Better Than New
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2010 by Coaster2

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 4 - Newly divorced, Val sees his luck and his life turn around in a most unexpected way.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Slow  

Act 4

Monday, February 22nd, 3:45pm

"Hi Val. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up. The Bugatti is about ready to roll. I phoned Warren this afternoon and he'll be over here tomorrow morning. We're going to take it for a test drive first, then come over to BTN before lunch if everything works out."

"Good, Dad, glad to hear it. So what are you going to do with your time now that the fun is over?" I kidded.

"Funny you should mention that. I think Warren wants to talk to us about another project. This one might be a bit bigger. I'll let him tell you about it."

"What about your shop. Is everything under control there?"

"Yeah. They're doing just fine without me. In fact, I'm thinking of selling it to Robbie and Karl. That would free me up to do some special stuff. I'd just rent some space and equipment from them. Your mother thinks it's a good idea, so that's two votes in favor. What do you think?"

"Well, if Mom thinks it's okay, then I guess I can go along with it. But ... let's talk about it first. There may be some other options."

"Sure. It's just an idea for now. No panic to do it."

"See you about noon then," I said, signing off.

I turned to Doreen. "Your favorite car is arriving today. Should be here by noon."

"Oh good. God, what I wouldn't give for a ride in it."

I tucked that wish into my list of things to do for my girl. I doubted Warren would turn me down.

Tuesday, February 23rd, 12:30pm

"Everything go okay on the test drive?" I asked.

"Just fine. Your father has this car running absolutely perfectly. I couldn't hope for more."

"I wonder if I might ask a favor, Warren. Doreen would love to have a ride in this car. She's been lusting after it since the first time she saw it. Says it reminds her of the old Hollywood movies from the thirties."

"Oh, of course. I'd be delighted. In fact, why don't you, your father, and Ms. Gordon join me for lunch? I'll drive her out, and bring her back."

"That would be great, but I don't want to impose on you."

"No imposition at all, Valentine. Besides, we have some additional business to conduct, if you are interested."

"I'm certainly willing to listen. I'll get Doreen."

I walked into the portable and found my new girlfriend with her head buried in paperwork.

"Okay, babe. Close up the books. I'm taking you to lunch."

"You are. What's the occasion?"

"You've been asked to join Dad, Warren, and me for lunch at the Beeson home."

"I have?" The surprise was complete.

"Come along, girl. Your ride is waiting."

As we stepped out of the portable office, Doreen stopped and gasped as she saw the Blue and Black car shining in the midday sun.

"Oh, Val. It's so beautiful."

"Come along then, Ms. Gordon," Warren said as he opened the passenger side door. "Mrs. Davis will be anxious about lunch being delayed."

The look on Doreen's face was priceless. She was walking as if in a trance toward the car, then sliding inside before Warren shut the door and walked around to the driver's side. Dad and I watched as Warren pulled away smoothly and headed to his home. We followed in the van at a discreet distance.

"What an amazing car," she exclaimed as she met us in the driveway. "It was so quiet, yet it just sailed along. I felt like I was in a movie or something."

"I can tell from the look on your face that you enjoyed it," I grinned.

"Yes. Every second. The only part that felt strange ... there's no seat belt, and the seat isn't like the ones in the new cars. It was a bit slippery. It really felt strange at first."

Warren led the way into the stately home, with Mrs. Davis meeting us and taking our coats. It was interesting to see my father had dressed for the occasion, and not in his usual coveralls. He was enjoying every second of this adventure.

After lunch, we moved to the library as Warren had indicated he wanted to talk to us. I had made sure he knew Doreen was an integral part of my business, so there was no question she would be there as well.

"I have to confess that the past two months have awakened a long dormant passion of mine. I have always been a bit of a 'car nut, ' but never really allowed myself the time to indulge. Your work, Dave, to make them roadworthy again has been fascinating to watch. I want to be able to drive these cars, as well as show them.

