Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 12

Christmas fell on a Thursday that year. The Damsels finished work on the Tuesday as they had hoped. Becca apologised to Jane for her absences but also congratulated her on finishing a demanding job on time. There was relief among all the Damsels living at the house that they had time to prepare for the party on Christmas Day. Becca was able to go out and buy small presents for them all.

The Damsels turned out in strength for the Carol Service at the children's home. The dining-room was packed and there was an overflow into the hall. Helen Anstruther had brought a crowd of people from social services. The choir sang four carols on their own and did so very well. They received many congratulations afterwards. Garry received more than his fair share because he stood head and shoulders above all the other boys and was easier to identify.

Becca was effusive in her praise and Garry responded with a beaming smile and, for him, said a lot about which carols he had enjoyed the most and which were the more difficult ones. He was introduced to Steven who shook him warmly by the hand and commiserated about his ankle. He had been to Outpatients the previous day and the specialist was pleased with his progress. He would be starting physiotherapy the following week.

Throughout the conversations Polly was standing beside him jiggling with excitement. There came a momentary pause and she could contain herself no longer.

"He's going to try his hand at carving with me," she blurted out.

"Wow!" exclaimed Becca in genuine astonishment. "That's wonderful." She hugged them both delightedly. "What are you going to do first?" she asked Garry.

"A monkey."

"We found a picture in a book about animals," chipped in Polly.

"How big's it going to be?" asked Becca.

"Not very. I'm going to double up all the measurements in the photo so it'll only be about seven or eight inches high."

"I really look forward to seeing it when it's done. How's the kingfisher coming along?" she asked Polly.

"Nearly finished."

"Are you going to paint it?"

"No!" exclaimed Polly in horror. "You wouldn't be able to see the grain."

Becca looked suitably chastened.

"Where do you get your wood from?" asked Steven.

"Mr Dowgill lets us have some of his offcuts."

They managed to extract themselves eventually with a promise from Becca to come in on Boxing Day. Becca then had a busy evening cooking dinner and wrapping Christmas presents for the Damsels. Steven helped her with both which meant that Becca had to take frequent breaks to thank and kiss him. They agreed to give each other and Mary their presents before they joined the Damsels.

Mary arrived at half past eight on Christmas Day and they all three took a cup of coffee to the sitting room where there was a small tree under which they had placed their presents. Steven acted as Father Christmas.

Mary gave them both leather gloves with fur linings. Becca's were suede.

"Not very original, I'm afraid," said Mary but was put firmly in her place by both of them.

Steven gave her a silk blouse and Becca a small but versatile blender.

Becca gave Steven a tweed hacking jacket which fitted him like a glove. That was hardly surprising as she had borrowed one of his jackets so that the tailor could copy the measurements. He was delighted with it.

Steven cheated. He gave Becca two presents: one a book entitled Norman England and a beautiful and very extravagant brooch. She was delighted with the first, speechless about the second and could only cling to him.

They went to church at half past ten and then straight on to the Damsels arriving shortly after twelve and were effusively welcomed, Mary included. Nell had brought Tom. Becca had not seen him since the summer vacation and hugged and kissed him warmly. He was still enjoying university enormously but admitted that the workload was as exacting as ever.

Only soft drinks were served although the Damsels had bought some light ale for Steven. Everybody seemed to talk at once and the noise was deafening with all the laughter as well. Everyone heard the doorbell at half past twelve though and conversation stopped immediately as no one could think who it might be.

"I'll get it," said Carly. Nell went with her being the only one who knew who the visitors were.

Paul Brain and Rita Pinkley were standing outside.

"Hello, Rita," said Carly. "Happy Christmas. What brings you here?"

"Happy Christmas to you too, Carly. This is Paul Brain, one of our directors."

Carly held out her hand and Paul took it. They both wished each other a Happy Christmas.

Nell stepped forward and kissed both the visitors and then, turning to Carly, said, "Can you go and dig the others out I think Mr Brain and Rita have a surprise for them."

Carly looked bemused but did as Nell asked. Rita and Paul moved slightly down the street where there was less chance of them being noticed and waited as the girls came spilling out.

Once there were some ten girls out in the street a replica of the van they already had began to move slowly down it. It had a huge holly wreath on the radiator and a notice below it reading, 'Happy Christmas Damsels'. The girls watched it in awe as it approached.

"Oh crikey!" whispered Becca. "Oh crikey, crikey, crikey!"

The van arrived simultaneously with Paul and Rita. Roger Brain hopped out of the cab and joined them.

"Happy Christmas, Damsels," they said together.

Becca ran to them and flung her arms round Rita. "Oh, Rita, my love, thank you, thank you, thank you." She kissed her fiercely then released her and attacked Paul and Roger in turn. Nell was close behind her. The other girls came forward and shyly thanked the three.

At length, Becca clapped her hands and everyone fell silent.

"Six or eight weeks ago I asked Rita whether Brain Bros had another van that was due for replacement and if so could we buy it to save us the dealer fees. She said she'd let me know. She never did."

"She told me," said Nell smugly.

"I'll deal with you later, young lady," said Becca sternly. Everyone laughed.

"Mr Paul, Mr Roger, thank you so much. I never, never expected a gift, I promise. On behalf of us all, thank you very, very much for your wonderful generosity."

The girls clapped. Roger held up his hand and silence descended. "Ladies," he said, "Rita did ask whether we had another van you could buy and told us that you were still, in addition to your decorating work, helping out at the children's home. We think you are doing a wonderful job, particularly after what most of you went through when you were there. Then Rita told us that about your house so that no one has to go into a hostel. We just thought you ought to receive another reward for what you're still doing. We are more than happy to give you this van. Who are your new drivers?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.