El Yes, We'd Like Some of That - Cover

El Yes, We'd Like Some of That

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 24

WEDNESDAY 6:58 P. M. CST Navy Pier, Chicago, IL


It's a good thing that CNN had three active cameras in the Navy Pier location that night. Three separate events took place almost simultaneously at this point:

One: Lake Michigan exploded again with a riot of color headed for the sky. This time the explosion looked it was doing an Energizer Bunny imitation however ... it kept going and going and going.

Two: a separate gate was formed at the opposite end of the Navy Pier and a seemingly unending stream of humanity began pouring from it. At first glance it became apparent that these travelers had come from every nation on the globe. Second glance lead to the fact that this was the oldest group of travelers anyone had ever seen. Canes, walkers, wheelchairs and even nursing home beds were in evidence.

Three: The gate at the end of the Navy Pier activated and the vessel carrying Miklit and Pilot appeared in front of it. While the majority of the new hatch circled in a holding pattern overhead.

After these events had played out The President's voice could be heard from the podium once again, "Ladies and Gentlemen, if I might have your attention once more, I'll see if I can explain the historic event you've just witnessed and what is coming up."

Camera One panned back to the podium just as The President said, "You might be asking yourself by now, what in the world are seventy and eighty year olds doing by heading off to a frontier environment? Well, that's where Gaia's final gift to her children comes into play. When these brave souls before you transit through the gate for this first time, their physical age is going to be regressed to exactly what it was on their eighteenth birthday. I'm told and I believe it to be true, that this is a one time event for all travelers. So you can set aside thoughts of eternal youth.

What Gaia is offering here is the chance to combine extremely full lifetimes of experience with the physical stamina of youth to put that experience into action. It is the best of both worlds and you can bet we'll use it until it squeals.

I'd like to address my next remarks to the current leadership of the world. You all know me after the last seven years. You know that I don't say things I don't mean, or just to hear myself talk. You know that when I do speak you can take what I say to the bank. Well, I'm telling you now that humanity's future is out there among the stars. Don't be left behind. Ensure that you have a presence in the future. There is also the immediate benefit of reducing the drain on our dwindling global resources. Imagine reducing your population basis by ten to fifteen percent. Imagine the reduction in needed support systems. All those imaginings I've asked of you, can become your reality. Join us in this great human adventure. Thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing your people out there.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe that's my cue to exit stage right. I want to thank you once again for allowing us into your homes this evening and wish you all the very best. We look forward to seeing all of you out there and yes, we'll leave the light on for you. God bless you one and all, and good night."

As Miles ducked into the changing room CNN had setup; Sharon entered behind him while she started pulling out jeans and his other casual clothing. In the mean time he scrubbed at his face to remove the makeup, hopefully for the last time. Once he was dressed again they joined the CNN producer by Miklit's ship and the CNN producer asked, "Well, what now, Mr. President?"

Miles glanced his way, then looked at his watch and smiled while responding, "That's President Emeritus as of three minutes ago. My best guess is that we'll follow the order laid out when Gaia planned this little event. My understanding is that Miklit's craft will be the first transit and then everyone here will browse through the worlds that are available. After they've made their choice, they'll step up, pick up their Dragon escort and then transit to their new home worlds."

The producer ran off to setup camera angles and Miles turned to Sharon saying, "Well have you chosen a home place yet baby?"

"Oh My God, that's the one thing I forgot to do. Hang on a second and let me look through the choices," Sharon answered in a panic.

"Honey, take it easy. There's no rush and we don't have a schedule to keep for the first time in seven years. Take your time, Dear. After all, you're picking out our home," Miles said with a warm smile.

"Humm, you know that could be a first. A man just told a woman to take her time shopping," Sharon responded with a grin.

"Well, I do want some input too, Kiddo. Don't forget I have to live there too."

About the time this exchange ended Miles felt a tingle on his temple. Thinking it felt like an incoming call he mentally answered, 'Yes?'

'Good evening, Mr. President. We're just about ready for Miklit's send off. After that we'll process everyone as they make their decisions. I assume your wife is browsing the worlds even as we speak?'

'Good evening back to you, Mike. Yes, she's lost to the shopping gene and this could take a while. By the way, my name is Miles to my friends. I quit being Mr. President five minutes ago.'

'Sorry, Mr ... er Miles, this really could take a bit of time. Looks like we're going to have to come up with a better process. Maybe contact folks before they arrive and have them do the shopping off stage.'

'Hey, I just had a thought. Have you folks eaten this evening? If not, maybe you'd like a sample of what we're trading Miklit's people for the matter transmission network? Oh, and how do you guys take your coffee?'

'Let me ask real quick. If it's yes, that'll be one black and one with cream and two sugar substitutes, ' Miles sent. Reaching over he tapped his love on the shoulder and asked, "Hey, Kiddo, want a snack?"

"Sure honey, that would be real sweet, and thank you Baby," Sharon responded with a smile.

'OK, Mike. Where do I need to go to pick them up?'

'Just hold out your hands in front of you, palms up. All of it should weigh about three pounds. Ready?'

'What? You're not going to do that, are you?'

A chuckle came over the net followed by, 'Miles, think about it. I installed that comm unit from over half way across the country. What makes you think I'd have trouble with three pounds of pastries, coffee and a tray from four blocks away?'

'Duh, just didn't think it through. OK, ready when you are.'

'OK, here it comes. Oh, I tossed in a couple of going away gifts for you and Sharon. Make sure you wear them daily.'

Miles felt something weighing his hands down and then his eyes caught up with what his arms had told him. Looking down he saw that he was now holding a tray with four scrumptious looking pastries, two heavenly smelling cups of coffee and two tiny gift wrapped boxes.

Nudging his wife, he said, "Hey, Kiddo, snacks are here."

Opening her eyes, Sharon gasped out, "How..." and then the aroma swept over her senses, "oh my, that smells delicious."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.