El of a Thing - Cover

El of a Thing

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 13

THURSDAY 10:30 A. M.
Lake's Edge Hold, Elfrealm, Lake's Edge

Flexing his arms and legs Elnore mused over the Elder Physician's prediction, 'Looks like he hit it dead center with his time frame. Three days indeed. The best part of this rapid recovery is that there will be no need of physical therapy.'

He then contacted Mike and made certain that all the elements were ready for their visit to Elfrealm Vankell. 'That really was careless of my Cousins, broadcasting the name of their home Realm like that. Only the deaf and dead among us could not have heard them.' The grim humor continued with, 'I just can't imagine what the opening key to their portal might be. Perhaps something along the lines of, 'A friend of Elfrealm Vankell, draws near'? Hum, which reminds me. We need to get some better security measures installed ourselves. Maybe that IFF thing Mike mentioned would do the trick. We'll have to see about that when we return from this excursion.'


THURSDAY 10:48 A. M.
News Stand, Chicago, IL

Mike was just itching to go. After having practiced all the old forms and ritual phrases until he was blue-in-the-face. 'Guess school never does let out.' He thought with a touch of humor. Then turning his thoughts to the coming encounter, a grim chuckle burst out along with, 'Just wait till I apply the board of education to the seat of learning. Are those guys ever in for a huge surprise.'

As these thoughts came to a close the last of the party arrived. Traveling in this group were: Elnore, Galden, Puff and Rick. The banner Elnore carried bore the three symbols parley: The Flaran of Calm, The Horn of Announcement and The Sword of Justice. Elnore had assured Mike that these would be universally known by even the Darkest of his Cousins and honored. Upon hearing this Mike had nodded agreement, but was still going to keep his shield in readiness. Considering the stories he had heard about the 'Dark Elven', there was no way he was going to trust them any farther than he could spit.

Passing through the Nexus the group arrived at the portal to Vankell. Elnore pausing, said, "Friends, here is where we find out if my Cousins have learned anything at all over the years." He then thought the key phrase and the portal opened.

Rick and Mike glanced at each other and while Rick's eyebrow rose in question; Mike's lips silently mouthed, "Told you so, no creativity at all." Then turning to Elnore Mike said, "My Lord, allow Rick and I to proceed you. Just in case."

"Very well Michael, but take the banner with you so that all who see it will know your intent." Elnore replied.

Accepting the banner, Mike and Rick both powered shields and stepped through. Before them lay a land reeking from abuse. Everywhere the eye looked was blasted Heath and spindly tree things. Running through this nightmare was a stagnant scum covered stream, adding it's miasma of methane to the general 'outhouse' stench. Rick blurted out, "God, what a dump!"

Mike nodded in agreement with this assessment, saying, "Maybe it's just a personality quirk. The other Realms I've been to tend to be a reflection of the current Lord's attitudes. Either this guy is not married, or has just plain old given up on housekeeping." Then doing a quick passive scan, Mike added, "Don't look now, but we have company." He also tight beamed to Rick, 'Can you believe these idiots think they are hidden?'

Rick sent back, while stepping back through the portal, 'Man, this just gets sadder by the second. Hang on and I'll let the crew know it's OK to come through.'

Two minutes after this the portal blossomed to life again and the entire group stepped through. Upon seeing the landscape for the first time, Elnore let out a low groan while whispering, "Oh, my Cousins, what has overcome you?" Then addressing the group Elonre said, "Come friends, let us away to this Realm's hold, 'Sooner started, sooner done', as my Grandsire used to say." He then sent a tight beam to Michael, asking, 'Can you change the Key?'

Turning in place, Mike deep scanned the gate and then nodded while a mischievous grin spread across his face. At this Elnore's eyebrow rose in question and was answered by a chuckle plus the new key over the tight beam. The initial reactions to the new key were a mixed bag, as Puff and Galden just looked confused, Elnore snorted and Rick burst out laughing.

