The First Suetonius - Cover

The First Suetonius

Copyright© 2010 by Katzmarek

Chapter 11

Science Fiction Sex Story: Chapter 11 - Well before my 'Sean Beth and Roger' and 'Black Guard Tales' this is the story of the birth of the Black Guard.

Caution: This Science Fiction Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Consensual   Romantic   BiSexual   Heterosexual   Science Fiction   Post Apocalypse   Group Sex   Oral Sex  

Like some obscure reference to an old Religionist document, on the seventh day the forces engaged in the conflict - known to the Caps as 'The Com War' and to the Coms, 'The Great Patriotic War of Liberation' - rested. Seven days is, historically, the maximum time troops can remain in the field without rest, relief or reinforcement. The Com brigades consolidated their positions while the Cap High Command began figuring how to get out of a serious impasse.

Hap at NAS West Floral wasn't the only one with a SitMap feed who realized what a dilemma the Cap army faced.

Firstly, a strong Com mixed corps was emplaced at Sub-21 post. Their perimeter had steadily grown, not to facilitate an advance, but to accommodate numerous reinforcements that arrived through the fringe in a steady stream. Facing this force were the Guardians, under-equipped and too thin on the ground to successfully hold up any attack. Their general order of the day was, in the event of an advance by the enemy, to 'do the best they can then run like hell.'

Secondly, considerable enemy forces remained on the New Glasgow front - sufficient to prevent any withdrawal of Cap defensive troops for re-deployment to Sub-21. Cap tactical assets remained in the form of 'Mainforce', a powerful armored corps in position at a point approximately equidistant between the two theaters. They were prepared at a moment's notice to cover either a breakout from Sub-21, or an attack on New Glasgow. But what it couldn't do with any guarantee of success, was both at the same time.

Virtually all of the Com artillery and missile forces were grouped in a ring around New Glasgow, preventing any attempt to deploy Cap strike fighters. By contrast, at Sub-21, the Coms had over two thirds of their mobile armored brigades. Clearly, the New Glasgow forces didn't expect to be traveling far, but, on the other hand, the Com army at Sub-21 had the potential to advance within ER15 range of Cityplex. The very idea of the Coms bringing Cap population centers under air attack obsessed High Command.

Should Mainforce be used to eject Coms in possession of New Glasgow - and, it should be remembered, in possession of the old North American Association's entire fossfuel reserve and strategic air component - or engage, and likely defeat, an advance on Cityplex? The Coms had played a classic numbers' game and achieved a 'fork', to use a chess term.

It was hard to believe this strategy wasn't the result of some months of careful planning by Centercity, but a spontaneous reaction to a border 'incident.' Their forces must have been pre-positioned, Cap High Command believed, and ready to go as soon as an excuse was reported.

Let us take a moment to examine the North American Aerospace F/A-33 'Avenger 3' strike fighter based solely at New Glasgow Field - the last remaining major airbase of the old North American Air Force. The Avenger can be flown as a drone or with a human pilot to a range of 11,000 klicks with a payload in excess of 17 tonnes. Even this could be extended with some modifications. The 90 Avengers at New Glasgow could shuttle bomb to oblivion Centercity, Cityplex and Iberica simultaneously without raising a sweat or refueling. Whoever had possession of these weapons, and the freedom to deploy them, would be able to dictate terms to their enemies without the need for expensive military ground maneuvers.

Fossfuel and fighters were at the heart of the tension that existed between Capitol and its neighbors. Suetonius knew that as well as anyone. Land claims and trade disputes were trifling problems by comparison. Unless a solution could be found, no-one could feel safe in their beds and North America would be subject to recurring squabbles for many years to come.

Suetonius rode ahead of the column of riders deep in conversation with Borisov. Nestor lead a sizable force of bodyguards who called themselves 'The Kin', much to Suetonius's discomfort. A personality cult was developing around him that made him uneasy. Moira Lys, Mirri and Secoweya rode together behind.

