Thursday's Child - Cover

Thursday's Child

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 11

Nell buttonholed Becca as they assembled for work two days later.

"I'm afraid you're going to have trouble with Garry," she said.

"Oh dear," Becca sighed. "What happened?"

"He came over to me and I said, 'Hello, you must be Garry. Becca told me about you.' He just said abruptly, 'Where is she?'"

"He is very shy," interjected Becca trying to make excuses for him.

Nell shrugged. "I told him that you were unable to come today and had asked me to come instead. His eyes filled with tears and then he just glared at me and left. I didn't see him again."

"Oh Lord! Did you speak to Edna?"

"No. I hardly know her."

"OK. Blast! I should have popped in before going to see Mr Oldthwaite. How stupid of me! I just got in a panic about all I had to fit in and didn't think it through."

"Don't beat yourself up, love. You can't be there all the time for him."

"No. Uncle Steven said the same but it's all so touch and go at the moment. I've got him talking to me at last and I wanted to try and build up his self-confidence. I just hope I can get him back again quickly."

Nell put a comforting arm round her waist. "I'm sure you will, love."

Becca smiled gratefully at her. She pondered on the problem throughout the morning but reached no conclusions other than to have a quick word with Edna on her arrival. As far as dealing with Garry was concerned she had no idea what she was going to do other than not be wet. She would have to trust her instincts.

Edna welcomed her with a lop-sided smile. "You're in the doghouse with Master Brook," she said.

"So I gathered from Nell. Has he gone completely back into his shell?"

"Pretty well but he did still come to choir practice yesterday evening."

"That's a relief. Is he any good?"

"Surprisingly so. He can't read a note of music of course but he sings in tune. He picks up and remembers the notes very well and I think he's got a natural ear for harmony."

"That's wonderful. Have you told him?"

"Sort of but not enough to give him a swollen head."

Becca laughed. "I'll be careful not to either then. Right! I'll be off to the lion's den."

"Good luck, dear, and thank you again."

Becca strolled out to the games field. There was no sign of Garry. She took position on the touchline and had soon gathered her bunch of friends.

"Where were you yesterday?" asked Polly.

"I had to go and do an estimate for some people."

"Oh! Were they nice?"

"Yes. They're old and she's not quite right in the head anymore so her husband has to look after her."

"She's lucky he didn't bugger off," said one of the boys.

"Yes," agreed Becca, "but he obviously loves her very much."

"Yeah! OK! That's what my dad told my mother before she got ill," he added bitterly."

Becca decided to change the subject. "Where's Garry today?" she asked.

"In a sulk," said Polly.

"What on earth for?"

"'Cos you weren't here yesterday," said the boy who had spoken earlier.

"I don't believe it. That's silly."

"Yeah! That's what I told him but he just told me to eff off."

Becca decided the topic of conversation needed to be changed again.

"I saw the Christmas decorations in the hall," she said. "Are they all done?"

"No!" said one of the little girls who was holding her hand. "We haven't done the tree yet."

"Doris and me have made the star," said the other little hand-holder proudly.

"Well done you! Is it a big one?"

"Quite big. We had to draw it on cardboard first and then cut it out."

"We had to do it twice," said Doris, "'cos Rene cut one of the points off."

"I didn't. It was only a little cut but Mrs Olney said it would make that point wobbly."

"Bad luck but she was probably right," said Becca.

"Yeah, I s'pose, said Rene dolefully.

"Look out," said another of the boys. "Thunderstorm coming up."

He was right. Garry was approaching and he did indeed look angry. A number of the children drifted away but Doris and Rene continued to cling to Becca's hands and Polly stood her ground.

"Hello, Garry," said Becca cheerily.

"Where were you yesterday?" he demanded.

"Hello, Garry," repeated Becca pointedly.

Garry glared at her and she met his gaze. "Well, Garry?"

"Hello, Becca," he replied sullenly.

She smiled at him and he bit his lip. "Aren't we friends anymore?" she asked softly.

Garry was incapable of replying. He continued to bite his lip but his eyes were pleading.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here yesterday," she said gently.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I couldn't because my appointment for yesterday afternoon was only made late the evening before."

"Couldn't you have left a message for me?"

"We were sad she wasn't here too," said Polly, "but we knew she'd come back."

Garry looked at her. "How did you know?"

"'Cos we're her friends."

"We're her friends too," piped up Rene and swung Becca's hand to prove it.

Garry looked down at her and saw her smile, guileless, trusting and happy. He looked back up at Becca who merely nodded. He could not though miss the warmth in her eyes.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.