The Trail West
Chapter 8: The Conclusion

Copyright© 2010 by woodmanone

Late Thursday afternoon, the group set up a base camp and made ready to start the round up the next morning. Their camp site was at the entrance to a box canyon where they could hold the cattle until they started home. The canyon had water and some grazing for the captured animals.

Each of the men had brought two horses with them; Charley White loaned a trained cow pony to Jacob to go with his Puma. Josh brought Diablo of course and his second horse was Joey.

"I'm surprised you didn't bring Sunny," Red said. He had brought Jasper and Queenie.

"Don't think I could've got him away from Danni. She's just about takin him for her own and I don't think Sunny would leave her either. Besides, Joey is a better stock horse than Sunny; he's smaller and quicker. He's just the horse for this rough country."


By Tuesday evening five days later the men had rounded up 87 cattle. The box canyon was getting full; there wasn't a lot of room for many more animals. It had been a hard five days work; riding from sunup until sundown through scrub brush, cedar trees, and lots of rocks.

"One more day I think," Red offered at the campfire Tuesday night. "Don't think our corral there will hold many more and the cattle are getting harder to find. We'll make one more sweep tomorrow morning and get geared up to leave Thursday early. That suit you boys?"

Josh, Jerry, and Jimbo Hughes, the hand from the Lazy L, all agreed it was time to head home. Jacob was the only hold out.

"I didn't get a chance to work the round up. Josh, I'd like to do more than just baby sit the cattle. Can I go out with you tomorrow?" Jacob asked with a hopeful look.

Josh had to smile; Jacob would do. He'd done most of the work around the camp, taken care of the remuda, and guarded the animals already collected. He never complained and was always ready to help take care of the horses after a hard day of riding.

"Okay Jacob. I'll stay here and be the baby sitter tomorrow. But you take Charley's extra horse; you don't want to get Puma all cut up in the brush. You can ride with Jerry; he'll show you what to do."

Jacob was awake and up before anyone else the next morning. He'd made coffee and was a bundle of nerves waiting for the men to ride out. When they left Jacob had a big smile on his face; he was finally going to be a cowboy.

Josh left Diablo, ground tied, at the head of the box canyon and started to pack up unneeded items at the camp. The presence of the big horse would keep the cattle bunched in the canyon. He heard a strange noise just over a little rise, mounted Joey and went to investigate. Sounded like someone riding through the brush he thought.

He topped the rise and as he came around some cedars a rifle shoot rang out. Joey staggered, coughed, and went down in a heap. Josh was thrown and rolled as he hit; he stood up a little dazed. He shook his head to clear the cobwebs and saw four men riding toward him. Before he could pull his pistol the lead rider had a rifle pointed at his chest.

Josh recognized Jake Stillwell and the other three drovers that he had run off the Lazy L. Douglas, the man that Josh had shot that day was with them and had an evil grin on his face.

"You should'a killed me when you could've Kelly," Stillwell said. "Looks like it's our turn."

"Now I'll get you for shootin me," Douglas added pointing a pistol at Josh.

"You didn't ride all this way just to hunt me down Stillwell," Josh said ignoring Douglas and playing for time. "You could have found me a lot closer to home." He hoped the men would relax a little and give him a chance to pull his pistol to defend himself. "What'da you doing here?"

"Heard you talkin in Victor when you stopped to get some supplies. Thought we'd let you do all the work and then take the cattle."

"So take em and go," Josh replied.

"We will, but first we're gonna settle our debt with you. After you threw us off the Lazy L the word got around and no one would hire us so we've living on slim pickins. When we're done with you we'll go find McCall and settle up with him too."

"You won't have to go far to find me; I'm right here."

Stillwell and the others spun around and saw Red sitting on his horse about 30 feet behind and to the side of them with his pistol drawn. Douglas turned back toward Josh raising his pistol but before he could bring the gun to bear Josh pulled his own pistol and shot him in the chest. He brought down another man and turned toward the others. Stillwell and the other man were on the ground; one dead and one fatally wounded. Red had put them down.

Red rode over to Josh, "Are you okay partner?"

Josh nodded and holstered his pistol. "Little shook up from being thrown but I'm okay. Glad you decided to come back when you did."

