Alif - Cover

Alif

Copyright© 2010 by Bradley Stoke

Chapter 26

Ana had never seen Binta in clothes before, and it made quite a pronounced difference. Dressed in the kind of clothes she had worn when she had been arrested, she looked like just an ordinary girl from the provinces. She was sitting on the sofa in Ana's Jadid flat, her legs crossed, thumbing through a newspaper. It was Ana who looked most like a prostitute in the work clothes she hadn't bothered to change after a day in the office mostly spent in anxious anticipation of this very moment. She had earlier lent Binta a spare key to her flat, who, after being released from the Brothel, made her way there across the city, while Ana was pretending that this day was really no different from any other, even though it was the day for which she'd been most longing for the last two months.

The day had been meticulously planned ever since she received a phone call during work from a man she'd never spoken to before who greeted her with considerable familiarity and asked if he could see her after having met her at Kerhala's party. Ana hadn't been to any parties recently, or indeed at all in her time at Blad, but she knew from the coded reference that this could only be the long awaited contact from the Agdal Embassy. The man arranged to meet Ana at a café in the Honey district, and elaborated no further. Ana was impatient to know at last the outcome of her application, but prudently asked no compromising questions.

When she arrived at the café at the due time there was no man waiting for her and no man arrived. Instead, a tall woman with black curly shoulder-length hair and a summer dress approached her, asked her name and introduced herself as Kerhala. Ana was then guided to a table hidden behind a post inside the café, and sat opposite the woman, facing the kitchen and hidden from the street. The woman then informed her that she was an employee of the Agdal Embassy, as Ana had already surmised, that her real name was not really Kerhala and that Ana's application had been successful. What was now required of her were passport photographs of herself and Binta to be sent to the Agdal Embassy as anonymously as possible. The two girls would be issued with Agdal passports which they would need to exit the country. These would be presented to them just before their departure. To receive them, Ana and Binta would be met at a certain café not far from the border with Agdal on the day after Binta's release from the Brothel. Kerhala then went on to explain to Ana exactly what was required of the two conspirators to secure their elopement.

The cost of this troubled Ana as she looked around her flat, at the posters on the wall and the television she had spent so many hours watching. All this was to be abandoned. All that would be salvaged was only what she and Binta could get into her suitcases, and most of that was clothing. She had cashed as much as she could from the bank, and everything else she'd acquired was to be lost forever. Nobody was warned of their departure - not even their closest friends, and certainly not Mr Madir. Ana was not to give notice that she would leave and nobody was to know that Binta would ever see Ana on leaving the Brothel. She had attended work on this, her last day, as on every other day, accepting every humiliation the Director visited on her with exactly the same resignation as on any other day, and the following day not bother to call in sick until quite late. Nobody's suspicions should be prematurely aroused.

She had also been required to keep her contact with Binta to the bare minimum, and they were instructed never to use any intermediaries, however apparently trustworthy. This was to protect their friends in the inevitable interrogations which would follow when it was discovered that Ana had absconded. Those few contacts Ana had with Binta were kept as brief as possible, and their main purpose was to arrange where they should meet, which was why Ana had presented her with a key to her flat. The only other thing required from Binta was a passport photograph, which fortunately Ana was able to obtain from a copy of the standard advertising literature for prospective clients of Binta's services. She was also advised to give no impression that she and Binta were at all likely to meet on the day of Binta's release.

Ana put down her handbag and raced over to Binta who looked up at her with a broad smile. "You're free!" she exclaimed. "Free!"

Binta grinned, opening her arms to embrace Ana. "Yes I am! At last! After all these years. I'll never have to make love to a man ever again."

The two lovers kissed passionately, happy in the knowledge that there was no one to interrupt them, and indeed for the first time since before Ana's fateful evening at Bezaffa's home. Their arms locked around one another and Ana felt the familiar warmth of Binta's body through the plain cotton blouse and skirt she wore over her hidden flesh.

"You have a very nice flat, Ana," remarked Binta. "I didn't know people ever lived with so much space. So much of it! And all yours."

"Not for much longer," mused Ana sadly, looking around her. "I'll miss it! I'll have to leave behind almost everything. I'll never see it again. I'll never see the bedroom, the shower, the television, the kitchen, ever again. But it'll be all I'll regret leaving. And you? You found the flat alright?"

"It wasn't easy. I didn't realise how big a city could be. All I'd ever seen of Blad was what I saw from the Brothel. I didn't know how far it spread out. There's so much of it! I was really disorientated. I could walk any way I wanted, but I just didn't know where to go."

"Did you catch a bus?"

"A bus? No, I didn't know what to do. I didn't know where any of the buses went. I just walked. It was miles! And the pavements are so hard. My feet are just a mess of blisters! But after being in the Brothel for so long and not being able to walk any distance, walking was really enjoyable, I can tell you."

"How did you find Jadid?"

"I just asked people. And looked at street maps. I didn't know it was so far from the Brothel. And the streets all look the same! I had your map, the one you drew me. That helped a bit when I actually arrived in Jadid. When I found the post office you told me about, and saw places with names like The Jadid Video Arcade and The Jadid Community Centre, I knew I was in the right place. It wasn't difficult then to find your block of flats. It was a horrid climb up all those steps!"

"Did anyone see you come in?"

"I remembered what you said. There was that concierge at the door. I told him I was a friend of Zuja's. That was the name you said, wasn't it?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.