El of a Thing
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

FRIDAY 8:00 A. M.
Federal Building, Chicago, IL

Alan Simons hated surprises. Perhaps this was because of the twenty nine years he had spent working his way up the FBI chain of command, the last nine of which he'd been in charge of his own division. Then again, it could have just been his nature. In his capacity as the 'FBI Bureau Chief, Chicago Division', he had just been handed a whopper.

The Maldanado Family was jumping ship ... and only one whisper of this ongoing event had been breathed. Alan should know. He'd had his best analysts go back over the last thirty six hours of all Intel sources. Everything, from wiretaps to street snitch rumors, had been run through the analyses meat grinder, by no less than four double blind teams. Every one of the them had come up empty.

The only hint of what was happening at the 'street level', was a report submitted by 'deep cover three'. This agent had been placed on the borders of the Maldanado organization in the role of a 'Wise Guy'. His report stated that the entire 'Family' was in the process of pulling up stakes ... and scattering to the four corners of the globe. Then the report degenerated into an out and out 'Fairytale'.

'Magicians? Dragons? What in the name of Heaven was going on? If only we really had an 'X-File' division. It would sure come in handy about now, ' Simon's sour thoughts ran.

Simons finally decided that he would put Agents Collins and Altman on this. They had partnered for five years now ... and consistently came back with the 'goods' where all others failed. Keying his intercom, he set in motion this sea change in their lives.


Dan Collins and Lisa Altman were at that moment, playing 'The Yuppie Couple'. The operation they were involved with demanded direct street level surveillance ... and they were the best in the business at this role. From one shop window to the next they strolled, never breaking character and all the while keeping their quarry in sight. At exactly 8:13 both agents earpieces gave 'tone'. The message to return to 'Mobile Base One' followed ... and caused both to almost break character. But, they were both professionals and the brief sub-vocal "Acknowledged" from Collins, was the only glitch in their performance.

Entering the Con-Ed van parked in an alley. They were greeted with a faxed copy of their new marching orders. They had been reassigned - to canvass and then follow up with surveillance in the area around W. Van Buren and Wabash Avenue - beginning immediately. Briefing packets were already waiting for them at the Fed Building. These new orders had originated from the 'Grand Poo-Bah' himself, 'Alan Simons, Bureau Chief, Chicago Division'.

"What the hell?" Muttered Collins.

Altman just glanced at him and shrugged, thinking, 'Maybe I'll get to play an actual Agent this time, instead of an accessory'.


FRIDAY 8:30 A. M.
City Hall, Chicago, IL / Senate Chambers, Springfield, IL

'The after party had been glorious, ' Alice thought, 'and who knew Rick could dance like that.'

He'd finally broken down and confessed to the five years of 'Ballroom' lessons his mother had forced on him. 'My very own 'twinkle toes', how much better can this get?' Her thoughts ran on, coupled with a laugh.

Then her mind shifted to the beehive she had walked into at work this morning. 'What in the world is going on here? Whatever it is, it's creating even more turmoil than that 'Silvis' fiasco, six months back. But this was so 'hush-hush' that the only information sources, were at the water coolers ... and whispers in the halls.'

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.