"I didn't find enough cattle to stay out so I thought I'd come back and take it easy with you sittin around camp," Red replied with a big grin. "Decided to make one last sweep through that gulley yonder. I heard the rifle shot and then heard you and these fellers talkin. Thought I'd better come and see what kind of trouble you'd got yourself into."

Josh didn't return Red's grin and looked at the dead men. "I guess we should bury em."

"Why? They wouldn't have buried you; they'd left you to rot. Besides coyotes and varmints got to eat too. Let's get back to camp."

"We just can't leave them here Red. It's not right."

Red disagreed but knew that his friend was upset at the killings. Josh wasn't squeamish about defending himself or his friends but the wasted lives always bothered him. So Red didn't argue with him, he just said, "Sorry about Joey. He was a good horse."

Josh nodded and pulled his saddle and gear off his dead horse. He had tears in his eyes as he climbed up behind Red.

"Jasper now you behave yourself or I'll beat you with a brandin iron," Red told his horse. As they rode Red suggested that they roll the bodies in ground cloths and the next morning put them across their saddles. They could drop them off with the law in Victor.

They hadn't been in camp for more than a few minutes before the other three members of the crew came in riding hard. Jerry was the first in, holding his pistol at the ready. When he saw Josh and Red he holstered his weapon and said, "We heard shots. What happened?"

Red quickly told the three about Stillwell and the gun battle on top of the rise. After answering a few questions Red took Jimbo and went back to the scene of the gunfight. They wrapped the bodies and rounded up the dead men's horses.

At daybreak Red and Josh started the herd back to Chico Basin. The dead men were tied across their saddles and lead ropes had been attached to their horses. It was Jerry's unpleasant task to lead that death train until they reached Victor. Jacob took Jerry's place on the left flank of the herd.

Late that afternoon they bedded the cattle down just outside of town. Josh and Red went to find whatever law there was in Victor, leading the horses carrying the bodies. They took them to the undertaker and dropped the dead men off. The undertaker said that the town sheriff would be back to town around 4 PM.

"How much to bury a man?" Red asked.

"Twenty dollars," answered the undertaker.

Before Josh could offer to pay for the burials, Red pointed to the bodies and said, "Their horses, saddles, and guns should cover the cost, don't you think?"

The man nodded, not wanting to cross the stranger with the wild eyes. Besides, he would make a very nice profit from selling the gear of the dead men.

Red continued, "The Sheriff will want to see the bodies before you put them in the ground. My name's Red McCall, this is Josh Kelly; we'll wait at the saloon until he gets back to town."

Josh went with Red to the saloon to wait for the Sheriff. He really wanted to go back to camp but couldn't leave his friend to face the law by himself. It was a case of self defense but they were strangers to the area and sometimes the law was funny.

They sat at a table and Red had a quick whiskey while Josh nursed a beer. Red had just sat back down after getting a beer for himself when there was a commotion behind him.

"Is there a back shootin, horse stealin, cattle rustlin son of a bitch name Red McCall in here?" A short, solid looking man about 40 asked.

Red stood with a wild, mean look in his eyes and turned to face the man insulting him. When he saw the man asking about him, he smiled and then laughed. "Watch who you're calling a son of a bitch, you old tub of lard," Red replied.

Josh had stood when Red did and was prepared for a fight; his partner wouldn't let anyone get away with those deadly insults. He was surprised and puzzled at Red's reaction. The man confronting them had a Sheriff's badge pinned to his vest.

Red saw that Josh was primed for trouble and put his hand on his friend's gun hand. "Josh, this old fart is Jackson Slaughter. He's too lazy to find real work, so he came out here and became a Sheriff I guess," Red explained. "He's John's older brother; Jackson is my cousin too."

Jackson shook hands with Josh and grabbed Red in a bear hug and spun him around. "Damn, it's good to see someone from back home; even if it is a no account scoundrel like you."

"Put me down you old coot. Pa told me you'd come out to Colorado, but he didn't know where. Said you hadn't written or anything since you left," Red remarked. He paused and then asked, "Why'd you leave anyway?"

"My family didn't own slaves, never did and never would; didn't see any sense in gettin shot up in that damn stupid war over something I didn't abide with. So I left in late '60. Heard John went to fight in early '62; don't know if he's still kicking or not. My folks aren't real happy with me so I don't have much contact with them."