Mike then said, "Well after all, they wanted to play 'Haunted House'. I just gave them an appropriate doorbell."

Rick shot back, "Yeah, but Dante is so over-the-top."

"Hey, it could have been the 'Adam's Family' theme song. That was my second choice." Mike replied.

The group then set off for Hold Vail Con-Ault trailing chuckles in their wake.


THURSDAY 11:03 A. M

Hold Vail Con-Ault, Elfrealm Vankell

As Kalish sat judging the 'Pre-Hunt' tourney, something he had never expected to feel lanced through his mind. The Portal had just been opened, from 'outside'! 'What in the worlds could this be?' He thought.

Then scanning the area he caught sight of two human males with an Elven Parley Banner. Watching in brooding silence he then observed one of these 'Men' return through the portal. Only to return less than three minutes later, leading one of the 'Weak Cousins' riding a steed, followed by a Dwarven servant and then trailed by something he had never expected in his long life to see ... a Blue Dragon!

Under a minute later, the third and greatest shock so far, pierced his mind. The Portal had disappeared as if it had never existed. Scanning as deeply as possible, he could find no trace that it had ever been. At this event, two reactions warred for dominance: fear that all he knew was collapsing, battled with rage directed at the House Lentel scions. 'The 'Wall-Of-Shame' shall have new skins hanging from it when they come within my grasp again.' Ran his dark thought.

Then contacting his Guard Captain he ordered observation of this group, but no direct action, as they traveled under the 'Banner'. He then rose and addressed the assembled host, saying, "My Lords and Ladies, today marks a historic occasion. We are about to be visited by the first delegation from our Cousins in living memory. Let us prepare a suitable welcome for them. Vanguard, attend me at the Hold."

While traveling back to Hold Vail Con-Ault, he thought, 'Always turn it to your advantage, always. There is no other way to survive in this place.'


THURSDAY 11:45 A. M

Outside Hold Vail Con-Ault

As the group approached what Elnore had identified as the Hold of this Realm, a final groan rose from Michael, "Are you kidding me? An Underhill barrow? How old, are these folk?"

Elnore responded with, "Older than your racial memories Michael. Now allow me to follow the ancient forms so we can keep this bloodless, for now." As he said this, Elnore dismounted and approached the Hold's oaken doors. Then detaching his sword with scabbard. He reversed his grip and using the pommel, gave three sharp raps on the door. While shouting in the Elven tongue, "Under Banner, I cry open. My honor is insulted and I cry Parley Challenge."

At this command phrase a rumble could be heard from inside the barrow as the crossbar was retracted. The doors began to separate and retract, while a screech like a Banshee's wail rose from the hinges. Mike glanced at Rick with a raised eyebrow, and sent, 'Great theater, huh?'

Rick just grinned back.

When the doors had finished their ponderous journey. A herald stepped out announcing, "Know all. Honor shall be done in this place." Turning to face Elnore, he said, 'My Lord, this way if you would. Lord Kalish, along with his vassals, awaits your company in the throne room."

As the group was led toward their destination, Elnore could feel Michael's frustration building, and sent, 'Peace, Michael. We must stay within the framework if we are to have any chance of rescuing my Cousins from their folly.'

'I sure hope you're seeing something I'm not. Because I've got to tell you, so far, I'm mighty unimpressed. I will hold on to my anger though, because I don't want you distracted when you need to focus on 'The Game'.' Mike returned, then added silently to himself, 'But all it will take is just one of these peacocks stepping out of line, and I WILL wipe the floor with them!'

When they were escorted into the 'throne room', Mike's first impression was summed up by, 'Wow! The Field Museum Reptile Exhibit has fewer Vipers than this place!' Glancing around the room, he could sense the interconnecting layers of favors given and retracted. This triggered a wry single thought, 'Hum, reminds me of a political system I once broke the crap out of.'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.