Battlemage: Book 10 - Darkness Under a Scarlet Moon
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

It had already been five nights since Ariel watched her husband die.

Because the thought had been too painful for her mind, it shut itself down to everything except for the most basic of primal functions.

Running through the tree's and brush had snagged and torn her clothing. She was dirty, ragged, and looked disheveled with her free flowing uncombed hair flying behind her and the young man pacing her thought she never looked more beautiful than she did right then.

Even though her faced looked nothing like she normally looked, displaying such hurt and anger, the young man thought she looked like the ideal predator. To him she looked cold, cruel, and calculating.

"So ... I'm called Berhtulf, but sometimes I'm known as Peter when I go among the humans. How are you called?" asked Peter as they raced through the woods.

The only sound that came from Ariel was a soft growling and then nothing else.

"I've heard the others call you Ariel, but that's a human name, probably one given to you by that human lover of yours who's gone. How does your pack refer to you?" asked Peter smiling

The sound of her scream was so mix with pain that Peter almost stumbled as he instinctively shied away and ducked under the blow from her that destroyed the tree that he had been momentarily next to while they ran.

Her swing at him made the oak tree look like splinters as it magically exploded at the center where she struck it from the force of her blow. The rest of the tree quickly collapsed and soon fell down.

The torn skin on her arm was healing within seconds of her drawing it back.

"Okaaayyyy, I see that that event is still a little raw for you. You know you shouldn't be so attached to them. Didn't your pack ever teach you that? They don't live as long and they will cause you nothing but trouble in the long run. They are nothing by prey for us," said Peter grinning and looking back at the falling tree.

The howl from Ariel that followed was full of even more pain as she lunged after Peter and he ran off while he laughed playfully at her.

He was sure that after a good run she wouldn't even give that male any more real thought.


The first thing Nathan noticed when he rushed through the door was that Terrance and Rory were sitting around the only remaining table eating breakfast.

"I see that our faith in you to find our boy wasn't misplaced," said Rory with a smile.

"Have you heard anything about Ariel?" asked Nathan with a touch of desperation.

"No, not yet we've not heard anything. The two of us just regained consciousness late last night and we were starving. We found something at the market to make while we waited here so we could be close to the house ... when you came back," said Terrance as he glanced at Kat.

Kat gave a timid smile as she realized that Terrance had still doubted her telling the two of them the truth about working hard to find Nathan.

"Ok, what am I missing?" asked Nathan as he looked between them.

"You didn't tell him?" asked Rory as he looked between them.

"No," said Kat softly

"Tell me what?" asked Nathan.

"We needed to do our part to help and so we did what we could to assist Kathryn," said Terrance quietly as he looked away.

"So, basically you both slept with her to refuel some of her powers," said Nathan bluntly.

"You know that kind of gets old," said Rory with a rueful smile.

Nathan's ability to quickly figure things out never ceased to amaze him at times.

"Ok, so Ariel believes I'm dead because I flipped out, ran out into the night in only my pants, and fell off a cliff. Well, first things first, we need to find Ariel. Ok, let's see where we can get some help," said Nathan.

"Why can't we do what we did for you and use that locator spell?" asked Terrance.

"Because right now she's so magic resistant that if magic was water she could walk on it. Kat can't use that spell because it wouldn't stick to her. We need another way," said Nathan.

Walking past them he went into the second bedroom and returned with a box sitting on a pedestal. Setting the pedestal down in the middle of the room Nathan put his hands on the crystal for a moment and concentrated so he could open a link between himself and the one he wanted to talk to.

It took a few moments, a long few moments, before a face appeared hovering above the crystal.

"I'm here, what can I do for you my boy?, " said Galen smiling.

"Galen we have several problems. Easiest one first, we found young a black mage here. He's ten and I'm guessing he is between circles seven or eight and purely untrained. He's been disowned by his family and desperately needs a home. I'm thinking since it's been a long time since your last apprentice you could take him in," said Nathan.

"What are you thinking? I'm far too old for this. What about one of your children. They would be a more likely candidate for this," said Galen sternly.

"No he wants a family. He needs a family. He needs a home, somewhere for him to belong. He needs for someone to want him and you need someone who needs you as much as we have growing up. I trust you like no one I have never trusted before, and I know you will raise him right," said Nathan with a smile.

"Ok, I can tell by your face that this is a long term argument that I won't end up winning anyway. Ok, ok, I'll do my best to raise him like my own and take him under my wing. What is the other problem?" asked Galen.

"We need help finding Brianna. She thought I was killed and she went rogue. She's running loose and we need to find her quickly," said Nathan seriously.

"Does anyone else know about this? Has she done anything that has caused anyone to take notice of her yet?" asked Galen suddenly, and the way he asked his questions made Nathan feel on edge.

"Galen what is going on?" asked Nathan quietly.

"Son no one must know. Don't tell anyone what you just said. They didn't want me to find out but the council has been working on contingency plans if this were to ever happen. We thought we were doing the best thing possible by telling them so they wouldn't try what you did, but I fear we may have done even more damage.

"But if they were find out that this has happened for real, that one of their greatest fears were realized, they would then try to enact a few of those plans to take her out! I doubt they will work given what we both know, but that won't stop them from trying," said Galen solemnly.

"What?! They have planned to do what?!" asked Nathan excitedly. "Why have you not said anything before?"

"What would I have said? "Hey Aric heard any new rumors lately? Guess what, I have." I mean I just recently found out two days ago what they were doing and that the rumors were actually true, and I was getting ready to say something to you both. I was in the middle of drafting a letter just a few moments ago to tell you what I've found out," said Galen as he admonished him.

"Can you tell me what any of them are?" asked Nathan quietly again.

"I can do better than that, I have the plans for them all, but they don't know I do. It will all be in my letter to you. But for now let's keep them in the dark about what is going on," said Galen.

"So we're on our own," said Nathan.

"You're on your own," said Galen answering Nathan's statement. "If I, or your kids, help in anyway it will only draw attention to what is going on over there."

"Just great..." said Nathan sardonically as he rolled his eyes.

"Is there anything else you might be able to do to help us then?" asked Rory.

"Who is that?" asked Galen as the hovering head seemed to be looking around the room.

"It's a friend who was trying to help me find her. I trust him with my life," said Nathan.

"Well actually I don't have any ideas, I'm sorry," said Galen sadly.

"Ok, thanks for all your help," said Nathan

"Son, I won't let them succeed, you have to know that," said Galen softly.

"I know and I trust you," said Nathan, and then he cut the connection.

"Well that could have gone better. So I guess that we're on our own here. She's been gone over a week and could be anywhere by now," said Nathan

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.