Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 34

Polly came pedalling round as soon as she finished work. Garry was in his room and she rushed up there to hear his news. It took them several minutes to get round to that but when they did all she could do was stare at him in wonderment and joy. Garry's heart sang. Finally she spoke.

"That's beyond all our hopes. Oh, Garry, it's wonderful. I knew they liked you a lot as well as knowing you were a good footballer but this is oh ... oh..."

She flung her arms round him and held him as tightly as she could.

"Polly darling," said Garry as he prised her off him. "I don't think we should hang about any longer. I think we should find a house and get married as soon as we can."

"Yes! Yes!" She twined herself round him again. Suddenly she pushed herself back a bit and looked up at him.

"Why have you suddenly made up your mind?" she asked.

"Two things really apart from just the two of us being together. First we can now afford to again but more importantly, and it's been creeping up on me, we're sponging on Becca and Uncle Steven. They don't even charge me rent and they buy all the food and that includes you now, my sweet."

Polly nodded. "They've hardly had any time on their own since they got married either, have they? First it was Mary and then you and now me here nearly all the time."

"So we need to get going. I'll ring round three or four agents in the morning and get them to send us the blurbs on what they've got. What size do you think we ought to go for?"

"I'd like to have four bedrooms and a bit of garden but we may only be able afford three."

"I'll get them to send both."

They talked about the wedding in vague terms.

"Apart from the girls, the Witherspoons, the Edwards and the Grants there's no one really for me to invite," Polly said wistfully.

"I don't know. What about Mrs Yates, Mrs Olney and Mr Wainwright?"

Polly nodded.

"There's also that nice Hardacre couple."

Polly giggled.

Polly left after supper. "Come round to me tomorrow," she said. "Give Becca and Uncle Steven a break."

Garry rang the estate agents as planned and they all responded by return of post. They decided that they could afford a four-bedroomed house and picked three to look at on Saturday morning. Steven offered to drive them.

They found one about half a mile from Becca and Steven. It had a garage and about half an acre of garden. It was in a quiet road. They were delighted with it. The carpets were in good order but Polly wanted to change some of the colours and get new curtains. Inevitably the Damsels volunteered to come in in the evenings and do the redecoration. They also gave the place a thorough cleaning while they were at it. Hilary Grant worked her magic with furniture once again.

They turned their attention towards the wedding. Neither wanted to wait until the warmer weather in the spring and they chose a Friday in mid-February. They did not have it on a Saturday because none of Garry's United friends would have been able to come. As it was, Eric Kimmering sucked his teeth before smiling widely. Garry plucked up courage and invited now Sir Alf Ramsey and his wife. He and Polly were thrilled when they accepted.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.