Alif
Chapter 16

Copyright© 2010 by Bradley Stoke

Ana was escorted to an austere room in which only a portrait of President Marmeluke and a crucifix decorated the bare walls. The only furniture was a wide table with a chair on either side. The nun beckoned her to sit on one of the chairs and left her alone. Moments later, the door opened and Mezyana entered wearing a long dark gown and a hood over her head. She smiled at Ana, and sat wordlessly on the chair opposite her. She pulled back her hood and revealed a thin freckled face and a head that was totally shaved.

"Good morning, Ana," Mezyana said, looking at her inquisitively. "You're a friend of Binta's, I gather, come to see how I am. Is that right, or have I been misinformed?"

"No, that's quite right. Binta hasn't seen or heard from you, and she's interested in your welfare."

"So, my letters to her have been intercepted and she's not received them!" sighed Mezyana. "I thought it would have been considered sufficient punishment imprisoning us like this. Has she written to me?"

"I don't know," Ana admitted. "She hasn't told me."

"And you must work in the Brothel too, otherwise you wouldn't have got to know her. How is she? Is she well?"

"Very well. She doesn't enjoy working at the Brothel, though. She loathes it. She detests her clients. She despises the work she has to do. And she hates not being allowed to leave."

"I can't say that surprises me. What surprises me more is that she opted for it. She could have gone to prison. I had wondered whether it was because she liked sex so much and she thought she'd enjoy having more of it. Why did she choose the Brothel?"

"It was either that or prison. And she heard that prison was very unpleasant."

"So having sex with strange men every day is somehow better. I really don't understand Binta. She so often said she would never contemplate it. In fact, she told me many times that she would never dream of making love to anyone other than me. She's so fickle! She just couldn't wait till after her sentence, I suppose." Mezyana looked quite bitter. She glanced down at the crucifix dangling over the front of her gown, and then looked up at Ana. "I daresay that she's not quite forgotten me, if she's chosen to send her new girlfriend to see me. I take it you are her girlfriend? And by that I do mean girlfriend as the word might be used in a love affair."

"I am," admitted Ana, blushing and feeling guilty. "I'm very much in love with her."

Mezyana steadily examined Ana's thin face, and smiled reluctantly. "I suppose she could have found worse than you. So much for her undying and eternal love for me. At least in God I have found someone who will never be so fickle. Are you a prostitute like her?"

"No, not at all. I work as a secretary."

Mezyana frowned slightly disbelievingly. "A secretary? So, you're not a whore. That's something I suppose. I was very worried that she would have a love affair with someone stained by frequent loveless sex. As she must be herself. It pains me to think that she is being ... that strange men - and so many of them - are ... that her precious body is daily violated in such a gross and immoral way. A secretary you say? At the Brothel?"

"Yes, I work in the Director's office."

"And you're not a prostitute at all? Not even for some of the time?"

"No, never! Never! I wouldn't dream of ... I just couldn't ... It's such a horrid idea!"

"But you still make love to Binta, don't you? Like I did for so many years. Loving her. And she loving you, I suppose. I so hoped that she would stay faithful. I so wanted her to love me forever. To be there when I finish my sentence."

"She says she still loves you," Ana protested.

"So much so that she will also love you!" Mezyana sighed bitterly. She smiled bravely at Ana. "Well, it's not your fault. Binta isn't the sort of girl who'd be content to wait. She always wanted more from the here and now. She'll always opt for ephemeral distractions. Like Azhnia. But I must forgive her, I suppose, however much I still long for her, and however much faith I invested in her love for me. The Lord God teaches us to forgive all sinners. And I mustn't blame you. She is beautiful and it's inevitable that another person should fall in love with her. And seduce her."

"I didn't seduce her!" Ana protested.

Mezyana steadily explored Ana's face. The pale freckles round her nose wrinkled slightly as she screwed up her face in the pain of the implications of Ana's reply. "So, if you didn't seduce her, she must have seduced you. Have you ever had a relationship with a woman before?"

"No, not at all. Nor with a man."

Mezyana nodded her head and bit her lower lip with her teeth. "You poor girl. It's you who are most wronged by this, not my beloved Binta. I should have realised, of course. I knew Binta so well. Or so I thought. She got to know you and eventually, when she'd established that you were a lesbian ... well, perhaps not a lesbian, but someone attracted to women like her - and like me, despite my service to the Lord, - ... she simply extended her friendship from the platonic to the physical. Is that so?"

Ana nodded unhappily. She and Mezyana stared at each other. Ana felt very uncomfortable. She hadn't known what to expect from meeting Binta's former lover, but she'd somehow hoped for some kind of support. She was in desperate need for some endorsement, or encouragement, or for someone to say that, yes, her love for Binta was good and wholesome. Someone to make her feel that her love wasn't a perversion and was as genuine and tender as she felt it to be. A small tear welled up in her eye and trickled slowly out of its corner.

"I'm so in love with Binta! She's all I live for! She's all I want! She fills my every waking thought. I love her so much it hurts to be parted for just a moment."

Mezyana smiled sympathetically. "So perhaps you can understand how I feel, Ana. But I mustn't berate you. The Lord beseeches us to forgive and to understand. And that I must do. But please forgive me for resenting you for taking the only love for me - the only love of mine not dedicated to the Lord and my family - away from me, and leaving me here bereft of ... abandoned by Binta." She lowered her head, overcome by the intensity of her own love.

There was an uneasy silence between the two of them. Mezyana bent her head down to study the table and ran a hand over the grey stubble of her scalp. Ana felt that her meeting was a disaster: but what did she expect? While time had moved on for Binta, it had clearly frozen for Mezyana, who still thought in terms of the love she and Binta had shared before their arrest.

"What's it like living in the Convent?" Ana asked after a while, more to break the tension than from a genuine desire to find out.

"The Convent?" Mezyana repeated, frowning. "What is it like for me living here? Amongst all these holy women with shaven heads who think I am a sinner to be more pitied than loved, and to be avoided at all costs lest I should rape or molest them. In the shadow of these dark forbidding walls and no license to wander the streets of Blad like my sinless sisters. In the worship and adulation of the Lord God Our Father. It's incredibly boring, that's what it is!"

"Do you hate living here like Binta hates working at the Brothel?"

"You misunderstand me. I don't hate living here at all - even if it is lonely and monotonous. I feel that it is duty to the Lord that I am serving by circumstance rather than choice. It is not the way I would like to have served the Lord, but I am happy to do so. It is undoubtedly preferable to prison. And service in the Brothel is just an option I would not contemplate."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.