"So long as those fighters remain in Cap possession, the Coms won't feel safe," Suetonius explained. "A 50/50 division might be an option, but, where does that leave us? Coms in possession of 45 fighters? That is not a prospect I relish."

"Maybe a 3 way split?" Borisov suggested.

"What would we do with 30 fighters?" Suetonius asked. "We lack the necessary infrastructure to ground handle or control such a force in the air. I doubt the Arks would be willing to maintain them, once they discover how much it'd cost to keep them operational. I suspect they'd become mere rusted monuments somewhere in the desert."

"Then they must be destroyed."

"Trash umpteen billions of high tech equipment? I think that's a step the Caps would be unwilling to accept. Peace has a price tag and those fighters are worth rather more. No, we must think of another solution and quick. One or other will let slip the dogs and I fear we Arks will be drawn into the battle."

"How so?" Borisov turned to Suetonius.

"Hap's heart is divided between his old home and the new. Wilson is far too comfortable among the Cap politicians and military. I never liked this idea of co-operating with their special forces. I fear Hap and Wilson may sign us up for something we won't like. The Black Guard is not for hire."

"Ah!"

"This is one reason we cannot take anarchist ideals into the Black Guard. Consensus is a far too tortuous a decision making process when faced with fast changing circumstances."

"I see that," Borisov nodded.

"Hap and Wilson will have to accept there is a chain of command and they're not yet at the top of it."

Behind, Secoweya explained to Moira Lys all Suetonius had told her. Moira Lys watched anxiously, as messengers came and went - relaying communications via hand-helds to the base station and via short wave to West Floral. She'd inserted her own message to Hap, telling him to 'keep his trousers zipped until she got there.'

She missed him terribly - a fact she tried in vain to conceal from Mirri and Secoweya. Mirri rather less so - she'd found herself easily distracted by the cluster of rather hot young Black Guard troopers around her.

Secoweya explained to her friends how Suetonius had proposed a peace conference to be held at West Floral - neutral ground - unless Hap and Wilson 'did something stupid.' He'd said he felt the parties were willing to talk - the Coms because they thought they held a winning hand - and the Caps because they were running out of military options. In any case, neither wanted an all out war, Suetonius thought, because of the enormous costs that would involve. Not to mention the squandering of a lot of the remaining fossfuel reserves of both sides.

To ensure 'security' for the proposed conference, Suetonius had called out the entire Black Guard - some 7000 troopers - to a muster at West Floral. This force was now assembling from camps along the lower Floral, from Iberica, and patrols along the Com border. Machnovistas were tasked with victualing this large body from stocks supplied to them from all the bands of the Floral and beyond.

They were still some two days out when they received word both Com and Cap negotiators were willing 'for some exploratory talks' providing the other 'did so in good faith' and 'maintained the military status quo.' It was a start - one Suetonius was determined would lead to a conclusion.

He'd staked a lot on this. He'd asked thousands of Arks to abandon their peacetime activities. He'd ask hundreds to supply food from their Winter stocks and give it to hundreds more who were to transport it all to West Floral. He risked a confrontation between Hap, Wilson and those of their supporters who wished to conduct raids into Com territory with their Cap friends. Failure was bound to leave a sour taste behind and may cause a split in Ark unity.

Nothing was bound to go smoothly and already trouble brewed over the numbers of 'special advisors' the sides wanted to accompany them. Arguments still raged when Suetonius arrived at West Floral.

What he was confronted with didn't please him at all. Everyone was turned out standing in ranks, Cap special forces men to the right and their Black Guard 'colleagues' to the right. They all sported the black allsuit, with the Black Guard wearing red/black scarves and the Caps blue. Above them, on two staffs, flew their respective flags, the Red/Black of the Arks, and the white star in a red maple leaf upon a blue field of Capitol. At the command, they snapped to attention awaiting 'inspection'.

"Commanding Officer on deck!" shouted Hap.

"Fuck off!" replied Suetonius - in Ukrainian so only his 'Kin' chuckled - except, of course, the multilingual Wilson, who looked uneasy. "We have work to do," Suetonius continued. "I've not the time for this bullshit."

