Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar! - Cover

Princess Linden, the Avenger of Calvar!

Copyright© 2010 by BikeWriter

Chapter 2

They resumed their flight much refreshed. Sir Klaron wanted to get as far from the spring as swiftly as possible but he quartered away from the nearest border with Zuldar to throw off any pursuit. They skirted some small farms and avoided several groups of refugees and platoons of searching troops.

One small contingent of troops came across their path just as they were approaching a road. Klaron belatedly heard the trampling of feet and drew Linden back into the brush.

Klaron tried to be careful of hurting her but the only brush they had been close to contained long thorns. He covered her little body with his the best he could and drew further into its concealment. He stoically ignored the sharp pain of the punctures he received.

Sir Klaron looked at his Princess's face to see a silent grimace of pain on her little face. He looked down at her tiny hand to see her Royal blood welling around a thorn that had pierced her palm. Klaron started moving, he had quickly decided he would first remove her from the painful brush then he would kill everyone in the small patrol!

Linden had already guessed what he would do when he saw she was injured, she placed the tiny index finger of her other hand on his lips to silence and still him. He saw the pride she had in him reflected in her tear-filled eyes as she smiled at him through her tears. The troops passed within a man's stride of them without detecting them.

After the troops were gone, Klaron pulled the painful thorn from Linden's hand and carefully removed her from the bush. She helped him to remove the numerous thorns that had punctured his tougher hide.

"I'm very sorry, Princess. I went into the closest cover and I didn't have time to check for thorns." Sir Klaron apologized to Linden.

"You took your many wounds for me in silence, Klaron. I merely did my own duty." Linden replied stoically. Sir Klaron smiled respectfully at his tiny Princess as he wondered just when she had completely stolen his heart!

The next day Sir Klaron had to leave Linden as carefully concealed as a little fawn at the edge of a cultivated field just long enough for him to furtively harvest some carrots and turnips to add to their meager larder.

When Sir Klaron came back with the foraged vegetables in the borrowed cape, the first things he saw of Linden were her big brown eyes. His heart went out to the little hungry Child. "I'm sorry it's not meat, Your Highness, but all of the animals seem to have wisely left the country, besides, we'd have to eat the meat raw if we had some. We don't dare light a fire."

Linden loved the raw carrots and sorely missed them when they ran out of them. Klaron encouraged her to eat some of the nourishing greens and roots of the turnips. They were bitter and not to her taste raw, but she dutifully ate some anyway, knowing they would give her the strength to go on.

Little Linden had remained silent for most of one day. Finally, during one of their rests, she decided to discuss their tormentors with Sir Klaron. "Why do these people want to harm us? What have we done to them?"

Klaron thought for a moment, then he spoke. "You don't have to do anything to evil people for them to want to harm you. I'm taking you to King Wildar, your Father's Cousin. I've met him and he reminds me of your Father. He was married to Queen Camden a few years ago and they've got a Son who is only a little older than you."

"Then they're good people?" Linden wanted to know.

"They're the best! King Wildar and their Wizard, Xandar, have been our allies in our long fight. You can trust them as you trust me, Your Majesty." Their day ended as it had begun, with them sleeping in concealment.

Klaron had found a large hollow log and swept it clear with twigs. He then lined a bed for them with sweet grasses and soft boughs from a tree. It made a snug retreat. He woke her early and they traveled hard into the early afternoon.

Since they were now far enough from Calvar's Castle to drastically thin any searchers and they weren't being hard pressed, Klaron began to confine their traveling hours to the safer hours of darkness. The forced marches and lean fare had hardened both of them. They continued to scavenge for edible berries, bird eggs, nuts, and other vegetation.

Linden seldom cried, and she bravely tried to give in to her sadness only when Klaron wasn't watching. The constant struggle to survive strictly limited such luxuries as grief.

Linden and Klaron usually talked so much now they kept the monotony of the constant foot travel at bay. He admiringly told her one day he was learning as much from her as she did from him.

From constantly relying on each other, they had grown much closer. Linden felt such love and gratitude for all Klaron was doing for her that one morning she gathered and wove a garland of wild flowers from patches along their route. Klaron watched her and wondered what she was going to do with them.

Linden suddenly turned to him and spoke. "Kneel, Sir Klaron." The amused Knight obeyed instantly and knelt respectfully before her "Of course, you are already a Knight of the Realm of Calvar." She said officially.

She touched him on each shoulder with the garland, then she placed it on his head. "Our armys are defeated or scattered, but for your loyal service to your Princess and to Calvar, I now name you the Commander of all my armys. When I become the Queen of Calvar that will mean something. Arise, Commander Sir Klaron."

Three summers old Linden stood Regally with her hands on her hips and a serious look on her face. Klaron could not supress a smile, but he tried his best to be as serious and pompous as she as he stood. He bowed deeply to her and kissed her hand.

