Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

The sun rose the next day on a busy scene at the Summer Castle, preparations were being made to move out. As Klaron had wisely predicted, nearly two hundred proud warriors had volunteered to form the cadre of Calvar's new army, and all of them were preparing to march.

Sir Klaron and Sir Gannon were both up to their sword hilts in details. When Gannon had asked King Wildar's permission to accompany Vandar to Calvar the King had laughed. "Gannon, old Friend, would you be of any use to me at Castle Zuldar? No, you'd be so worried you wouldn't get anything done. When I assigned my best warrior to my infant Son, I knew it would be for life!"

King Wildar had decided to remain at the Summer Castle for a few weeks, it was several days march closer to Castle Calvar, than was Castle Zuldar, if the new Monarchs ran into any trouble. "Camden and I deserve a vacation, now that the Children are grown." He had said.

Wildar was sending 400 of his remaining forces back to Castle Zuldar and was holding the other 400 in reserve. He was really fooling no one and Linden and Vandar were grateful for the support.

Thankfully, Xandar had elected to go to Calvar with the youngsters. He used the quite plausible excuse that he wished to visit with his Daughter for a time, now that she had been ridden of her detestable Curse.

LINDEN PROVES HERSELF.

Linden would have journeyed to Calvar mounted like the warriors, but Camden prevailed upon her to take her coach. Linden had to admit that she was right. The coach could make the trip, then return to take Camden back to Zuldar easily within the time allowed and it would be infinitely more comfortable for her retinue.

Veralee, Britt, and Kirsten were looking forward to encountering a yet untapped source of male companionship in Calvar; not to mention the two hundred intrepid warriors who would be closely guarding them at all times.

Lorelei helped to keep an eye out on Linden. It worked out well, because Linden was usually not very far from where Vandar was, which was where Sir Gannon usually could be found. They were fast becoming an inseparable foursome.

The force moved out shortly after midden meal, Linden was mounted and rode at the front of the column with Vandar and Klaron. Klaron sent a platoon of scouts out in advance of the column as a precaution when he saw Linden was going to ride. They rode under the old banners of Calvar!

Linden had had the women busy sewing for the last few days and had come up with a riding costume that allowed her room to move while not being too indiscrete. She still changed down to her boy's tunic and breeches for her usual exercise run beside her mount. That Vandar and the other proud warriors would ride while their diminutive Queen ran on foot was definitely not within the realm of the possible!

"We'll end this trip in far better condition than when we left!" Sir Klaron laughed with Vandar as they dismounted for yet another run.

"Father leads into battle from far out in front to excite the men, but he really should see this!" Vandar panted. He looked back over his shoulder at the long column of running warriors trailing behind them. When they finally stopped for rest Queen Linden accompanied Klaron, Gannon, and Vandar back through the ranks to check on the men. Not one of two hundred would admit to being in the least tired, ill, or lame!

That evening after they'd eaten, Linden got out her practice swords. She began one of her daily drills with them. Some of the men gathered around and watched her and asked questions. When the others saw her giving them constructive suggestions and asking for their criticisms in return, most of them joined in also.

Vandar, Sir Klaron, and Sir Gannon were among the group, interjecting favorable comments and watching the mens reactions. When one of the men nudged Vandar and said, "Stars; that little snip of a Queen is quite a swordswoman!" The man hadn't noticed whom he had spoken to.

"That she is!" Vandar agreed. The man recognized his voice and turned to apologize, but Vandar just slapped the soldier on his back in agreement and laughed.

Sir Klaron stepped in and spoke to the men, "I may embarrass Queen Linden when I say this, but she's heard it all before. She has been by far the best student I've ever trained, and now at fifteen summers old she is my equal or better! She ordered me to train her in weapons and warfare at three summers old. If any one of you started right now and if you worked very hard, and had a superb instructor, she'd still be better than you when you're an old man!"

Every one of them had a hearty laugh at the legendary Sir Klaron's joke on them about his beloved student! Coming from him, these men of Calvar believed what they were told, but that still wouldn't deter them from striving to become better at all the weapons skills at which their little warrior Queen they loved excelled!

Lorelei approached the center of the circle. "Would you care for a competition, Linden?"

"Certainly, Lorelei. Friends should know each others strengths," She added, "or weaknesses. What weapons would you care to try?"

"All of them." Lorelei said. In his mind Vandar winced, he knew his Linden possessed a great deal of technical skill and physical toughness, but he'd witnessed Lorelei's deadly and merciless efficiency at killing!

The women headed for the coach to don their protective practice padding. Vandar shadowed Linden, "Watch her, my precious. She's tricky." He cautioned her.

"So am I!" Little Linden reassured him. The women changed clothing, and then they went back to the clearing next to the fire. They saluted each other, crossed swords, and had at it.

The men were amazed at the aggressiveness of the womens attack! They seemed to fly at each other like a couple of little game roosters. The flurry of wild action was almost too swift to follow. Linden's two swords turned the tide. The two swords coming at her at once were finally too much for Lorelei to guard against. She retreated toward the fire, then she threw down her sword.

Linden saluted Lorelei with a sword, "Well fought!" She congratulated the Siren. Both of the women were breathing hard from their exertions. Linden recovered quickly. She went over to her practice weapons and dropped her swords, then she picked up a stack of her practice daggers and began to swiftly juggle them.

Linden had added more moves since her brief stint as the Avenger. Her whirling daggers were switching ends in mid air! "Knives?" She calmly asked Lorelei. She was ignoring the astonished comments of the soldiers for now.

"Archery." Lorelei decided quickly. She went to her bow and picked up some arrows. Vandar thought that you had to admire her tenacity!

Vandar looked around for a target. "There are gourds on the vines hanging from that tree over there, how about them?" He asked the women. In answer, Lorelei swiveled, she drew her bow and instantly released an arrow, all in one swift motion. Her arrow went straight to it's mark, the impaled gourd swung back and forth on the vine.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.