"I wonder if we might form a partnership that would find and restore special cars from the past; bringing them up to concours status? Naturally, I would fund these projects. I expect you would run this venture at a profit."

It took me a minute to offer a comment. "Restoration work on old cars can be very, very expensive. There is seldom any return on that investment, other than the pride of ownership. Only one car in a hundred would fetch a profitable price."

"I'm aware of that, Valentine. This would be a hobby that would give me something to look forward to. Beeson Industries is in decline. It has been for some time. Most of my wealth comes from investments in property development. I could see the future of the furniture business was going to be limited quite a few years ago, so I diversified and have done so ever since.

"I've always felt some responsibility to the employees that they have as much job security as I can practically provide, but sadly, that won't be for much longer. The land that the business sits on is far more valuable than the business itself."

"Am I out of line in suggesting you've talked to my father about this already?"

Warren smiled, "Yes. Your father and I share a love of these fine old vehicles. As your father will tell you, he can understand them, unlike the new machines of today. I think we both discovered just how much pleasure we could derive from bringing them back to life."

I saw my father nodding as Warren spoke.

I stated, "If we were going to do this as a full fledged business, we would need to merge the bodyshop with the mechanical shop. It would mean reconfiguring BTN. I'm already in the middle of an expansion, so it would take a bit of thinking to pull it all together."

"Yes, I understand. However, you do have some additional space on the new property you've added which would permit the construction of the mechanical facilities. They could be designed specifically to suit the type of work your father and his people would be doing."

"I suppose so. Do you have an idea of what you'd need, Dad?"

"Funny you should ask," he chuckled. Warren handed him a roll of blueprints and he passed them to me. I looked at them and immediately realized they were the outline of a further extension to my new building. Marked out in red ink were machine and equipment locations that had obviously been added afterwards. I was sure they were in my father's hand.

"This has all the look of a conspiracy," I said, turning to Doreen. "What do you think?"

"I think my job just got a whole lot more complicated," she smiled.

Thursday, April 22nd, 9:45am

My head snapped up when I heard the sharp rap on my door frame. As usual, the door was open, but never before filled with the unexpected visitor.

"Hello, Trip, what can I do for you?" I didn't frame my question in a welcoming tone.

"I wouldn't mind a word with you in private. Perhaps your secretary can find somewhere else to work?" he said with a sour look at Doreen.

"Ms. Gordon is the Administrative Manager of this business and as such is involved in all my business affairs." I wasn't about to put up with his bullshit arrogance.

"I consider this more of a personal nature." He wasn't bending.

"Concerning what?"

He hesitated before answering, then, "My father."

"My relationship with your father is strictly business. Ms. Gordon stays."

I could see him flush as his anger began to get the better of him. It was time to wait him out.

"Very well. I want to know just what that business is about. As far as I can tell, my father is about to squander hundreds of thousands of dollars or more on some ridiculous scheme to restore old cars. I'm here to put a stop to it."

"Oh, really. Have you discussed this with your father? After all, it was his idea, and as far as I know, it is still his money."

"Don't give me that, Keating. This is your perverted way of getting even with me for stealing your wife. Not that it took any effort."

I bit down on the inside of my cheek, doing my level best not to explode at this asshole.

"Trip, you may not know it, but you did me a favor taking Monica off my hands. I've done a lot better ... light years better ... since she left. I guess I should thank you, but I can't really bring myself to reward you for being the slime-ball you are. Now, I suggest if you have a problem with how your father wants to pursue his new hobby, you take it up with him. In the meantime, I have work to do, so you can run along."

That last shot had really elevated his blood pressure, and it was all he could do not to explode.

"You haven't heard the last of this, Keating. I'll have my lawyers on your case by the end of the day. This isn't over," he snarled as he turned and stormed out of the building.

I stood, watching him go, boiling with mixture of anger and resentment. I had won this little skirmish, and I wasn't in the least bit worried about his threat of siccing his lawyers on me. On the other hand, I wondered if he could cause his father all kinds of problems that might interfere with our plans for the new business.

I was still clenching my fists when I felt two soft hands on my shoulders.

