Patrick
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

In the middle of dinner, the phone rang and Mum answered in the kitchen. I was talking to Rob, and so I didn't overhear. But when Mum returned she said: "You're going to be quite happy, Pat" and sat down to continue eating.

I waited a minute or so and took the bait. "Why will I be happy?"

"Rachel's coming back to Perth."

"Really?"

"Yes. That was Michiko. The earthquake the other day seems to have frightened her parents – Rachel's grandparents. The tsunami in the north raised the water in Osaka about 60 centimeters. And they seem to have felt aftershocks. So she'll be flying in from Hong Kong over the weekend."

"Can I go to the airport?"

"I'll ask tomorrow, okay?"

"You're very excited, aren't you?" asked Rob.

"Yes."

Dad said: "'Journeys end in lovers meeting'."

"Shakespeare again!" remarked Mum.

"Where's it from?" I asked.

"Twelfth Night," said Rob. "The clown sings

'Journeys end in lovers meeting,
Every wise man's son doth know.'

to remind everyone, the twins, Orsino and Olivia, but mostly Olivia that he had earlier sung to her 'O mistress mine, where are you roaming? O, stay and hear; your true love's coming.' And now, each of them has their true love."

"See," said dad, "I'm not the only one who quotes Shakespeare!"

"All right," said Sarah, "Can we now play Scrabble?"

I was still excited. Rob absolutely killed us by using "jonquil" across "long" and "nail." I ended up last. Sarah was happy to have beaten me. Little sisters are like that.


Chaz and Michiko, Rachel's parents, called for me after dinner on Saturday; Al was with a sitter. It was late because Rachel was on Cathay Pacific and they arrive at 2230. I was wearing my suit – my first suit, that Mum had gotten me for the funeral. I was very excited. We got to the airport only a bit early and I was the first to spot Rachel, accompanied by a flight attendant. I jumped up and down and waved; she saw me and ran over. We hugged while Chaz signed a slip of paper for the attendant.

We got Rachel's luggage and sat together in back, talking.

"Can you all come over for a barbie tomorrow?"

"Can we Mum?"

"I suppose so. Did you ask your parents, Pat?"

"Unh ... no. But I'm sure it's okay. Rob'll be there, too."

"I'll phone your mum when we wake up. It's past 2300 now, and it will be tomorrow before we get to bed."

"I've got presents," said Rachel.

"That can wait till tomorrow, too."

"Yes, Mum."

When we got to my home, I started to get out.

"It's wonderful to see you again, Rachel."

"You look quite smart in your suit."

"Thank you. Thank you both, too, for letting me come along."

"No problem at all, Patrick," said Chaz.

I waved until their lights disappeared and went inside. Mum and dad were waiting up.

"She said I looked 'smart' in my suit," I said.

"And so you do."

"I asked them to come for a barbie tomorrow. Michiko said she'd phone you in the morning."

"Fine. And now it's far past bedtime."


It was around ten when I woke up and left dad's study for the kitchen.

"Morning, sweetie," said mum. "Brekker?"

"Not too much."

"Michiko called. They're all coming around 1400. You Dad, Rob and Sarah have gone out to see what they can get in the way of yabbies and fish. Maybe giant prawns. They were going to Fremantle."

"Okay." I had some juice and cereal with milk. I yawned.

"Still sleepy?"

"No. Just off schedule. What should I wear?"

"Shorts and a shirt. Take a shower upstairs."

"Right."

When I got back down, I asked: "Mum, where will Rachel go to school?"

"Oh. Oh dear. I hadn't thought about it. She's scheduled to enter Year 7 at Perth next January. And I don't know whether they ever admit to Year 6 or in mid-term. Term 1 must be half over by now. And I doubt whether she can go back with you. Interesting problem. Hmm."

I could see I'd set her thinking, so I got a book and read outside till I heard the Rover.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.