"John's fine, at least as of last month, according to the letter from Pa. He joined the Confederate Army but got real bad sick and was sent home. Now he's riding with the Texas Rangers." Red explained.

"Sorry to hear about your brothers Red. I did get word about them," Jackson said putting his hand on Red's shoulder. After a sad moment, he continued, "So tell me about those four bodies over to the undertaker's."

Red explained about Stillwell and the other dead men. "They tried to kill us Jackson; we couldn't allow that to happen. Josh said we should bring them to the law; I wanted to leave them out on the prairie."

"Those boys were no good; I knew it and run them out of town just after you came through. But I'm glad you brought them in. You won't have any trouble over the shootin; not with what I knowed about them. Now, can you come over to the house for supper?"

"No Jackson, we have to get back to our herd. Can't stay for a visit this time, but you're invited to my wedding next spring. I'm living just outside of Fountain; I'll write and tell you all about it," Red responded.

On the way back to camp Red asked Josh, "Feel better now?"

Josh nodded.


Two days later they completed the drive from Cripple Creek to the CBC. Josh and Red cut out about half of the herd and pushed them toward the grazing grounds on the Maggie M. Jerry and Jimbo drove the rest of the herd to the Lazy L.

Danni was at the Maggie M, home for the weekend. She was at the corral with Sunny hoping Josh would come home soon; she wanted to see him before she had to go back to Fountain.

Sarah was the first to hear the cattle, mooing and bellowing as they got closer to the ranch house. She yelled, "They're back." Sarah made a running leap, mounted her horse, and tore out toward the herd. Danni was right behind her on Sunny. The slowed as they got close to the cattle to keep from spooking them.

At point, leading the herd was their brother Jacob. He was dirty and covered in dust and looked dog tired; but he rode tall and proud. Josh and Red rode drag. Drag was the worse place to be on a cattle drive; the riders were almost obscured in the dust kicked up by the herd.

Danni and Sarah smiled at each other; it was typical of their men to take the hardest job. They never asked their hands to do anything that they wouldn't do first. The girls waited for the herd to pass, then joined Josh and Red riding drag. They were quickly covered in the dust thrown up by the herd; neither cared, their men were back safe and sound.

Josh had been wearing a bandana across his nose and mouth to protect him from the dust; Red also wore one. He pulled it down and greeted Danni with a big grin, "Dang, it's good to see your but y'all gonna get covered in dust back here."

"It'll wash off. I didn't want to wait for you any longer," Danni replied riding Sunny closer to Josh and taking his hand in hers.

Red didn't bother with words. He rode next to Sarah, leaned over, put his arm around her, and kissed her. "I missed you girl," he said to a smiling Sarah. "Didn't know how much until right now."

The dust settled as they drove the cattle onto the grass of the Maggie M and past the ranch house to the grazing grounds near Black Squirrel Creek. "They'll settle down for the next few days," Red told the others. "They're tired and hungry and won't leave the water and grass. Let's get back to the house."

Jacob was dead tired by the time they got back to the ranch house. He was a strong boy but he wasn't used to riding and working stock for 14 to 16 hours at a time. Maggie rushed off the porch and hugged her son, glad to have him home safe. Daniel tried to get by with just patting Jacob on the shoulder but couldn't help himself; he pulled the boy to him with a big hug and a kiss on the top of Jacob's head. He offered to take care of Jacob's horses for him.

Jacob turned down the help. "My horses, my responsibility," he said and led Puma and the cowpony to the corral.

"Mother, I guess our boy has grown into a real cowboy," Daniel said with pride.

Red smiled at Jacob as he passed and said, "You'll do boy. Good job."

The three cowboys went to the creek for a bath. After supper everyone had to hear about the trip to Cripple Creek; they talked until nearly 10 PM. Josh finally stood and said, "Maybe Jacob there isn't tired," he pointed to the boy asleep in a chair, "but I sure am. See y'all in the morning. He kissed Danni and headed for the bunkhouse.


The cattle brought from Cripple Creek were allowed to graze and rest for about a month. Not all of the cattle from the wild round up or from the two ranches were ready for market this year; some would be held over and fattened up until the next year's round up.