Colonel Hopworth looked put out and Wilson - diplomatic as ever - explained there was an urgent matter that Suetonius had to deal with. Both he and Hap trailed after Suetonius as he strode purposefully into the admin building.

"Wilson," he said as soon as the door closed. "Your Cap friends need to make themselves scarce as soon as possible. Hap, get rid of those flags and take those ladies of yours down to the river for a swim. They've had a long hot journey. On the way out. ask Borisov to come in. Wilson, when you've finished, I need your diplomatic services." As soon as Wilson translated his instructions, Hap scuttled out with a mixture of confusion and excitement.

Later, in admin, Borisov roared with laughter. Wiping his eyes, he said, "you're really going to tell them that?"

"Of course."

"And this solution you have in mind? You really thought of that? It's brilliant."

"Actually it's an old Sioux way of settling disputes. Secoweya told me of it. I merely made a number of, ah, situational variations."

"Oh, very good, very good," Borisov enthused. "And your 'incentives?' That is also a Sioux way of doing things?"

"I want this matter settled. I merely thought of something that would make me want to conclude affairs quickly."

"Aye, it would work for me, also. We Russians spend too much time on pointless chatter, anyway," he laughed.

Secoweya and Mirri sat sharing a picnic on the banks of the river. An old drought strained willow bent its canopy of russet foliage above them offering them shade from the hot sun. Not far away, a group of Black Guard boys were playing cards and drinking beer from hogs hides.

"Are they looking?" Mirri asked her friend, her voice low and conspiratorial.

"Um..." Secoweya surreptitiously peered out of the corner of her eye. "Not sure. Maybe that blond one?"

"Thought so," Mirri grinned. "What about the cute one?"

"Which one is he?"

"You're kidding," Mirri laughed. "I mean, don't you notice anything?"

"There is one with dark eyes with his hair plaited to one side of his head. Is he the one? He seems very strong."

"Huh? There is? Hmm, I see what you mean. Honey, where have you been all my life?"

"Mirri, you are only just turned fifteen. I expect he has been growing up."

"It's just a saying, Sec. I know he's been growing up. Um, Sec? I'm kind of shy. Would you mind going over?"

"No need. He's coming over here."

"Shit, is he? What do I say to him? Sec, help me out here?"

Not far away, Hap and Moira Lys were cooling off in a small pool.

"They're going over to them," Hap said, looking behind them.

"The nights get cold, here," Moira Lys replied, shrugging. "Mirri's just realized there are many fish in the sea. Do you mind?"

"Not at all. It was bound to happen sooner or later. This thing with Suetonius and Secoweya. They really going to marry?"

"Yep. Doubt it will catch on, though. Most folks think it gets in the way of relationships."

"And you?"

"Weird shit," Moira Lys laughed. "My parents didn't marry nor their parents. They never needed a contract to prove anything."

"They've rebuilt my quarters," he told her. "Everything exactly the same. I built a bigger bed, though. Military bunks are a little on the small side."

"Oh?" she smiled and put her arm around him. "You have a mind to put it to use?"

"Soon this place will be thick with Black Guard commanders. I think we'd better stake our claim on it before someone else takes it into their head. You know what these Arks are like."

"Only too well. C'mon, I think the girls can look after themselves," she said looking in their direction. Three boys had moved 'posts' to sit beside Secoweya and Mirri. Already Mirri was giggling at some kid's pithy humor.

Secoweya watched them throw towels over themselves and make their way, arm and arm, towards the accommodation block. She thought it nice the how they shamelessly displayed public affection for one another. Such a thing would be considered almost obscene at Missouri Village.

She looked at Mirri, who was still giggling at a very rude joke told by one of the boys, Vaz. Two others were rivaling each other for her attention, but they had little English. When they talked among themselves, she could understand a little of what they were saying. Suetonius had taught her a few words of Ukrainian - not much different from the Russian these boys were using.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.