"Take it easy, Val. He's gone and he can't do anything to you. I thought you handled that perfectly. Especially the part about how you thanked him for taking Monica. The look on his face was something to behold."

"Let's just hope he can't cause Warren any grief. He's so completely committed to our project that I don't know what would happen to him if Trip got in the way."

She stepped in front of me, her arms around my neck.

"Light years better?"

She made me smile. "Yeah ... light years."

Thursday, April 22nd, 4:15pm

"Better Than New, Val speaking,"

"Hello, Valentine. Do you have a moment?"

"Yes, of course, Warren. How can I help you?"

"Well, I suspect it's more a matter of how I can help you. I understand you had a visit from my son this morning."

"Yes, Trip was here."

"I suspect it was to try and put a stop to our new venture. That was certainly the theme of his message to me."

"Yes ... but as I explained to him ... this is your project and your money and I wasn't about to interfere with the wishes of my partner."

"Yes ... well ... I don't think he liked that answer very much. However, I spent several hours with him today, explaining just how things were going to change. I don't think he's very happy with me right now, and I don't expect that will change in the near future. Perhaps you and I can have coffee tomorrow morning at your shop and I'll lay out what I have planned for Beeson Industries and our venture. I think you'll understand then just why my son is very displeased with me at present."

"You're always welcome here, Warren. Come when you are ready. The coffee will be fresh and the atmosphere friendly."

I heard his soft chuckle as he said, "I'll be there early. Good afternoon, Valentine."

"Good afternoon, Warren."

Friday, April 23rd, 7:20am

"You weren't fooling when you said early," I kidded as Warren sat in the chair across from me in our new meeting room. "How do you like the new offices?"

"Very nice. Very much in keeping with your style, Valentine. Clean, tidy, efficient, professional. Very nice," he repeated.

"Thank you." This was Warren's meeting, and I was waiting for him to begin.

"As I told you, I had quite a long session with my son, yesterday. He's quite upset with me, and that provoked some heated exchanges between us. I thought that it was time I laid out the facts of life for him.

"He's never really been involved in my business affairs, other than to manage the store. Quite frankly, he's not very good at it, as I'm sure Ms. Gordon and Ms. Findlay have told you. Ever since his mother died, he's been struggling to find himself. He was our only child, and his mother doted on him. When she was gone, he had a very difficult time.

"On my own, I'm afraid that I took refuge in my business rather than with my son. He was left in the care of my housekeeper. I had hoped that a conventional education in public school would have helped socialize him rather than a private school. Perhaps that was a bad decision. You went to school with him, Valentine, so you know what he was like then. I suspect he wasn't very sociable."

"He had friends, Warren, but I don't think they were real friends. Perhaps they were impressed by his status, and your wealth. I didn't have much to do with him at school. We moved in different circles."

"Yes ... I'm sure you did. When he went off to college, I was again hoping that he would temper his attitudes and act in a more congenial fashion with his peers. However, he got involved with one of the elite fraternities and that only cemented some of his values in place. When he graduated, he wasn't ready to go to work. He didn't know how. He'd never had to work for anything. Frankly, I didn't know what to do with him.

"It was about that time that I knew the furniture business wasn't going to be the future of Beeson Industries, and I diversified into real estate and property development. Thinking he couldn't really do too much harm, I gave him management of the retail store. I'm afraid my worst fears were realized when I heard how he was behaving. Unfortunately, I didn't have anything else that I could entrust him with."

Warren leaned back and sipped his coffee. He was silent for a while before uttering a sigh.

"Yesterday, the time had come for me to have a frank discussion with him. I won't go into all the details, but to be honest, I was both angry and frustrated with my son. He seems to have learned nothing in his thirty-three years on this earth. He has a sense of entitlement that allows him to think he will just go on the way he has without interruption. Yesterday, I disabused him of that notion.