Between the cattle rounded up from both parts of the CBC and the ones brought from Cripple Creek there were 250 some animals to be driven to the railhead for sale. Daniel, Josh, Red, Jerry and Jacob went on the cattle drive. They also brought Jimbo Hughes and Will Stinson another hand from the Lazy L; leaving Charlie White and the other two hands to take care of the ranch. When the men of the Chico Basin Cattle Company started the drive the quote was $15 a head. This would bring almost four thousand dollars for their cattle; more than double the amount that the ranches had ever brought in previously

Maggie, Sarah, and Danni rode ahead of the cattle to Fountain; they wanted to look into some things from Mitchell's store for the upcoming weddings. They would wait in Fountain for the men to ride back from Colorado City after delivering the cattle. The girls and their mother had discussed wedding dresses but Saran and Danni decided they would rather get married in Sunday go to meeting dresses; maybe a little fancier than normal but something they could wear more than once.

"After the wedding and the shivaree, a special dress won't stay on any longer than it takes to get to the house anyway," Sarah said nudging Danni in the ribs and giggling. "Rather spend the extra money on things to make the house at the Lazy L more of a home."

It took two full days for the men to drive the cattle to Colorado City's railhead. By the time they got there the price for cattle had gone up to $17.50 a head. The drive was finished on a Friday and Saturday morning early the crew started back for Fountain. Daniel had a bank draft for $4375 in his inside vest pocket. It's a great beginning for the Chico Basin Cattle Company, he thought.

The partners and the cow hands met the Maguire women in Fountain. Red suggested that they stand good for haircuts, shaves, and a hot bath for the two hands. "Wouldn't be a bad thing for us to do the same thing; I'm a little ripe myself after two days on the trail with 250 cattle," Red suggested with a wrinkled nose and a laugh.

Josh agreed saying that the men had worked hard on the drive; they deserved a little extra. "What about paying them a bonus for the drive and giving them today and tomorrow off? They probably would like a night in town to blow off some steam."

Red nodded and said, "Next weekend we can give Charley, Will, and James a night in town." He turned to Jerry and explained, "We pay the boys a salary but a cattle drive is extra work, so we'll give them a bonus with some time off. But you have to do that for all the hands. Jimbo went with us to Cripple Creek but the others took care of the ranch while we were gone. They deserve a little extra too."

All of the men made a trip to the barber shop to get spiffed up. After the baths, shaves, and haircuts Daniel gave each of the hired hands a $10 gold piece and some advice. "We're givin you boys a week's pay as a bonus and the two days off. But remember, come Monday morning we expect you back at the ranch ready to work. Have a good time fellars."

The two cow hands thanked Daniel and headed for the saloon laughing and hollering. I'm afraid there's gonna be some headaches in that group come Monday, Daniel thought and smiled. Did the same thing when I was younger and before I met Maggie.

After the happy cow hands left the rest of the group went to the café for an early lunch. They wanted to get back to the ranch that day. It wasn't fair to leave Charley and the others doing the extra work for much longer. While they had been gone on the cattle drive the three hands back at the ranch had extra work to do.

Even after a large portion of their cattle had been taken to market there was still a lot of work that had to be done at the ranch. Charley, Will, and James were the ones that stayed and made sure things were taken care of. They checked and counted the calves born that fall, branded most of the remaining cattle brought in from Cripple Creek, and did the day to day chores necessary on the place.

Finishing lunch, the Maguire women made a visit to the seamstress, again to discuss the dresses that Sarah and Danni were having made for the wedding. Daniel and his three young partners went to the bank. On the way Daniel steered all of them to the saloon, including Jerry. Josh, Red, and now Daniel considered the youngster a man now; his hard work and attitude earned him that right.

"I thought we were going to the bank while we waited on the women," Red remarked with a big grin. "Course I got no problem with a saloon, don't you know."

"We'll have to go gather up those women or we'll be here all afternoon. About the only thing I've learned about women is that when they start talking about dresses and such you'll end up having to throw a rope on em to drag em away," Daniel replied. "Sides I got some business I want to talk over with you three and the saloon is as good a place as any."

Walking into the saloon, Daniel led them to a table nodding at two men leaning on the bar. The bartender came over to see what they wanted to drink. Ralph Jennings was new to the area from back East somewhere. He was a bit of a dandy, wearing a collared shirt, string tie, and a brocade vest. Jennings believed he was better than most of the customers because he was from a big city; sometimes his arrogance showed.

