Sparks - Cover

Sparks

Copyright© 2010 by black_coffee

Chapter 18

11:40 Tuesday, July 9th, 1991
Sonoma Valley Inn
550 W Second St, Sonoma, CA 95476

Sandy sighed. The last few days had been ... intense. Dan was like a ticking timebomb, and he still blamed Ben and Sandy for Lenore's sudden intractability. Sandy was sure Dan was biding his time until he met Lenore's paramour.

Sunday passed, with Lenore conspicuously sunning herself at the hotel's pool. Dan and Kate returned from the social meeting with the Hardings and the new broker enthusiastic. Dan's mood gradually deteriorated into sullen hostility, snapping at Lenore during supper Sunday. Sandy calmly told him the two people on the Chief's boat Dan hadn't yet met or heard of were Chief Kostowe and Lieutenant j.g. Rudolfs, and Lenore was not at all interested in Rudolfs. Dan asked about Kostowe, and Ben pointed out that one takes a long time to become a Master Chief Boatswain's Mate, Retired. The Chief was about eighty-five years old. Dan was a bit childish, Sandy thought, muttering about old men having heart attacks on boats.

Monday was intense, too. Dan wanted to go to the marina and see for his own eyes what was going on, and Kate stepped in, firmly, when Lenore exploded.

Rudolfs would be living on board the boat for the next few weeks, while Kostowe went home to San Mateo each night, which was apparently either a long drive over a bridge, or a longer drive around the bay. Sandy shuddered to think what would happen if Dan arrived at the marina and mistook Rudolfs for Lenore's mystery boyfriend.

Kostowe was a quiet relief for everyone. Each threw himself or herself into learning about the boat. Sandy now knew more about bilges, pumps, and seals than she'd ever dreamed was possible. She made points with Kostowe when she asked for the various manuals, and found Ben had already asked for and received them.

The Gunny brought chicken salad, rolls, lettuce, and grapes from a supermarket, which made for a pleasant lunch. Sandy was pleased to see how attentive he was to Lenore, but still very much a part of the general conversation. A few moments before he left, he and Lenore walked to the front of the bridge for privacy. Sandy watched Kostowe observe this. He seemed almost ecstatic to Sandy's eye. As she came to know the man, he seemed less and less reserved to her, or she was reading him better. Kostowe turned in time to catch Sandy watching him. He gave her a grave nod, then busied himself in the cabin.

Lenore, Sandy, and Ben read the various manuals while Rudolfs moved about. Sandy was astounded to do the math on the fuel tanks and the chart on fuel consumption vs. hullspeed, and come up with a range for the boat that was simply phenomenal. She'd made the mental note to ask Kostowe about it. Neither Lenore nor Ben seemed excited by it, though.

And now, here Sandy was, trying to call Barbara Harding once an hour, having banished Ben to Lenore's room. Barbara, pick up the damned phone.

"Hello, Harding residence."

Sandy barely kept the relief from her voice. "Hello, Barbara?"

There came a light laugh from the other end. "No, I'm Deb. Barbara and I were just sitting to lunch."

Sandy felt her cheeks redden, even though she was alone in the room. "I'm sorry, should I call back later?"

The other person, Deb, laughed again. "Barbara says that if you know her, you know when to call."

Sandy was getting desperate. "Please, before you hang up, I don't know her very well, I just met her last week. My name is Sandy Sparks."

There was some muffled noise on the phone, and the voice on the other end of the line changed. "Miss Sparks?"

Sandy exhaled. Relax, girl. Calmly, you're the Ice Queen. "Sandy, please."

"Sandy, Chief Kostowe called me last evening, with some very interesting news about a family friend. I suppose this call is related?"

Sandy sighed. "Yes, ma'am. How much did the Chief explain?"

"As much as he knew, Sandy, and everything I could dig out of him. I have to admit, I am absolutely tickled. Lenore seems like such a nice girl, and I owe you some thanks for getting her parents to call me. We will be near-neighbors, I think, and good friends, when we find them a place to put down some new roots." Barbara's voice took on a considering quality. "I suspect I know why you're calling, Sandy. Kostowe said the Gunny's fallen as hard as he's ever seen. The age differential is fairly extreme. I can only hope Lenore understands what she's getting into."

Sandy found herself falling into Barbara's speech pattern, trying to match the cultured Mrs. Admiral Harding's polite conversation. "Yes, ma'am, I think it won't sit well with Dan. I was calling, hoping I could plead for some help. When the Gunny and Dan meet, it should be someplace rather conspicuously public."

Barbara laughed, richly. "Oh, Sandy, we're going to get along so well. Has Kate met the Gunny?"

"No, ma'am."

"Tomorrow, then, for lunch, Kate, and I will join you on board the Joy Redux. Deb will make us a picnic lunch. Then, we'll make our plans. I will make arrangements with Kate, if you would invite the Gunny?"

"Of course. One more thing, ma'am?"

"Sandy, a moment. Now, I've mentioned how strange the age difference is. It will serve to make differences that were once insurmountable much smaller. For example, the Gunny is close to us, and I suspect Lenore will become the daughter we never had. How could her friends be left out? Sandy, you'll call me Barbara, and not 'ma'am'."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.