Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story - Cover

Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 2

Each group had someone go to the mike closest to their area and speak. Jimmy Warren was first. He said, "Our group is in favor of a trip so our answer is 'yes.' However, many of us don't want to go because of what we have here." There was an approving murmur in the crowd. The second, third, and fourth groups' speakers stood and agreed with Jimmy.

The fifth group's speaker was Gladys McMahon, a young woman of about twenty. "I speak for our group though they are aware that I don't agree. Our group, by a narrow margin, is against such a trip. We feel there is too much needing to be done here and an exploration trip would take needed resources from the community that could better be used here. As for me, I want a trip and I want to go!"

The sixth and seventh groups were in favor and added nothing saying they would speak to other issues later. The eighth and ninth groups were also simply in favor. The last group, the tenth, was a worry to me. It contained some of the people who I thought would be against a trip and many of them were in favor of moving away from any technology though some griped the most if labor saving devices weren't available. Many of them also were late entrants to our community.

Josh Hanson stood and went to the mike. He said, "Our group is against this trip. We do not think such a trip should be made. We feel that the Woods should be closed to new members and protected from improper influences."

There were a few boos which I waved away. I said, "Continue, Josh, if you have more."

"Yes," he said, "I have more. It is time to decide what kind of community we will be. In doing that, we should limit access and bring other people's thinking in line."

More boos were heard along with a few shouts of anger.

"Josh," I said, as I waved an arm for quiet, "you are a newcomer to the Woods. If we had limits on people joining before then, you might have been excluded." Josh looked up at me in shock. He hadn't thought of that. "This community has been controlled by a majority with a council to guide it in following the decisions made by all. That means there is and will be diversity in opinions. It appears, Josh, that your opinion is in a small minority. I think you and those who feel as you do should carefully consider your thinking and options." I didn't have the right to run anyone off and that was as close as I felt I could go in suggesting he leave the Woods and set up his own community somewhere else. I didn't think he would, he didn't have the guts. However, he would be a pain in Paul's ass in the future if everything went as I hoped.

"I believe the sentiment is clear to make this trip. However, I ask for a show of hands as is our custom. All in favor?" Almost three-quarters of our entire community raised their hands. "All opposed?" The small minority raised their hands. "It is clear, the ayes have it. The trip will now be planned." Josh stood up at the mike. Since no one else was standing, I recognized him. "Josh, you may speak."

"This trip is a mistake and is against what the Woods represents. You people are all fools."

"Josh," I said, "it seems the vote is clearly against you. Because you feel so strongly, perhaps you should consider moving on to another community or establishing your own somewhere else." Not the most tactful thing to say, but I had been tired of Josh for a while. There were some cheers and some shouts of "Leave Josh."

Josh was angry. He said, "I will leave. It's clear to me that you misguided fools are people best not to live with."

"Very well," I said, "Jack, Becky, please oversee Josh's leaving. I expect him to be on the road by noon tomorrow at the latest." Josh and his wife and children left. Two other families left with him.

Jack and Becky came to me. Quietly, Jack said, "What are we watching for? This has never happened."

"That's true." I said. "Josh and his family and any others may leave with what they brought and anything they have produced or they have gained by trade. They may not take community property and they may not remain." I stepped to the mike and repeated what I had just said and added, "I am asking Jack and Becky to oversee this and to be fair to them even if they take a bit more than they should. Do I have the community's agreement?" An overwhelming roar of approval swept up to me. "Thank you."

Jack and Becky left. With them went a half dozen men. I started to say something but Wendy shook her head. I kept silent.

"At this time, the discussion before us will be a rough proposed route, the size of the party, and what supplies and resources might be needed. The community has voted on this trip so no further discussion will continue on that question. We will now look at ways and means ... and directions.

"Let's get an initial readout of who wants to go. Would those wanting to go, please raise your hand." I raised my hand and heard Wendy's chair scrape as she stood and raised her hand. We smiled at each other. Out in the audience, there was a gasp seeing that we wanted to make the trip. There were about twenty other hands raised. Most of them were younger. "That would make a good party. We would be large enough not to be attacked but small enough to travel at a moderate pace. I propose that those who have raised their hands will be in the party subject to council approval. Folks, you need to have a reason to go and bring some skills to the trip."

The tenth mike had few people left there when two teenagers ran up to the mike. "We want to go on this trip or stay here. We will not go with our father." The young man said and the girl beside him nodded in agreement.

"Who are you?" I asked though I thought I knew.

"I am Jeremy Hanson and this is my sister, Joanna. We will not go with our father. He is wrong."

"How old are you?" Wendy asked from beside me.

"I am fifteen and Joanna is sixteen. We are old enough to decide for ourselves."

I could see an angry Josh coming into the area. Before he could reach the youngsters, I hollered, "Stop him!" Ten men jumped up and grabbed his arms stopping him from closing on his children. "Our rules are that you are an adult at fifteen. Doc, do your records show that they are fifteen or older?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.