Daniel and Red ordered whiskey and Josh asked for a beer and took a little ribbing from his partners about his refusal to drink hard liquor. Before Jerry could order the bartender said, "Can't serve you anything sonny. You're just a boy and too young to even be in here. I ought to throw you out but I guess I could get you a sarsaparilla."

Jerry hung his head for a few seconds and then looking Jennings in the eye said, "I'd be happy to step outside and show you what a boy can do Mister."

Red laughed out loud. "Damn Jerry, you been spending too much time around me."

"What's your name Mister?" Josh quickly asked before the man could react to Jerry's challenge.

"Ralph Jennings," the bartender answered.

"This 'boy' is a veteran of two guerrilla raids on the wagon train we were traveling with; he lost both of his parents during one of those raids. This 'boy' has backed our play in dangerous situations several times. This 'boy' held off two bandits so my fiancé could go for help," Josh stopped and fixed Jennings with his cold, wild blue eyes.

"I'd go easy on that throw you out part Mister Jennings," Josh continued in an angry tone. "That 'boy' has just returned from a cattle drive and before that did two men's work over to Cripple Creek. He's a full partner in our ranch and earned every bit of it. I'm right fond of that 'boy' and you might have trouble throwing him out."

I can't let Josh have all the fun Red thought and added, "Besides, he's with us and he'll have whatever he cares to." Red had the beginnings of the evil little grin he wore when trouble came up.

"And just who might you two be?" Jennings still wasn't impressed with the group sitting at the table in spite of Josh's words; taking them for plain old cow hands off some hard scrapple ranch. He had been surprised at the boy's readiness to stand up to him.

"I'm Josh Kelly and this is Red McCall. And that 'boy' is Jerry Barnes."

Jennings turned a little pale at hearing those names. The one thing that's more available in a saloon than whiskey and beer is gossip. Men would come in to drink and talk about the news, rumors, and stories about town's people and visitors. He had heard the stories concerning Kelly and McCall, their run in with Tom Larson, how they ran Stillwell and the other three off the Lazy L, and the shoot out that left the four men belly up on the plains.

"Sorry Mr. Kelly, Mr. McCall. I didn't know who you were," he said backpedalling. Turning back to Jerry he asked, "What can I get for you Mr. Barnes?"

"Think I'll have a sarsaparilla," Jerry answered with a straight face.

This time it was Daniel that laughed out loud. Jennings nodded and quickly left to get their drinks. He was glad to get away.

"Okay, now that the funs over what did you want to talk about Daniel?" Red asked. Josh turned to face Daniel as the anger bled out of him. He was surprised as anyone at his reaction to the insulting manner that Jennings had treated Jerry.

"When we formed the Chico Basin Cattle Company," Daniel started looking at Jerry with a smile, acknowledging his idea for the name, "we agreed to split the profits 50/50 right?" At a nod from his three companions he continued. "I think we ought to rethink that agreement."

Josh and Red were surprised at his statement and leaned forward in their chairs. They thought they'd made a fair and equal way to split the profits and couldn't understand why Daniel would want to change it. Of the three only Jerry seemed unconcerned. He smiled and leaned back in his chair.

Jennings returned and carefully sat the drinks on the table; he made a special effort and sat the sarsaparilla directly in front of Jerry. Red threw back the whiskey and ordered another. Daniel just sat there waiting for his partners to react.

Josh motioned to Red to let him do the talking. I'm the one that pretty much got us into this, he thought. So I should be the one to find out what changed Daniel's mind.

"How do you want to change our agreement, Daniel?"

Daniel smiled to himself at the carefully controlled tone in Josh's voice. "I reckon when we take this draft over to the bank that we take $400 off the top so you boys can pay off Nancy Larson; like you promised. The balance should be put into one account." Daniel paused to sip his whiskey, enjoying the looks on Josh and Red's faces.

"Our spread isn't the Lazy L or the Maggie M anymore; it's the CBC and it's one ranch. I propose that we put the balance of the money into one account for the Chico Basin Cattle Company."

Red's big grin and Josh's smile at the teasing gave Daniel a lot of pleasure. "Besides, I'm already trusting you with my girls and they mean a lot more than money."