"I have told him that I will be selling the retail furniture store to a national chain sometime in the next month. The offer has been on the table for some time, and I have been procrastinating because I didn't know what I wanted to do about Warren. At any rate, he was at first shocked, and then questioning me about what his new job would be. When I told him I didn't have a job for him, he became quite upset.

"I have told my son that his future is in his own hands. He supposedly has a college education and some experience, and it is now up to him to make his way in the world. I will be no longer able to help him. He knows that I am very wealthy, and I believe that he expected that I would simply hand over some of that wealth to him to allow him to maintain his frivolous lifestyle. He knows now that I will not. Oh, he will still inherit when I'm gone, but for now, he's on his own.

"I am fifty-nine years old, Valentine. I have been a widower for almost twenty-five years. I loved my wife with every fibre of my being, and when I lost her, I was lost too. I've never even thought about remarrying. Business became my life, and now my son and I are paying the price for that. However, the discovery of those two wonderful automobiles in the old factory has had a dramatic effect on me. With the help of you and your father, I'm alive once more. I have something to look forward to. Something to live for."

I don't think I'd moved a muscle while he had poured out this story to me. I almost felt sorry for Trip. I had been raised in a loving family with both a father and mother. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like without my mother there. That made what came out of my mouth next almost incomprehensible.

"Is there no place for Trip in this new venture?" I asked, wondering what in the hell I was thinking.

Warren looked at me with a warm smile. "After what he did to you? Would you even consider it?"

He knew. "He's your son. I won't pretend I like or respect him, but ... he's your son."

Warren was shaking his head. "Valentine, I don't think you know just how remarkable you are. You don't have children, do you?"

"Not yet."

"Don't wait too long. I think you will be a very good father. Don't wait too long."

"Let me give some thought to what we might do with Trip," I suggested. We're going to need someone to scout out the opportunities. I wonder if he could handle that. You and he could visit the prospects, then come back and we could discuss whether they fit our capabilities. I won't pretend I want to work with him, but maybe with the two of you together, some of your style will rub off on him."

"Valentine, I won't do anything to upset the relationship we have. If my son is to be a part of this, it will be my responsibility to make sure he acts and performs in a manner that will reflect favourably on our company. Let me give this some thought. Then, with your permission, I'll talk to him and see if he can muster any enthusiasm for working side by side with his father."

"I hope he realizes what an opportunity it would be. It's a pretty exotic business, and you'll be moving in pretty exotic circles. Good luck," I said, extending my hand.

"Always a pleasure," he replied, taking my hand and shaking it with his customary firmness.

"You did what?" Doreen said, shocked. I had wandered into her office and slumped down in a chair. It wasn't long before I was reciting the gist of my meeting with Warren.

"I don't know what made me ask, but ... when I heard Warren tell me about his disappointment with Trip and his regrets about how he had been raised I wondered what I could do to help him. I guess that's where it came from."

Doreen just sat and stared at me. Her face betrayed no emotion. If anything, she appeared to be forming a question.

"Are you sure about this?" she finally asked.

"No ... not at all. In the last few months, I've grown to really admire and appreciate 'Senior.' I don't know how wealthy he is, but he doesn't act like the kind of person I might have expected. I guess you saw that when you worked for him."

Doreen nodded. "I hate to say it, but he was as good to work for as you are," she said sheepishly.

After a silence, Doreen asked, "Can I suggest we sit on this for a while? If Trip was really upset with his father, then he may not want anything to do with the new venture. You didn't exactly welcome him yesterday. Why don't we wait him out?"

I smiled and nodded. "You're pretty savvy ... for a girl."

"Oh ... I never thought you'd be a male chauvinist pig." It was a shot, knowing full well mine was too.

"See ... you still have a lot to learn about me. I'm still damaged goods."

"So ... just think of me as your handy-dandy repair lady."

"I think of you as a lot more than that."

She stood and walked out from behind her desk and sat carefully in my lap.

"When are you going to move in with me?" I asked for the umpteenth time.

"I'm thinking about it ... really. You and I still have more to learn about each other, as you just said."

"I can't think of a better way to learn than by living together."

