Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 16

It took ten minutes for Becca and Kim to bicycle to where Jane's team was working. They both clocked in with her. Kim went off to start work and talk to Penny and Anita. Becca asked Jane if she could borrow the van for a couple of hours. She did not explain why. Word would soon get round the girls and she did not want to keep Nicky waiting. She also borrowed the house keys from Anita.

Becca was home again as promised within half an hour and found Steven and Nicky chatting happily at the kitchen table.

"Has Nicky told you her story?" Becca asked Steven.

"Yes. Not a very happy one."

"No and you know what we're about to do now."

"Yes. There could be repercussions but if Nicky's right her parents will do nothing."

"That's what I thought. Darling, when I get back could I borrow the car this afternoon. I'm afraid lunch will be a little late."

"Don't worry and yes you can."

Becca gave him a peck on the lips. "Thanks, darling. Come on, Nicky. We need to get cracking."

Nicky directed her to her house and they let themselves in. There was no one there. Becca wrinkled her nose at the stale smell and the general untidiness.

"It's a pigsty," said Nicky.

She led the way to her room which was spotless and tidy. She took her dressing gown off the back of the door and laid it open on the bed. She placed the few clothes she had on it. She went to the bathroom and collected her toothbrush and toothpaste which she added to the pile.

"What about a towel?" asked Becca.

"I don't want to take anything that's not my own."

"OK, understood. We'll get you a couple when we pick up your overalls."

"I haven't any money."

Becca winked at her. "I'll deduct it from your first pay packet."

"Ooh!" exclaimed Nicky. "I nearly missed Theodore." She added a moth eaten teddy bear to the rest of her belongings.

"Theodore?" asked Becca intrigued at the very smart name of a very tatty bear.

Nicky grinned. "Teddy Roosevelt: Teddy Bear."

Becca chuckled. She was getting to like this girl more and more.

Nicky scooped up half a dozen books off the chest of drawers and tossed them on top of everything else. She pulled the dressing gown closed and used the cord to make it into a parcel.

"That's it," she said.

"I think we ought to leave a note for your parents," said Becca.

"I suppose so."

They went back to the kitchen and Nicky found a used envelope and ballpoint pen.

'I've got a job with Decorating Damsels, ' she wrote, 'who are also providing accommodation. Nicky.'

She showed it to Becca who said, "I think you ought to give them a contact phone number." She gave hers.

Nicky added it.

They took Nicky's bundle out to the van.

"I'll go and get my bike," Nicky said and ran off through the side gate to collect it. They bundled that into the back of the van and set off for Penny and Anita's. That took ten minutes. They put the bicycle in the garage and left Nicky's belongings in the hall.

"I don't know which bedroom will be yours," Becca explained.

"It's a palace," said Nicky.

"There are only six of you at the moment," smiled Becca. "Wait until there are ten. It won't seem so palatial then. Right! Come on. It's lunchtime."

On arrival Steven offered Nicky a ginger beer.

"I don't know," she said. "I've never tried it."

"Try some of mine," said Becca. "If you don't like it you can always have an orange squash or plain water."

Nicky took a tentative sip. "Ooh, yes please!" she exclaimed. "I like that."

After lunch Becca asked Nicky if she would do the washing up while she returned the van and the house keys. "We'll go and exercise Garry after that. I'll tell you about him in the car."

She was back in half an hour and she and Nicky set off again for the children's home. Becca outlined Garry's story. Nicky was filled with admiration.

"How do you manage to fit in helping Garry with work?" she asked.

"Oh, we all do it," said Becca carelessly. "We build time at the home into our work schedules and estimates."

"I read about it in the local paper. You're all orphans, aren't you?"

"Not anymore," said Becca cheerfully. "Not now we've got you and a girl called Diane who starts next Monday."

"Well I'm an orphan in all but name," said Nicky flatly. "Would I be able to help out at the home too?"

"You bet!"

"Great!"

Garry was waiting for them when they arrived. Polly was with him. Becca introduced Nicky and noticed a flash of jealousy cross Garry's face. Nevertheless, the walk went well and Garry relaxed. Polly scarcely drew breath. When they got back Becca stuck her head round Edna's door.

"Both back safe and sound," she said. "By the way, when I come tomorrow could you let me know their birthdays."

"Yes, dear, and thanks again."

Becca waved and rejoined Nicky. "Now," she said, "overalls and some towels."

It did not take long to pick them up. "Is there anything else you need?" Becca asked.

"What about things like soap and food?"

"When you get paid you'll be asked to put some money into housekeeping. I don't know how much but Penny and Anita will tell you."

"OK. In that case I can't think of anything."

"Good. Well come and meet the Damsels, some of them anyway."

Becca introduced Nicky first to Jane as team leader who greeted her with a warm smile.

"Ever done this before?" she asked.

Nicky shook her head.

"Come off it," said Becca. "I bet it was you that painted your bedroom."

"Oh yes, so I did."

"Well then."

"In that case you'll be up to speed in no time," said Jane cheerfully.

"Jane, love, can she join your team for the time being? She's going to be living with Penny and Anita so that would make things easier to start with."

"Of course she can. The more the merrier. Welcome to the all star team, Nicky!"

Nicky giggled. "Thanks, Jane," she said.

"Pooh!" said Becca. "All star team! We're all stars."

"True," said Jane airily, "but some stars are brighter than others."

All three laughed.

Becca took Nicky to meet Penny and Anita. Penny took her hands.

"Hello, Nicky," she said. "Welcome to the Damsels and to our house. I gather from Kim that you're pretty much an orphan too."

Nicky could only nod. She could not recall a day like this. Everyone, first Becca and Kim then Steven, Jane and now this sympathetic and friendly girl had been welcoming and kind. She gulped to get rid of the lump in her throat. Penny smiled at her, squeezed her hands and then let go of them.

Anita took them. "Welcome, Nicky," she said. "There's not much else I can say. Penny's pinched the best lines."

"Don't listen to her," retorted Penny. "She'd never have thought of them anyway."

They both cocked snooks at each other and pealed with laughter. Nicky and Becca joined in.

When everything had died down Nicky turned to Becca. "I don't want to appear ungrateful or anything," she said, "but why don't I change into overalls and start work now? I can go home with Penny and Anita in the van."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.