"That's a mighty fine idea," Red responded. "Let's have a drink to the new agreement." In a loud voice he said, " Another round if you please barkeep."

Josh looked toward the bartender and said, "Mr. Jennings, bring four whiskey instead, if you will." Turning back to his partners he smiled and said, "I reckon I can stand one whiskey to celebrate the Chico Basin Cattle Company's first round up."

Daniel and Red laughed at the faces that Jerry and Josh made after drinking the whiskey. "Now I remember why I don't like that stuff," Josh said with a grimace.

The four men went to the bank and set up the new account. Daniel handed the boys $400 in Double Eagle $20.00 gold coins. That was Red's idea. He remark was, "I don't know about Mrs. Larson, but I trust gold a lot more than paper dollars right now. Anyway we told her cash money."

Going to meet the women, they found that Daniel was right; the ladies weren't ready to go and had to be persuaded to leave. "We might have to use a brandin iron to get them apart," Daniel said.

"Hush Daniel, we're ready to go," Maggie said with a grin. When Josh explained the new money agreement to the women, Maggie turned to her husband, "That's a fine thing to do honey. I'm proud of you." She put her arms around his neck and pulled his head down and kissed him.

On the ride back to the ranch, Josh had a thought. "You know, Mr. Swede might be a mite upset if all the others get a bonus and he don't. I think we'd better give him a little extra and let him have a couple of days off too."

Red laughed and agreed, "I sure don't want to face a mad Mr. Swede. He might serve us skunk or somethin."

At the cutoff to the Lazy L, Josh and Red stopped to say good bye to Danni and Sarah. They would see the girls the next evening for Sunday supper but that was a long time to wait for the young couples. The rest of the Maguires and Jerry rode on toward the Maggie M to give them a little privacy. Daniel kept looking back over his shoulder until finally Maggie said with some exasperation, "Daniel, mind your own business. The girls will be fine."

Sunday about midday, Josh, Red, and Jerry rode past the Maggie M to the S Bar S. They got to the ranch house and Bill Sanders stepped out onto the porch to greet them.

"Howdy boys. Good to see you, what can I do for you?"

As usual Josh was the spokesman. "We'd like to see Mrs. Larson if we could."

"Hey sis," Sanders called back into the house. "There's three young gentlemen here to see you."

Nancy Larson came out of the house with a puzzle look until she saw her visitors. She walked over to stand next to her brother.

Josh dismounted and walked onto the porch. "Mrs. Larson we brung the rest of the money, $400, that we owe you for the Lazy L; just like we promised. Red here thought you'd appreciate cash money so it's in double eagle gold coins." He handed her a draw string pouch; she could hear the coins clinking together as she took the bag.

Nancy had a little smile playing around her mouth. "Wait just a minute please, Mr. Kelly. She returned into the house but came back shortly with what looked like a letter.

"Bill told me that you gentlemen would be here as soon as you finished the cattle drive. I wrote this letter stating that you've paid for the ranch in full and had Bill witness it. I hope you and your ladies will be happy there. It was a good place to live at one time." She smiled, handed the letter to Josh, and returned to the house.

"The place has bad memories for her," Sanders said. "It'll do her good to get shed of it.

The new owners of the Lazy L thanked Bill but turned down the offer of a drink or lunch and made the ride back to the Maggie M.


After the round up and drive to the railhead, things became a little more hectic for the two young couples. Sarah had to go back to Fountain to teach and now there were two young ladies traveling back and forth between town and the ranch. Neither of the girls was looking forward to the winter weather which would keep them in town. It was hard enough just seeing their men on weekends but when the snow and cold came in late October or early November they'd be lucky to see them once a month.

Before the weather changed there were several projects accomplished on the two ranches. An additional well was dug at the Lazy L. The corrals and barns were mended and the work on the bunk house enlarging it into a regular home was almost finished.

Daniel, Josh and Red were riding the range checking on the late season grass. They were trying to decide which area would be best to winter the cattle. They were riding along Chico Creek where it wound through a basin and then between two hills as it flowed southeast from the Lazy L to the Maggie M. It was the outgoing, boisterous, joking Red that came up with an idea that would be a boon to the CBC in future years.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.