson after he saw what happened to his companions. So he said nothing happened and that Simpson there is pretty drunk and Dobson and Charlie stumbled over him when he fell down."

"Well, get them boozers out of the way and let these men unload their horses."

"This all happened before we got to camp. When we got to where we were to sign on at the recruitment desk, Samson's name was on a list to be signed on. Samson spoke for Son of Grey Goose and me and we were officially in the cavalry. We have been a team ever since."

Buddy grinned and Samson took over. "Buddy makes me sound like some kind of bad ass, but them men were terribly drunk. We went about getting organized into troops and learning to maneuver under command. Many hours were spent learning to fire from our horses' backs and dismounted as well. That was good, for later we became dismounted anyway. We were given books to study all about military tactics and stuff like that. I had read much of this before, because Kenny had suggested it when I was only fifteen here on the ranch.

"There was a lot of target practice and that was what I was there for. When I got a hold of that Krag rifle, I knew I had something. The sights were some getting used to, but I got pretty good. Roosevelt came into camp after a few days and he was mighty impressed with what had been accomplished. We were there three weeks when we got orders to go by train to Florida.

"It took us four days of travel to a camp set up about twenty miles from the docks in Tampa Bay. Here we found it wasn't ready for us and that's when we really began to see how things could go wrong. I don't think we were fully supplied all the while we were gone from home. Feed for the horses was terribly short and then we were told there would be no transport to carry them to Cuba. That is when the decision was to make us dismounted cavalry and we had to march and fight on the ground.

"Roosevelt did everything he could for us. Some of the conflict was between the regular army and us who were all volunteers. Finally we got word we would be going to Cuba. The problem was, we had to be on the dock at a certain time. If we were not there our transport ship would be filled with a different unit. Roosevelt commandeered a train that was heading away from Tampa Bay. The engineer was persuaded to run his train backwards all the way for the eighteen mile distance. This put us within a few miles of the embarkation point. We had to march that remaining distance from the train to the dock with full equipment. We arrived just in time before another unit. Even then we were held up.

"We were finally loaded onto the ship, Florida, but were held up again because there was a rumor the Spanish fleet was waiting for us. We finally left port on June 13 heading for the Island of Cuba. We were part of the V Corps under Gen. Joe Wheeler. You people here at home probably know more about what happened and when. There were newspaper reporters everywhere and were right with us all the time. I would like to see what they wrote. When you are moving around and through jungles, you have no idea what is happening outside of your own misery."

Cindy answered him, "I have kept all of the papers. Things were happening here at home at the same time and you will be interested to put the two together."

"We arrived in Cuba on June 22 and were unloaded at Siboney, immediately heading toward Santiago. We came against a Spanish force at some place called Las Guasimas two days later, taking wounded and losing eight men. Our troops were coming down with fevers as we headed for Santiago.

"We reached the base of the hills overlooking Santiago on June 30. Here Colonel Leonard Wood was made a field order general and given command because of the sickness of our commanding officer. Roosevelt was raised to full colonel in Wood's place. On July 1 we advanced on Kettle Hill and succeeded in taking it."

"Is that where the picture of Buddy's Winchester and the dead trooper was taken?" This was Judy asking Samson. "I saw the picture in the paper and thought my husband had been killed, but Mary Eustis said she would know if his spirit had left him. His name didn't appear in the casualty list, although I searched each day with trepidation."

"I haven't seen the picture. That must be something one of the reporters with a camera set up. You know anything about this, Buddy?"

"Not much. When we started up the hill I had a Krag rifle. Remember we were out on the flank and you were doing what you do best. I was getting low on ammunition for the Winchester. When we regrouped, I noticed the rifle had mud all over it. Must be a reporter borrowed it. I thought nothing of it at the time."

Samson queried, "What was the reporter's name? You could ask him sometime."

"It was Richard Harding Davis. I'll write to the paper. I suppose you can't blame the reporters. The publishers were demanding copy and didn't much care if it was true or not."

Judy stopped this line of talk with, "Why bother? I have you home and that is all that matters."

Samson had promised to tell us about the war, but we could see he wanted to get over the telling of it. "We made it to the top of Kettle Hill and took a great many casualties. We still had San Juan Hill ahead of us. We were also taking fire from there while the generals were deciding what to do. This is where I came into my own. I hunkered down and had Son of Grey Goose and Buddy spotting for me.

"I was out to the limit in range of my rifle, but it didn't seem to matter. Those I was shooting at, well we didn't see them move around after I fired on them. It wasn't long before the order was given to take the other hill as we were getting pounded severely by some artillery fire. When some of our Hotchkiss guns came up, we gave it back to them.

"Roosevelt ordered a charge and set out leading. Only a few troopers went with him at the first order and he had to return. The order was given again after reforming our troops into an assault line. Most of the regiment was with him this time and we took our objective by three in the afternoon. The next day we were in Santiago and had the ability to command the waterfront and fire on the Spanish fleet in the harbor.

"That's about it. The Negras with us were some of the best troops and fought with bravery, always. Time and again they were there where we needed them. Some of them are still in Cuba. The disease doesn't seem to affect them as much and they weren't mustered out with the rest of us. We three started as a team, and we are certainly glad to be home with this behind us. I have a position starting after the first of the year that Colonel Roosevelt has secured for me. He claimed our sharp shooting team was the most effective of any.

"Roosevelt is running for Governor of New York. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for President some day. He has the charisma, but he is so bullheaded at times, not all of the politicians like him very much. They have the feeling he is too much against the banks and trusts that have been set up. These are the people that keep the party in power by donations for their reelection. I will be back here though, in a couple of years. Someday I hope to be the Indian agent on this reservation."