"Be patient, Val. I'm happier than I've been in a very long time. I'm almost afraid to take a risk right now. I'm just getting comfortable with you and me as it is."

"Okay. I know we've had this discussion before, but if there's anything you want to know about me, just ask. I promise, I won't hide anything. There aren't any skeletons in the closet."

"I believe that. It's me that has to get up the courage to open the closet. Just be patient, please."

"As long as I can still enjoy the benefits of our relationship, I'll do my best to be patient."

"Typical male," she snorted, slapping my shoulder. "All you ever think about is sex."

"Guilty as charged."

Monday, May 3rd, 10:15am

"Good morning, Valentine. Do you have a moment?"

"Yes, of course. What can I do for you?"

"I think my dilemma with my son has resolved itself. Last week, I proposed the father-son working relationship at the new venture and he promised to consider it. I was doubtful at the time that he would agree, but I had to at least offer it and give him the opportunity.

"He came to me this morning and announced that he had joined McMurtry-Fellows, a San Francisco investment firm. Apparently, he contacted a former fraternity chum and they discussed the opportunity over the past week. I was surprised since it would mean his starting at the bottom and working his way up.

"He seems to have taken a hard look at himself ... for the first time, I suspect. When he thought about it, he knew he was ill-equipped to step into a responsible management position. He also knew he didn't have the love of the old automobiles that I did. He decided it was time, as he put it, to 'grow up.'"

"That's quite something ... for him, Warren. I have a feeling he may be making a very good decision for himself."

"Yes ... I think you're right. He's enthusiastic, even though it's going to be a challenge for him. He's even talking about some night school courses that would help him along. I never thought I'd see the day, to be frank."

"It must be a big relief for you. I hope somewhere in there was a reconciliation."

"Yes. He knew, I think, that he had been aimless and self-absorbed for most of his life. I think our rather heated discussion must have shaken him quite thoroughly. I suspect we're going to get along much better now. He won't be living at home, but he won't be that far away. I have a feeling it's the best thing that could have happened."

"I'm glad. You don't need that kind of stress. He's your only offspring. Maybe when he gets settled and finds a nice woman, he'll produce some grandchildren for you."

"We'll see. One thing at a time, for now. Oh, by the way, I understand he and your ex-wife are no longer seeing each other. I don't know any more than that."

"I don't need to know any more. She part of my past, and I like the look of my future much more."

"Good for you, Valentine. Good for you."

Saturday, May 15th, 1:50pm

"There's still time to back out, you know."

"No way. Carolyn would kill me."

"When they get to that part about anyone having any objections, I could yell out something like, 'Don't do it, Paul. Don't do it.'"

"You do, and I'll kill you."

I clapped him on the shoulder and reassured him. "Just kidding, man. You two were made for each other. I'm just jealous you beat me to it."

"Why," he said, looking surprised. "I didn't know you were in love with Carolyn."

The pause was followed by laugh and a punch on my arm as Paul congratulated himself on slipping one by me.

"Gotcha! Seriously, though, have you popped the question to Doreen yet?"

"Nope. We're not there yet. She's still battling some past demons that I can't get her to talk about. When that comes out, maybe then we can get on with it. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying every minute I get to spend with her."

"Well, you've got a hell of an advantage over me. You get to see her every day, all day. What's it like?"

"It's been great. She's all business in the office and on the shop floor. The guys like and respect her. She's learned so much in the past year, and what she doesn't know or understand, she asks. Most of the time she asks the guys out in the shop. I think that really impresses them."

"Well, in a way, I envy you. Then again, in a couple of minutes, I get my wish. There are two anniversaries that I want to celebrate. The first is the day we met those two women at Sunnydale, and the second is today."

"Yeah. I'm with you on that. I've got June 20th marked on my calendar. I have a plan for that day."

"Anything you'd care to share?"

"Not yet. It'll depend on one or two things happening first."

