Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 17

Becca's and Steven's visit to The Moat was special to both of them. Whereas last year Steven had had to restrain himself and Becca was trying to break that restraint down this year they were both free to show each other their love. Becca's new dress took his breath away she looked so beautiful: not just beautiful but, to Steven at any rate, devastatingly attractive. They had a delicious meal, talked, laughed and flirted with each other. On the dance floor during the slow numbers there was not a chink of light between them but they did not just rock with the music they danced properly and attracted many appreciative looks. There was silence in the car on the way home as each savoured the evening. There was silence too as Steven closed the front door and they fell into each other's arms and kissed with all the power of their love. There was silence when Steven carried her upstairs, undressed her and laid her on the bed. It was only then that either spoke.

"Thank you, my darling, for a very special evening," Becca said softly. "I love you so much it hurts."

"Same here. I feel so proud to have you as my wife too."

The gentle kiss he gave her developed into a passionate one and his hands began to rove. His lips followed them. Becca began to move under his touch. When at last he entered her she came quietly and they both lay still for a while before he started to move. When they both climaxed together it was more with sighs of deep contentment than the sounds of lust and triumph.

After that, life returned to normal, not that it was not busy. Becca was able to paint as well as visiting Garry who was practising his football again although still not playing in games. He was assiduous in his physiotherapy. Becca learnt that Garry's fifteenth birthday would be on 15th April and that Polly's fourteenth would be on 12th June. She planned to hold parties for both of them.

Steven, as promised, quietly investigated Nicky's father. He was glad that Nicky was out of his influence. Mr Naismith was a bricklayer by trade. He was large, loud and uncouth. He consumed a great deal of beer. He had a number of convictions for being drunk and disorderly and for petty theft. His wife had only married him because she had become pregnant with Nicky. She worked in a wool factory and was known for bad time-keeping and absenteeism. Steven was surprised that she had kept her job until he also discovered that she was her line manager's mistress. It was clear that the only reason that Nicky was missed was that she was the family cook. When he told Becca she shuddered.

"Poor girl," she said. "At least he doesn't seem to have abused her."

"I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't knock her about a bit when he was tight or hung over," replied Steven.

"Ugh!"

By mid-March Garry was playing football properly again. Becca was delighted that he had started to respond to praise from his team-mates and the touchline. He was coming off the field with the rest of the side and Polly was always there to meet him.

Steven contacted Will Barnes, the United coach, and asked him to come and watch Garry play. He was impressed, talked to him afterwards and offered him an apprenticeship from 1st May. Garry was required to attend training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from six until eight and Saturdays from midday until five. He would be paid seven and six an hour (37½ p). Garry, having been a bit gruff initially, accepted with alacrity and a huge smile. Polly was unable to contain herself, leapt into his arms and gave him a smacking kiss to cheers and jeers from the other children. Garry was so embarrassed he did not know where to put himself. Becca and Steven congratulated him rather more restrainedly. She told him to go and change and meet her in the hall in twenty minutes.

She turned to Will Barnes. "Thank you," she said. "You probably don't realise how important what you have just done is. Obviously Garry is an orphan but, in addition, he had a horrid upbringing previously. We have spent the last four months pulling him out of his shell. The opportunity you have offered him is going to be a huge boost to his self-confidence. I'd be very grateful if you would come and meet Mrs Yates, the Principal, and tell her what will be happening."

Will Barnes smiled warmly at her. "I'd be delighted," he said. "I've heard of you and your Damsels and what you've been doing here. Young Garry is obviously a project very close to your heart."

Becca nodded but said nothing just smiled. Steven's pride would not let her get away with just that.

"She responded to an appeal from Mrs Yates after psychiatrists had failed to come up with anything. What she's achieved in these past four months is staggering, Will."

"Uncle Steven!" she hissed.

He smiled unrepentantly at her. "I'm just very, very proud of you, darling," he said.

"Well you might be," said Will. "One day I'd like to hear the full story."

Becca was pink with embarrassment and could only shake her head. Steven put an arm round her shoulders.

"Come on, darling. Take us to meet Edna."

They walked back to the house and Becca knocked on Edna's door. She was welcomed as warmly as ever.

"Edna, you've met my husband, Steven, but I'd like you to meet Mr Will Barnes who is one of United's coaches. He's invited Garry to become an apprentice in May."

Edna held out her hand. "I'm delighted to meet you, Mr Barnes, and even more so for this offer. It's very exciting and will do Garry no end of good. Tell me what it involves. Please sit down, all of you."

Will outlined the training programme again. "We will provide everything he needs plus a meal after each session. All he has to do is get himself there and back."

"That shouldn't be a problem. He can get the bus."

"Mrs Yates, I suspect that the home is not rolling in money."

Edna smiled ruefully. "No," she said. "Not exactly."

"If you would let me know what the return fare is once Garry starts with us I reckon I can persuade the club to pay for his bus fares. Although we pay the apprentices I'm pretty sure that their parents foot the bus fare"

"Thank you, Mr Barnes, that is a very kind offer and much appreciated."

"Good. Well, I must be on my way or I'll be late for training. Nice to have met you, Mrs Yates, and we look forward to seeing Garry."

As they were all leaving, Becca turned to Edna. "I've got Garry waiting outside. Would you see him and," she grinned, "his shadow."

"You bet I will, my dear."

Sure enough Garry and Polly were in the hall. Will Barnes went over to them.

"Goodbye for now, Garry," he said holding out his hand. "I look forward to seeing you for the first training session in May."

Garry shook his hand. "I'll be there, sir, and thank you very, very much."

Will smiled at him and turned to Polly. "And you, young lady, make sure he keeps up with his physio and doesn't do anything stupid."

Polly's eyes shone with pride. "I will, sir," she said.

"Goodbye, Becca. I look forward to seeing you again soon."

"Goodbye, Will, and thank you so much."

Will smiled warmly at her and turning to Steven shook his hand. "Goodbye, my friend, and take very good care of that jewel of a wife."

"I promise," smiled Steven, "and many, many thanks."

With a wave Will left. Becca turned to Garry.

"Right, Terry Venables," she said mock-sternly. "The Principal wishes to see you."

Garry grinned delightedly.

"Can I come too," asked Polly.

"Yes, love. Come on."

Steven said he'd wait outside.

Edna looked at Garry with a big smile. "Well done, Garry!" she exclaimed and hugged him. "Aren't you excited?"

Garry, overcome with emotion, could only nod.

"Well I certainly am and I'm very proud of you too. I think you're probably the first boy ever from here to be asked to join United. Aren't you proud too, Polly?"

Polly nodded vigorously. "Yes, Mrs Yates, and very excited too."

"Well, you can guess who was responsible for getting Mr Barnes to come and watch you, can't you, Garry?"

Garry looked at Becca adoringly. "Yes, Mrs Yates."

Becca shook her head. "My cousin, Mary, was the first to mention the United apprentice scheme. She remembered from the youth club that a number of the boys there did it and then my husband said that he knew Mr Barnes and would ask him to come and watch you. They're the ones you should be thanking."

"But I bet it was you got them thinking," said Polly.

"Quite right," said Edna.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.