Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Lorelei and the Prince both woke refreshed several hours later when Sir Gannon entered Vandar's room. Gannon told them, "The invaders have us surrounded, Prince Vandar."

"Wonderful, then we've got them exactly where we want them!" The Prince returned cheerfully. "They must have decided to overwhelm us before reinforcements can arrive."

He saw that his loyal Knight's eyes were riveted on the Bewitching form of the Siren. Lorelei was returning his interested gaze openly. As he reached for the Siren to secure her shirt across her large breasts, the Prince thought, "Maybe, with a little luck, I can turn this attraction to all of our advantages."

They accompanied Gannon back to the main hall and Vandar dispatched messengers, one he sent to summon all of the men in the Castle, another he told to bring ropes and he dispatched another to fetch enough quarter staffs for all the warriors. He sent one of the maids to fetch a large quantity of bees wax, which the women used when sewing and for waterproofing garments. They carefully softened the wax over candles and as each man arrived, he was instructed in making efficient earplugs with it.

After he had personally inspected them, to ensure that all of the men had effective earplugs, Vandar posted Sir Gannon and the men at the drawbridge and then he took Lorelei to the top of the highest tower of the Castle.

The enemy could be easily seen from the ramparts. They were busily carrying ladders and setting up crafty engines of warfare. Vandar gaily waved at a group of their leaders who were closely observing him from a nearby rise.

He waited for the all-clear sign from Gannon then he checked his own ear plugs again. He looked at Lorelei's slim throat and willed the stone wall that he had built there to crumble.

At Vandar's nod the Siren reached up and touched her throat with a tentative small hand. She gave a gasp of relief, which the Prince could thankfully only see and not hear. He could see her mouth move as she tried a few notes, then he saw her throat quiver as she began to Sing.

Lorelei's face lit up in rapture as she warmed to her task. A chill ran up Vandar's spine and he blushed as he remembered the hypnotic Song and its potent effects. He purposely looked away from her and sought out the positions of the invaders. Several of the soldiers were already frozen in their tracks. As the Siren continued to Sing, they dropped the weapons and tools they were holding and headed for the Castle.

Vandar was amazed to see the Entranced Men didn't make an effort to approach the area near the drawbridge, but madly leaped into the still, deep waters of the moat.

Those of the men who were dragged to the silent depths by their weapons must have regained enough of their mental acuity to divest themselves of their arms strapped to their waists, because he soon saw most of them resurface. They again resumed their barehanded assault on the impregnable Castle walls.

That the men were not the only beings to be affected by the Siren's song was revealed to Vandar when he spied his wolves in a yard area below. They milled wildly, though they paused at random to throw back their heads and howl mournfully.

Vandar went to the other side of the tower's ramparts and saw that the soldiers below were affected similarly to those out in front. He made a rough count and could tell that if any of the fifty were unaccounted for, it could only be a small number left guarding the camp. He waved his hand at Sir Gannon, who was watching him from the open lower area. This was the signal for his ten-man force to drop the drawbridge and attack!

Vandar had instructed his men to arm themselves with the quarter staffs, along with their regular arms. He had figured that all his men would need to pacify the Entranced enemy would be a good thump. His Father and Gannon had always wisely counciled him that unnecessary killing was only apt to lead to blood feuds.

He watched as the massive drawbridge fell across the moat. The vibrations in his feet caused by its dropping had hardly faded before his small force streamed across it. His men quickly began subduing the struggling men, then began tying them. The only one who came near escaping was a deaf servant, who was turned back from the woods by the alert wolves.

Vandar caught Lorelei's attention and she stilled her Singing reluctantly. He took both of her small hands in his and looked deeply into her eyes. "Thank you for helping us, Lorelei. Today, you have used your Curse for good and have surely saved some of my mens lives. I'm sorry, but I must put the Spell of Silence back on you, but I promise you it will only be until I can find a better compromise."

Lorelei nodded her head in reluctant understanding and Vandar rebuilt the Magic Wall. He took out his earplugs and led Lorelei from the ramparts. By the time they reached the outside of the moat, all signs of resistance had ceased.

The men had gathered most of the prisoners together, except for a few that were still floundering in the moat. Sir Gannon was allowing some of the stronger prisoners to assist their cohorts to safety.

Vandar and Lorelei were met with shouts of acclaim from all of his men. Vandar watched as the Siren's expression changed from one of naive amazement and confusion to amusement as she began to enjoy the mens appreciation.

The men yelled and laughed about the bloodless victory over the much larger force of invaders. This event would soon be bragged about in the barracks and in the taverns all over Zuldar and Calvar!

THE KING ENRAGED

Earlier that day a hard-riding advance scout had returned from the summer Castle with the news it had been placed under siege by a foreign force. Wildar seethed with rage at the insolent affront! As they neared the Castle, he ordered his army to battle formation with himself an arrogant distance out in the lead.

Wildar was famous for using this tactic as a youth in the hellish Wizard Wars. He had often said the warrior's reacted wildly to seeing their Royal leader charging single-handed into battle before them. It stirred their fighting blood like no other tactic he knew.

Linden admired her foster Father more than any man in the world and she fervently wished that she could have even a lowly mounted place in the rear of that glorious formation. The dramatic beat of the battle drums and bugles rang in Linden's head and in her heart!

She watched out of the Queen's coach as Sir Klaron ordered the handpicked escort he commanded to close ranks around the coach. This seemed to give Camden and Linden's friends a feeling of security, but it only frustrated Linden because they obstructed so much of her view!

THE REUNION

Back at the Castle yard, Sir Gannon forgot himself for a moment and swept Lorelei off her feet, he danced her around in unsuppressed elation. She seemed to love the unaccustomed voluntary affection! Vandar watched them closely, he was thinking that his long-range plans for them might be completed easier than he had ever believed.

Sir Gannon dragged Lorelei over to Vandar by one hand, he released her and grasped his Prince's shoulders "Vandar, that was a perfect example of a brilliant tactical victory!"

"It was easy; I had a perfectly brilliant teacher!" Vandar returned modestly for all of the men to hear. "After we've secured the prisoners and stowed away their weapons, I'll lead a scouting party to their camp. I want to make certain that this bunch won't cause us any more trouble."

Xandar came out of the Castle to view the results of the attack on their position. He was much gratified to see that his Daughter's fearsome Powers had been used for a defensive, and relatively bloodless victory.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.