Sparks - Cover

Sparks

Copyright© 2010 by black_coffee

Chapter 12

06:20 Friday, June 28th, 1991
The Biltmore Hotel
2400 E Missouri Ave, Phoenix AZ

Dan threw the last of the bags into the bed of the truck, and everyone climbed in. Dan and Kate sat in the front, while Ben was between Sandy and Lenore in the back. As they left the hotel grounds, Sandy took a deep breath. "I'm sorry I was such a wreck last night."

Lenore patted her knee. "It's called a 'catharsis', Sandy. That's what they taught me in Psych 121, anyway. You needed to get it out."

Conversation was subdued for the next ten minutes, though just as they turned onto the freeway, Ben announced loudly, "Okay, everyone. Sandy's trying to learn Spanish, and we're all somewhat fluent. For the rest of this trip,

unless we're out of the truck, let's try to speak only Spanish."

Sandy looked at Ben in dismay, while everyone else laughed.


14:30 Friday, June 28th, 1991
Mobil Station, I-10 Frontage (Westbound)
Beaumont, CA

"Go on," Ben nudged.

Sandy shrugged. She walked up to the cashier, the credit card from the ranch in her hand. She read the name on the card, "DeeCee Ranch". She realized the cashier wouldn't question her signature. When he looked at her, she said, "Numero trece."

He replied, "Cincuenta siete dólares," so she handed over the card.

A moment or so later, the receipt printer chattered, and she signed the slip. Just before turning away, she felt bold enough to add, "Adiós."

She hid her pleasure at her success behind her cool, and as they walked to the restaurant, Ben smiled at her wryly. "You did well, your highness."

Sandy gave in and smiled warmly at him. He returned it just as warmly.


18:00 Saturday, June 29th, 1991
Holiday Inn, 2730 N. Main St
Walnut Creek, CA

After the second long day in the truck, Sandy felt beat. She felt sure everyone else did, also. Ben developed a cough in the truck, one which worried her. The look of distaste on his face as the spasms ended suggested things might be developing into something worse.

When the family checked into the hotel, Sandy announced that she and Ben were tired, and would stay in the room to watch a movie. Over supper at one of the innumerable steakhouse chain restaurants near Pleasant Hill, the family made their plans.

"Tomorrow, I'll do laundry, while Dan gets us a rental car. You kids should do something fun. Any thoughts?"

Lenore chimed right in. "I'd love to go spend a day in San Francisco. Maybe we could all meet up for supper in Chinatown?"

Dan laughed, good-naturedly. "There's this model railroad here in town I've wanted to see for years, anyone else interested? It's supposed to be huge ... an entire building filled with trains."

Wow, Sandy thought. He's really different when he's away from the ranch. This has to be what Kate is trying for.

Kate smiled at him indulgently. "Men and their toys..." She explained to Sandy, "He's always wanted to build a model railroad. He's wanted to do it since he was a kid. But with the ranch ... and if we bought a vineyard, it'd never happen."

"But this is California, where someone has already built it and found three hundred other people to do it with them. I won't need my own railroad." Dan wore an easy, relaxed smile, twin to the one Ben often wore when he wasn't fretting about work.

Sandy reflected a moment on her small insight, pondering how his father shaped Ben, and Lenore was a younger Kate. What does that make you, then, your mother's daughter? Sandy shuddered inwardly.

Ben coughed again, discretely, but the rattle in the cough caught Sandy's attention. She caught Kate watching her from around the table to Ben's left. Sandy shared a nod with Kate and stretched to murmur into Ben's ear. "Tomorrow, you're getting checked out."

He didn't turn to look at her, though he squeezed her hand on the table.

Sandy offered to take Lenore into San Francisco with her and Ben. Kate gave Ben the name and address of the hotel in Sonoma they'd all stay at from Sunday afternoon onward. He wrote it down with the pen Sandy kept in the small purse she carried.

Sandy smiled brightly around the table. "I'm glad we made plans to split up tomorrow."

"Why's that, Sandy?" Dan asked, playing straight man.

"Because the group Spanish lessons are finally over!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.