Courtin' the Devil's Daughter
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2010 by Crunchy

It was early morning as we rumbled into the small coastal town. We pulled into a workingman's cafe, and were there before most of the Regulars. I kept a close look at the waitresses face, and managed to choose a booth that didn't make her feel uncomfortable, trying to not claim anyones usual spot. We ordered coffee, and when she returned with the refill and to take our order, we decided to split an omlette and extra side of toast. I had sourcream on my half, and she used the rest of the bottle of tabasco sauce on hers, and we both had more coffee. The place started to fill up, so we settled our tab before it got too smoky- most of these working men had cigarettes with their morning coffee.

We decided to travel up the coast, as being more away from the population centers, and besides, I had to start thinking about heading back to work myself. We would cut inland, and go back down the valley awhile later. As we headed out of town, I saw some flashing blue lights in my mirrors, and heard a blip blip of the sherrif's attention getter. I pulled over warily, wondering what now. I thought a question at Eliza, and felt her shake her head warningly against my back. "Be careful, he's like the Blue Van- he's not seeing what we really look like."

The Sheriff approached with his hand on his predictable .357 revolver. Small town cops tended to go for the super reliability of a revolver over the extra eight shots of a 9mm. Can't jam a revolver- actualy, there was a way, if you were quick enough, you could keep the hammer from hitting the firing pin, somehow, and it wouldn't go off. It had been known to happen on occasion, in up close and personal encounters. Best to keep your distance from anyone you were covering.

"You better step over here with me, miss, while we get this sorted out" he said soothingly. Eliza looked at me sharply, concern for me written large in her features. I didn't need the warning, I already knew I was the target here, and that she would be as safe as possible. The Sheriff put her in the front seat, and returned to deal with me. I opened up the panier, ready to grab anything from it- But I couldn't shoot a deluded Sheriff! I didn't want to shoot anyone. The Sheriff closed the door, turned, and approched me, all serious intent, gun half drawn. Evidently Eliza read something in him, because she screamed quite convincingly, even I hesitated for a second, thinking she was in danger! She also honked the horn at the same time, and in a split second, I made my choice. I dived head first into the panier! There shouldn't have been room for me to fit through the opening, but looking back on it, if they could make a pocket universe, they could get around a fixed opening! I had just guessed that it would work, anyway, and it did. Physics, Magic- hey, when you are dealing with Deitys, what's the difference? Aparently, in this pocket universe, time stands still, because I didn't even have time to wonder where I was or what I was looking at, or what I would be breathing- little dustmotes of suns, or vaccume?- when I felt some feminine fingers in my hair, and I was pulled/spat out of the pocket universe. I thought to myself "I bet that would make a wondeful thermos/cooler/freezer! then turned to find myself kissing a very demanding Eliza! "Oh, honey, I missed you so much! Eight Hours have gone by, here is my cell phone." She replied to my unvoiced questions, and I called in to work, telling them that my life had gone to Hell, and I would be out for the rest of the week. I had probably just gotten myself fired, but that was the least of my worries! I could always get a gig as a pizza delivery driver, sure to get great tips for speedy service of piping hot pies!

Eliza giggled, with the usual results, smacked my arm, and asked "Do you want to hear what happened or not? If you would rather not know..."

I raised my hands in surrender, and grabbed her and kissed her again without premeditation, making her gasp in surprise- I think. Anyway, she played along. "Let's get another room- I am not particulary sleepy, but you have had a long day. After we are refreshed, you can tell me what happened with the Sheriff." And so we did.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.