It was at that point the usher appeared and led us into the church from the waiting room beside the altar. Paul was visibly nervous, and I was a little myself. When I saw Doreen walking slowly up the aisle with the other bridesmaids, I could feel my heart catch in my throat. She was so beautiful in her champagne colored dress. I remembered chuckling to myself when she told me what the bride and bridesmaids would wear. It brought back memories of New Years Eve.

"You look gorgeous," I whispered to her as she stood near. I got a quick kiss on the cheek as a thank you.

There wasn't anything remarkable about the ceremony. It was mercifully brief in the overly-warm church.

"I hope we're that happy when we get married," I said in a moment of thoughtless enthusiasm as we stood on the front steps.

Doreen turned to look at me in surprise, almost unable to speak.

"What? What did you say?"

There was no going back, I realized. "I said, I hope we're that happy when we get married."

"Is that supposed to be a proposal, Valentine David Keating?"

Oh, Oh. I had stepped in it this time. Think fast, big mouth.

"My dear, Doreen. I would never dream of being so informal when I asked for your hand in marriage. It was just an off-handed remark. Maybe just a wish that I said aloud instead of to myself."

She looked at me steadily for what seemed a very long time. At last, with the slightest of smiles, "Chicken!"

"Never. Don't you think I should ask your father's permission first? Give me his phone number and I'll call him this afternoon."

"No ... no ... don't do that. I was just teasing you."

"Now who's chicken?"

"Let's not go there ... please."

I knew the fun was over. "Okay. But the subject isn't closed."

She'd been holding my arm as we challenged each other. I felt her grip stiffen momentarily, then relax. The tension was broken ... for now.

Saturday, May 15th, 10:40pm

"I wasn't kidding, you know."

"About what?"

"Wanting to marry you."

"I know."

"What's it going to take for you to say yes?"

No answer.

"Are you unhappy with the sex?" I pressed.

"No ... no ... it's wonderful."

"Then what's it going to take?"

Silence. I waited. She had to tell me sooner or later.

"The truth. I've got to tell you the truth ... sooner or later."

"I'm not afraid of that. I know you well enough to know that it won't hurt and it won't change my feelings for you."

"How do you know that? You don't know me ... at least ... my past. I could be married already, or have three children, or be a serial killer. You don't really know me."

"I suppose all that is possible ... but I don't believe it. I'm in love with who you are now. I'm having a hard time understanding what this big secret of yours is. I don't think we'd have the kind of relationship we have if any of those things were true."

"Damn you, Val. You aren't going to quit this pushing me to tell you, are you?"

"I don't want to, but I'm trying to think of some way that I can make it easier for you."

"How?"

"Uhhm ... is there any legal reason you can't marry me?"

She didn't hesitate with her answer. "No."

"Do you have some kind of disease or physical problem that would prevent you from marrying me?"

"No."

"Is it a problem with your parents?"

This time there was a pause. "Partly."

"Explain."

"I can't. I mean ... I don't want to."

"Why?"

"It's very painful."

"If you told me, would the pain go away?"

"I don't know. Maybe."

"Aren't I worth the risk?"

That stopped her cold.

"Go on. Think about it. Am I worth the risk?"

I wasn't ready for the tears as she broke down, putting her head on my chest. I wrapped my arms around her naked back as we lay in my bed. I let the emotion take its course. I had my answer.

"I had an abortion," she finally whispered, still with her head on my chest. "I got pregnant and I had an abortion. I wasn't even finished high school. My mother was so angry ... she ... she ... disowned me. I had ruined the family reputation. She hasn't spoken to me since."

"Oh. Oh, Doreen, I'm so sorry. That must be a terrible hurt. But ... you told me you still see your father."

I felt her head nod as her sobs became intermittent.

"He was hurt, but he stood by me. I went to live with a girlfriend's family. They were very good to me. I stayed there for two years while I went to community college. Then, I knew it was time to go. I wanted to say goodbye to mother, but she wouldn't see me. Wouldn't even answer the phone. It hurt so much."

"So ... help me understand. Why wouldn't you want to marry me, now that I know?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.