Jesse and Marie and the Wind
Chapter 19: Busy Holidays

Copyright© 2010 by wordytom

Billy came out while Jesse was still separating the milk. "I couldn't find anybody worth a damn. There were a couple of winos passing through who stopped for a glass at Ed's and that's it."

Jesse nodded. "Billy, from what Marie tells me I may have put the ranch in jeopardy. She is going to be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. We are going to be away off and on for the next few months. So let's feed extra heavy and less often. That will make it a little easier on you. There should be a break in the weather If the Chinook comes on time this year."

"You plan on using the temporary thaw to get extra hay out to the stock?" Billy asked.

"Yup. Also I am the dumbest of the dumb. There are all those protected areas those other cows use on the new ranch. Turn our animals out with them and slaughter any breeding bull over there unless he shows good conformation."

"I'll sell the animal to Henri and he can work up a bunch of new dishes featuring tough beef. I want my own bull to do the breeding over there unless the other one looks better. That place has been neglected. If the government doesn't get off its butt, I'm going to tell them I want the reward in cash and for them to keep the damned place."

Billy did not look happy at the prospect of losing his job as foreman of the new ranch before he ever got a chance to be one. "Whatever you say, Jesse."

"You finish the chores out here. I have a phone call to make." Once outside the barn Jesse bent his head into the wind and hurried into the house.

"Hon, call the Denver FBI and get Orville on the phone. I bet you can have all the computers you want out here by some time tomorrow."

He looked at her still naked body. "Better get dressed, Billy will be coming in with Annie and April."

"Merry Christmas, my darling. I guess that means no pink snake or moose bellows until this evening." She smiled through her disappointment. "You know I so love those exotic dishes and wild animal calls."

She handed him the still ringing phone. When someone answered he said, "Give me Orville."

He recognized the brittle voice of the receptionist in the Denver office. "Special Agent Stroud is not available over the holidays. Special Agent John Scott is accepting all calls if he is available."

"Miss Frosty Butt," Jesse started, "I can promise you your choice of new work addresses, either Outhouse, Oklahoma or Paris, Texas. Get Stroud right now or start packing. Your choice."

Seconds later: "Stroud," a tired voice answered on the other end of the call. "This better be important, Jesse."

"Brandywine is nothing more than another part of the artichoke. They are enforcement and security. Remember the spin off companies of Halliburton? I have a hunch Brandywine started the same way and grew into something more.

"I have been hit with an IRS audit."

"So? Jesse, everyone gets audited some time or other. There is nothing I can do about that. The IRS is not a part of the FBI."

"Hell, even a dumb old country boy like me knows that. However the timing is all wrong. Someone sicced the IRS on us. That had to be someone from your office and that someone has to be a person who is looking around for anything to curry favor with her new bosses."

Jesse's voice took on a hard edge as he asked, "Isn't that right Frosty Butt?" He heard a gasp.

"Are you listening in on this conversation? By Harry..."

Jesse interrupted, "You better get someone to your office right now. She is getting ready to bolt."

"I'll call you right back," Stroud said in a harsh voice. "Are you at home?"

"Yeah. Marie is naked and waiting for me to celebrate Christmas the old fashioned way. We'll wait for your call." Stroud gave a chuckle and disconnected.

"Jesse," she protested. Then she came across the room and folded her naked body into his arms. "I feel so safe here," she whispered.

Jesse gave a mighty sigh. "Better get dressed, Hon. We are going to have guests. I would say starting right now."

She heard the sound of boots stomping on the front porch. "Oh!" she squealed and ran for the bedroom.

"Come in, Billy," Jesse called.

Billy brushed the loose snow off his shoulders, entered the living room and shut the door behind him. "Boss, we're going into town for a while and visit Annie's sister. I'll run back out for the milking and then head back in for the party. Can you do the chores in the morning? I want to spend the night in town."

"Sure, no problem. Also get hold of Ed if he's open today and check who he knows that needs work. We just got a reprieve on the new place. Tomorrow we'll take a rough tally of the stock over there. I'm going to jump the gun a few days and get things going before the paperwork gets signed, sealed and delivered."

"I guess someone brought you some good news, huh?"

"Yeah, the best. He just doesn't know it yet." Jesse thought of the implications that Stroud had a leak in his office.

He thought a moment and added, "We'll need three more good hands for certain. You go and enjoy yourselves."

Marie came out fully dressed, "Let's go, I'm getting antsy now."

They put on their cold weather gear and headed out the door. In minutes Jesse and Marie were headed out cross-country on the red snowmobile. Jesse carried his side arm as a precaution, not because he anticipated trouble. Marie hung onto Jesse as they created a new trail. He detoured past the bunched cattle he boarded for the Texas people.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.