Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar! - Cover

Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Chapter 20

Early the next day, Sir Klaron called to Linden, "We are back inside the borders of Calvar, Queen Linden! Welcome home, my dearest Majesty!"

"Wonderful!" Linden beamed at Sir Klaron. She took a deep breath of Calvar air. "How long will it take us to get to the Castle from here?"

"Traveling as fast as we are now, it should take us about three sun cycles to get there. Thanks to you our men are toughening up rather than wearying. We sent a hard riding courier ahead, so the Castle will be ready for our return."

The next few days were relatively uneventful; their warriors seemed even more devoted and willing than ever, after Linden's demonstration of her superb archery skills and the dead archer as proof of her willingness to protect them, too!

The inhabitants they met were respectful and friendly. They were even friendlier when they heard their martyred Monarch's Daughter was returning as their Queen, the warriors were all Calvar born and bred, and their Commander was the legendary Sir Klaron!

Some of the men had Family and Friends in the surrounding countryside. Linden heard one day they were only a few miles from one of the warrior's sweetheart's Family home. She insisted they detour a few miles to visit. When they arrived at the country manor, Linden told the attractive young Girl's Family the brave warrior was indispensable to her, thereby earning his and their eternal gratitude.

Linden began to recognize the general features of the land, which was surprising considering she had been only a Child when she'd seen it last. They went by the farm where Klaron had stealthily harvested the turnips and carrots. Linden met the farmer and found it was the same man who had owned the farm summers before.

Linden told him his produce had helped her and Klaron survive their ordeal and insisted the man take a generous sum for the price of his pilfered vegetables, plus interest, and Vandar cast a benevolent spell over the carrot field. He promised the man, "There will be no carrot in Calvar sweeter or crisper than those you grow in that field!" The grateful man swore his faithful allegiance as they rode away.

"This way." Linden abruptly pointed the way one afternoon. She directed them straight to the scenic spring where Sir Klaron had fought the Trolls and saved her so many years before. She had often dreamed about stopping here on her way back to her home.

The spring and surrounding clearing was as beautiful as Linden recalled. They drank their fill at the spring, then they watered their mounts from the pool below. The water tasted as delicious and refreshing as she had remembered it to be.

Linden walked away from the spring for a moment, she was aware of Vandar and Sir Klaron following her closely. She walked up to a huge tree that towered over her.

"This is the tree, isn't it, Klaron? You can still see the scars from the Troll's huge claws!"

"Yes, this is the one. I put you up on that first branch and you clambered up to the next. Of course, the tree has grown much taller in the twelve years since."

Linden ran to Sir Klaron and tearfully hugged him. "You will always be my Hero!" She told him, as she pulled his face down to kiss him on his cheek. Her heart and mind were full of emotions; she reached for Vandar, and pulled him to her without releasing Klaron's strong arm. "I'm going to need both of you to accomplish this!" She told them.

"We're here, Darling." Vandar assured her. They walked back to their mounts, arm in arm, with Linden firmly held between her two adoring heroes!

The ride on to Castle Calvar was surprisingly short. As they rode through the village, the people turned out to see them. Some of them waved banners, the colors of Calvar. Linden was so moved by one group of women who were crying in the street that she dismounted to speak to them.

The women bowed, and then one of them spoke impulsively. "Oh, Queen Linden, you're so beautiful! You're just like your Mother, Queen Margo. She was such a precious little thing!"

"Thank you. I know you loved her, too." Linden was barely able to speak, her emotions were affecting her so strongly! She embraced each of the women, sharing her own tears with theirs, then she remounted her Unicorn and they rode on through the town. Castle Calvar seemed to loom ominously above the horizon. Linden tried to reason with herself. Yes, she had seen some horrible things here, but she and her Father and Mother had been happy here, too. It was her ancestral home and nothing would keep her from it!

"It's an awesome Castle, Dear." Vandar told Linden. "Yes, I know what you're thinking," Linden returned, "It looks invincible, doesn't it?" The closer Linden got to the Castle, the gloomier she felt. Of a sudden, she seemed to hear screaming coming from the Castle. She heard desperate and hopeless victims crying out against unspeakable atrocities! She reached to touch Vandar and the horrid sounds stopped!

"Are you alright, Dearest?" Vandar asked in concern.

"Yes, Dear, I only thought I heard something for a moment. I'm fine, now." Linden assured him.

The Castle looked exactly as Linden had remembered it. King Wildar had done a fine job of ensuring it was properly restored. From it's appearance it could have been new, instead of being hundreds of years old.

Linden dismounted and walked slowly toward the massive lowered drawbridge. She had meant to walk on into the Castle, but something drew her toward the moat. She stood looking into the dark, murky water that had almost been her final resting-place. She remembered the feel of the cold, slimy grip on her ankle. When Vandar touched her, it startled her.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.