He sat down. Before this he had been walking around talking. Suddenly he jumped up. "Hey, you are all invited to my wedding next week. Felicity says we should be married. Who am I to argue?" This brought laughter to everyone.

I stood. "Most of you know that Jessie, whom I loved dearly, is in my heart and the memory of her will never leave me. Jessie, while she lay dying, asked Cynthia Bellows to take care of me. Cindy can do this best if she becomes my wife. Our wedding will take place on the twenty-fifth of October, here at the ranch among all of you. Our honeymoon will also be nearby, for it is hunting time. We have decided to camp out away from town and yes, the ranch as well, for a week.

"You're horrible, Daddy! I hate both you and Cindy." This was Martha screaming at me from where she was sitting between Judith and Miss Sylvia. Cindy was sitting beside Gramp in a chair that had been brought out into the yard. Martha went rushing into the house.

I started after my daughter. Gramp said, "Get me in there with you. Bring in Miss Sylvia as well. I guess I'm as close as anyone to little Martha. Closer than even you are Sam. I think I know how the child feels. She feels she lost her mother. Now she is losing you and Cindy is the one who has stolen you. Oftentimes it was just her and me here at the ranch alone and I know what's going on in her head."

Samson picked up Gramp and the chair, taking it into the sitting room before going back outside. Martha was curled up on the couch, sobbing. Miss Sylvia went to her and folded the girl into her arms. Martha clung to her grandmother. She started the conversation. "Martha, why don't you want your father to marry Cindy?"

"Because Dad is the only person I have left. Mom is gone and now he is leaving me for Cindy, and she isn't old enough to be my mother. Besides, Mom just died. Felicity told me that the reason Cindy never married is because she loves Dad and was just waiting for Mom to die."

"That's not true. Her choosing not to marry was her own decision. Cindy loves you. She has always loved you."

"Not as a mother, though."

"No, but she has to get used to the change as well, and remember your mother did tell Cindy to take care of Sam. She knew they had love for each other."

"You don't know that and she couldn't have known if Dad felt something for Cindy."

"Your mother knew about the attraction between them. We discussed it. Your mother and I had a special relationship before Sam ever came into her life and we often shared our thoughts."

"What do you mean?"

Gramp spoke up. "You don't have to explain about that Miss Sylvia."

"I think I do. Martha look at me. I'm skinny and cross-eyed and no man should want me. I thought that anyway. I came west because of a scandal. I was found in another's arms. When I was caught out, my family gave me money and told me to leave. That is when I settled in the same town your mother was born in and where I started the tea room. Your mother was terribly attracted to Sam, but he was sent to prison and John pressured her to get married to Wilcox.

"Wilcox was no good and your mother soon knew it. Not only that, she was going to have a baby. I was her friend and she spent much time with me in the tea room. If Sam hadn't come back into Jessie's life, things would have turned out much differently for her."

"How?"

"Because of the way I am and how I feel about certain things. You see, my family sent me away because I was in the arms of a woman, not a man. I felt much the same for your mother as I did for this other person and would have been satisfied to settle down with Jessie and Felicity for the rest of my life. Sam came though, and he made her happy. She did not just dump me then. Jessie thought enough of her father and me to get us together. This has worked out wonderfully for all of us. Over the years I still held your mother in my heart and at times, I wished Sam wasn't around.

"I do have a husband and children now because of your mother. What I'm trying to say is that you may love someone, but you put it aside and things may be terrible in one way, but they can come together and be wonderful in another. That is what happened with Jessie and Sam and is happening between Sam and Cindy."

Gramp spoke, "Martha, let me tell you something about your grandfather's first wife, Martha, the one you were named after. She was so sweet, just like you are. I know what you are feeling. Can you understand what it is like to love someone and it is your son who is married to her? It is hell! That is how much I loved your namesake. John and I were always at cross purposes until she died. And then I saw how foolish I was when neither of us had her.

"But then Miss Sylvia came into his life and John and I got back to where a father and son should be. I don't know but what Sam is closer to me than John, but that is because I saw Jessie in Martha and I see you in her as well. Cindy has loved Sam from afar and was willing to put her life on hold. That is a measure of her love for him. Your mother knew of that love and when she couldn't use it anymore she gave it to Cindy who could."

It was my time to speak. "Martha, your mother knew that she was dying. She wanted to do one thing more to show her love for me before she died. Cindy isn't taking the love I had for your mother away from you. She couldn't and she wouldn't. You wouldn't throw away a birthday gift given out of love. In essence, this is the same."

Martha didn't look at me while I was talking. Finally she asked, "Dad, would you ask Cindy to come in so I can apologize? I have been missing Mom so much and it seemed as if she was being forgotten."

"She will never be forgotten and the memories of her will only grow stronger and sweeter."

"Dad, I think I will go out with you instead of having Cindy come in. That will show everyone here I'm sorry for embarrassing her."

"You are so like your mother and I love you."


Martha and I were as close as father and daughter should be after this, but still she resented Cindy just a little. She was working on getting used to the idea, though. I was finding time almost everyday to go in and have lunch with my betrothed. Martha often went with me. When we reached the Seldon House, Martha would go talk to her grandmother, Sarah. The fourth time, she came and found me, saying she was staying and helping Sarah with dinner.

"Dad," this was a week before Cindy's and my marriage, "I want you to have your wedding here in the Seldon House. Grandma does too. She says out in a tent somewhere is no place for a woman's first night with a man. Samson was married two weeks ago right here and it is fitten that Cindy have the same privilege as Felicity. You get the wedding suite of rooms for a whole week if you want it. This is something Grandma said she owes you from what you did for her when she first arrived in town.

"You won't even have to come down for your meals. You can take them right in your rooms. No one would say anything if you left the ballroom early either. 'Course everyone would know where you are and what you are doing." Martha's face was bright red as she said this and then she giggled.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.