Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar! - Cover

Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Chapter 6

As Linden had fled up the stairs in retreat, she had heard Vandar shout after her he was only jesting, but by that time she was beyond reasoning with. She ran into her rooms and fell onto her couch in despair. Sir Klaron followed her in; he sat down beside her and drew her into his arms without saying a word. She turned to him as she had so many times before. She clung to his familiar strong chest and cried her eyes out.

Vandar's jest about her having put an enchantment on him had hurt her feelings incredibly. She loved him so deeply and wanted to tell him so, but she didn't know how to say it. Her deep emotions and frustrations about their relationship had all seemed to surface at once and her poised and Regal facade had crumbled into a sea of tears. That she had acted just like an emotional young girl in front of Vandar mortified her even more!

Klaron tried his best to calm her. "Vandar's obviously deeply in love with you, Your Majesty. He's just young and unskilled at courting, the same as you."

"No, no." She cried. "He couldn't possibly love anyone so stupid and ugly!"

"Oh, but he does! You're anything but stupid and ugly, you're graceful and beautiful and smart, as most of the smitten young men of the Kingdom have already told you." Sir Klaron insisted as he hugged her close. "I've seen the way Vandar looks at you and he no longer thinks of you as a little Sister. I could have a man to man talk with him and straighten this misunderstanding out."

"No, please don't, Klaron! He'd think I was really stupid then." She said. Linden refused to believe Klaron's consoling words. She felt so stupid and undeserving of anyone's love. She decided she would just linger on, somehow.

She fantasized Vandar would marry a noble woman who was beautiful but cold, while she would become an old maid. She would be a loving Aunt to his Children and then she would spoil his grand Children as an aging dowager. She would die a wrinkled old Virgin, still pining for Vandar's love. He might even come to her on her deathbed and tell her of his life-long regret he hadn't chosen her, instead of his own cold Wife.

A servant knocked on Linden's door and summoned Klaron away to a meeting with the King. Before he left, he promised to check on her later.

AN IMPORTANT DECISION

Vandar found the King in the council hall with his advisers. He entered and bowed reverently to his Sire, as he was always very careful to do in public. All of the advisers had risen and bowed to Vandar, including Klaron, who the King especially relied on when making decisions about Calvar.

The King asked with some amusement as he welcomed his heir, "You wanted something, Vandar, or perhaps you're developing an interest in commerce at last?" He knew well Vandar had inherited his own preference for action, though he dutifully excelled at his studies,

"No, Father. I've come to petition you to allow me to convey your message to Xandar. I would enjoy the time on the road and it would be a good time for me to try my own hand at commanding a troop."

"But Vandar, You're not but ... Wait, you are sixteen summers old now, aren't you?" The advisers all nodded sagely in affirmation. The King scratched his chin with one big hand. Vandar knew, from years of studying his Father's volatile moods, he was seriously considering his Son's future.

Vandar spoke up with pride. "Sire, you commanded your first army in battle in the Wizard Wars at fifteen summers."

Baron Jancor, the senior advisor, interjected. "Your Majesty, it's true, and you were named by Xandar to the Order of Heroes of the Realm at seventeen."

Though an inexperienced warrior, Vandar instinctively knew when to press an attack. "And you ascended to the Throne of Zuldar at eighteen." He continued to press his advantage.

The King looked around in consternation. "Well, I had hoped to allow both my Son and my Daughter a few more years of youth to squander than I had before I was put into harness."

He looked fondly at Vandar and laid a big hand on his shoulder. "I have long planned your Marriage to Linden, whom you know your Mother and I love as if she were our own Daughter." Vandar's heart leaped beneath his tunic!

The King continued. "Calvar needs a strong Monarchy and you're in line of succession for that Throne. As Count Sir Klaron can tell you, we've had some serious troubles with rebels there recently and it seems the will of the people there may be leaning toward independence from Zuldar."

"Your Marriage and Linden's Ascention to her Throne should consolidate the people of the two Kingdoms strongly." The King sighed and said reluctantly, "I suppose it is time I quit being a slackard and did my duty to the two Kingdoms and gave you your first command. You will lead the delegation to Xandar, as you have requested."

The King rose and was joined by his advisers in slapping Vandar on the back and embracing him. This gave the stunned youth a little time to gather his wits about him. Of course, he told himself, he should have known what his Father's plans for Linden and him would be. After all, he had always known Royalty didn't Marry for love, but only for duty. Love was left to chance after all the proper political alliances were made.

The King spoke again. "I believe this would be a politically advantageous time to announce your Betrothal; then we'll prepare for your Marriage while you're gone. We'll have the ceremony immediately upon your return."

King Wildar shouted for his steward to bring wine; he proposed the first toast to Vandar's and Linden's Betrothal. Sir Klaron looked thoughtful for a long moment, then he carefully phrased the second toast. "To an understanding young Prince and our beautiful Princess, who adores him above all else!" He looked intently at Vandar, as if he were trying to convey a message to him. Vandar's mind was whirling too much to think properly, but he fervently wished Sir Klaron's toast could someday come true!

Vandar sipped sparingly of the excellent vintage wine. All he could think of was how he could slip away to tell poor Linden of this to spare her first hearing of the King's decision through the ever alert palace grapevine or from her loyal Count Klaron.

As soon as he could gracefully do so, Vandar embraced his Father warmly and took his leave of him. His head whirled with conflicting emotions as he ran through the palace corridors to Linden's rooms, which were still on the same level as his and his Parent's suites.

Meanwhile, Lady Veralee of the Rosy Cheeks, one of Linden's closest Friends, had come into Linden's suite as Klaron had left. She told Linden, "One of the servants told me you were upset, Dearest!"

Linden could only cry in answer to Veralee's question. This upset her good-hearted Friend so much that she started crying in sympathy. The fiery Kirsta the Scarlet Tressed and the blonde beauty, Brit of the Lilting Voice came by looking for the others, and when they saw how upset Linden and Veralee were they started crying, too!

After a while of this, Kirsta showed her practical side and asked Veralee, "What in the Stars are we all crying about?"

Veralee answered. "I don't know. I'm only upset because Linden was crying!" The three young Ladys burst out laughing at the utter absurdity of the situation. This brought Linden out of her depression long enough for her to explain why she had been crying to begin with. "Vandar said he thought I may have put an Enchantment on him. I love him so desperately and it's only too obvious he despises me!"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.