Steps - Cover

Steps

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 17

Life did return to normal and they went down to Carlton Parva for the weekend, largely because Samantha wanted to get her head together with Henrietta about the wedding. Posy had a treat because Samantha rode her on Saturday afternoon. They were no longer matched in size and therefore did not go far but the two of them thoroughly enjoyed their ride, Posy nuzzling Samantha in gratitude when they returned home and she was being rubbed down. Henry was riding a chestnut gelding that he had known since birth and had had a hand in schooling. That too was a contented match.

Both men left the women severely alone while they hatched the wedding plans. They knew it would be a Registry Office affair with Samantha's divorce but they also knew that the reception would be a big party. Their only part in that was the provision of money.

On Sunday they ordered a copy of Veronica's paper as well as their usual one. It was an excellent article, sympathetic to the two of them, rejoicing that a sex criminal had suffered again and praising Samantha's gift to charity. It cleared Samantha of Morgan's allegations of adultery, having obtained a statement from Marty, and reiterated that the marriage in June would not be incestuous. Henry and Samantha were grateful to Veronica. The latter rang her on Monday to say so.

Three weeks later a hand delivered letter arrived at the flat before they both left for work. It read:

'Lovely Samantha,

I have always thought that Tony Morgan's taste in women was faultless. Now that he is unable to sample your delights I shall be taking his place. I look forward to many happy hours. I'll be seeing you.

The Rover'

Samantha's first reaction was of disgust, then of hilarious dismissal and finally of fear: fear that she might be abducted and forced into unthinkable things but more importantly that the strain would be carried across to Henry and endanger their love. She showed him the letter. She watched the emotions that crossed his face. He tried to keep his feelings hidden but Samantha could read the slightest signs. The first was fury, the second disgust and the third concern. He put the letter down and took Samantha's hands in his.

"Don't worry, my Sams," he said. "It's just some bloody pervert jumping on the bandwagon. You'll be quite safe. I'll see you to and from work and there'll always be someone with you, wherever you are."

Samantha looked up at him and was reassured. She attempted to lighten things.

"Not in the loo, I hope."

He smiled at her but thought to himself that cover there might be important too.

He escorted her to work and saw her into her office. There was only one entrance and that was via her secretary's office. He left and went to his. He told his secretary that he was not open to visitors or telephone calls until he told her. He promised to tell her what the problem was.

First he rang Samantha's secretary. He told her the problem. Jean was horrified.

"Poor thing!" she exclaimed. "It's one thing after another: first that newspaper report and then that foul tweet."

"Yes, Jean, and I want to enlist your help. She joked about going to the loo. I'm sure your building is ninety plus per cent secure but I'd be grateful if you would accompany her between offices and even the loo so that she is never alone during the working day."

"Wow! You are taking this seriously."

"Yes, Jean. Better safe than sorry."

"She's going to grumble."

"Yes, I'm sure she will. Tell her that I told you to stick with her and to grumble at me not you."

Jean giggled. "Yes, sir! Sorry, it's no laughing matter. Don't worry, Henry. I'll be like a limpet."

"Thanks, Jean, and remember if you go to the loo or the typists or somewhere she'll be defenceless so you'll need someone in the outer office whenever you're not there."

"Oh gosh! OK, Henry, trust me. I'll make sure she's never unattended."

"Thanks, Jean. I do trust you."

He rang Ian next who was appalled. "Bloody media!" he exploded. "They have no idea the damage they can do to peoples' lives by bringing them into public. They probably do but are totally cynical about it. Henry, I'm going to have to give this some thought and possibly discuss it with colleagues. My first thoughts are that the police will be able to do no more than take note. It's not as though you're royalty or a cabinet minister. To hire a security firm would be hideously expensive as it could drag on for ages."

"How about getting Veronica to publicise it? That might make it more difficult for the swine."

"No, Henry. He'd probably revel in the publicity and use it to frighten Samantha still further. It might also encourage other weevils to come out of the woodwork."

"OK, stupid idea. I'll leave it with you, Ian, but please don't be too long."

"I won't, Henry, I promise. In the meanwhile, keep up the defensive measures you've already instituted."

"I will. Believe me!"

Ian pondered for the best part of twenty minutes and then picked up the telephone. Henrietta answered it. Rupert was out. Ian asked her to ask him to call him back.

Rupert did so about an hour later and Ian told him what had transpired. Rupert was silent: shocked and angered.

"Apart from telling me all this, Ian, why have you rung?" he asked in the end.

"Henry asked me whether I had any suggestions. I said that the police would be unable to do anything much other than take note. A private security firm would cost a bomb. I stopped him from getting Veronica Butler involved as the publicity would probably delight the devil and draw other perverts into the game. I was wondering whether you still had any contacts in your old regiment. I thought about asking Henry but I'm pretty certain that he would have refused to ask them to help him."

"You're probably right. Funnily enough, Henry's old corporal major used to be in my troop and was in contact with me about eighteen months to two years ago. I don't know what he's up to now but I could try and have a word with him if he's still serving. What had you got in mind?"

"I wondered whether they would be prepared to let a couple of their men at a time keep a quiet eye on Samantha and be ready to step in if he tries to kidnap her."

"Ooph! That's asking a lot. Those chaps are far from idle. I could give it a try though, Ian, although I'm far from hopeful. Leave it with me for a couple of hours."

Rupert rang Regimental Headquarters and asked after Mr Ellis. He was told that he was now Regimental Corporal Major and was given his telephone number. He rang him. After exchanging pleasantries Rupert came to the point.

"I have a very unusual request, Mr Ellis, and if I'm out of order please say so immediately. I shall not be upset."

He told him the story. He heard Mr Ellis take a deep breath.

"You and the young people have my sympathy, sir," he said, "and my personal inclination is to help but, if it ever got out and it probably would, there'd be hell to pay and the regiment's reputation would suffer. I'll have a word with the commanding officer but I'm pretty sure, sir, that he'll say the same thing."

"I think so too, Mr Ellis, don't bother to talk to him. It would be a waste of both your time. It was very cheeky of me to try it at all."

"No, sir. I'm pleased that you did. I know that a number of your son's troopers would be only too pleased to help out but I've got to think of the regiment's good name."

"Of course you have and quite rightly too. Thanks for listening to me and enjoy the rest of your time in post."

Thank you, sir, and please give my regards to Lady Cavendish."

"Thanks, Mr Ellis, I will."

Rupert put the telephone down and sighed. He picked it up again and rang Ian.

"No good," he said. "It's as I thought. They can't risk the good name of the regiment."

"Oh well. Nothing venture nothing gain. I have got another idea which might bring something in. I've asked the police whether they'd have another look through Morgan's correspondents, those they didn't lift, and see if any of them work in the City or more particularly Samantha's bank. It's a pretty long shot but you never know."

"Thanks, Ian. I'll keep thinking."

Mr Ellis was also thinking. He had always thought a lot of the Cavendishes, father and son, and he would like to help them if he possibly could but the good name of the regiment had to come first. He decided to go on walkabout. That often cleared his head. He went first to the stables. His old squadron was on London Duties again so he knew the men in barracks at the time better than any in the regiment. He passed the time of day with them but managed to find one thing that was not immaculate and so let them know that he did not miss a trick. He took a turn round MT (Mechanical Transport) and then paid a visit to the Squadron Corporal Major who offered him a mug of coffee. The Cavendishes were not mentioned but were in the back of Mr Ellis's mind.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.