"Thank you, Your Highness. Though I am truly unworthy of such an exalted office, I humbly and gratefully accept your gift. Regretably, the celebration feast will have to wait until we find another berry patch or bird nest." They went on hand in hand and Klaron proudly wore the garland until it fell apart.

They had journeyed a total of about ten suns and Klaron thought they were probably across the border and into the Kingdom of Zuldar before they saw anyone else. Klaron heard the troops well before they saw them. He heard the clank of metal and he swept Linden off her feet and ran into the nearest brush. The troops came steadily onward.

Linden and Klaron caught sight of the army across the clearing. They bore the purple battle banners of Zuldar! A wizened old individual riding a white mule unerringly led them forward. Klaron recognized Xandar, riding beside him on a huge Unicorn was a very large warrior; he saw it was King Wildar himself.

Klaron told Linden. "We're safe now, Princess. You're about to meet your Kinsman, King Wildar the Ever Benevolent."

Linden brushed her hair away from her face with her dirty fingers. Even at her tender age she was feminine and vain enough to realize how ragged she must look after so many days of running and hiding in the woods. She decided her pride and dignity would have to stand in for her lack of tidiness. She walked out into the clearing as the large contingent of men approached and stopped.

"King Wildar, I am Princess Linden of Calvar." Linden curtsied, then bowed her head. "My Father and Mother sent me to you. Their wish was that I ask Kin's privilege of you." Linden bravely spoke the formal words of supplication she had often heard in Calvar's Court.

The youthful King Wildar leaped from his tall steed. He was resplendant in his brilliant suit of golden armor and the grandeur of the armor was exaggerated by his large size. He had long curly brown hair, and a wild mane of a beard. The wild eyebrows that met on the crag over his aristocratic nose and piercing brown eyes boasted more fur than most animal pelts.

He looked down at the woebegone, but proud, tiny figure before him with pity and rage vying for space in his strong heart! One question was in his mind, what being would dare do this to his Kinsman? The existence of the poorest servant in his Kingdom was better than this poor Child's had been of late.

"Welcome to Zuldar, Child of my blood!" Wildar knelt on one knee and opened his strong arms to Linden. He had cast aside his other emotions and decided that more than anything, at this moment, he felt pride and love for this beautiful small Child!

Linden looked up questioningly at Sir Klaron. He nodded his head affirmatively and smiled and she rushed into Wildar's welcoming arms. He hugged her to him; he impulsively kissed her dirty cheeks and tiny hands. He told her, "You're safe now, Dearest Linden. Xandar's scouts told us of your plight. I'm so sorry we weren't in time to save the rest of our Family, but we've already brought many of their abominable slayers to swift justice!"

The King held Linden close and stood as he peered at Klaron. He stuck out a big calloused hand. "You're Sir Klaron, aren't you?" As Klaron respectfully bowed over their clasped hands, Wildar continued. "I thought you looked familiar and then I saw your two swords. My beloved Cousin was quite fond and proud of you, and spoke of you often. You will be richly rewarded for saving his and dear Margo's Child for us, Queen Camden and I have both been sick with worry for her!"

"I only did as I was sworn to do, King Wildar. Just as I am willing to die to avenge their deaths. I was fighting beside King Amadar, when ... but that can wait until later." Sir Klaron wisely considered Linden's feelings.

"I will send both of you to Castle Zuldar with an escort after you have been fed and rested." King Wildar said. "Don't look so disappointed, brave Sir Klaron. Our Princess Linden still needs your strength and I am determined to see you rewarded with some much needed rest before I allow you back into the thick of the fighting!"

"Linden, my Queen will be delighted to see you, my Dear. We have both always wanted a little Girl, but the Stars haven't blessed us with one as yet, and our own young Prince will be overjoyed to have another Royal Child close to his own age to play and study with."

Linden loved King Wildar instantly. He was almost as lovable as he was big and strong. It was plain to see from his men's relaxed but respectful ways around him that he was just as popular a King as her own dear Father had been.

Wildar made them as comfortable as possible and he gave them some freshly smoked meat from his own stores that tasted heavenly. He talked with her for a while about his own Queen and Prince. She thought she could tell he did this because he wanted her to be comfortable in meeting them and also because he missed them terribly. After saying their farewells Wildar promised to see them again soon and sent them on to their new home.

The trip onward to the Kingdom of Zuldar's Castle was one of luxury and ease as compared to their unprovisioned flight on foot. Linden and Klaron welcomed the freshly cooked meat and dried fruit provided by Wildar's scouts, and they rode easily instead of walking. Riding the friendly Unicorns did sadden Linden, for she had known and deeply loved all of the Unicorns that had been martyred at Castle Calvar.

CASTLE ZULDAR

On the day they were due to arrive at King Wildar's Castle, Linden arose and did her best to groom herself properly. It was one thing to present a dignified front before the King and the rough warriors in the field, but today she would meet a young and beautiful Queen.

When they arrived at the Castle, the King's steward showed them to their rooms. Queen Camden had been informed of their coming, but had thoughtfully delayed their first audience until they were properly groomed and attired. Both Linden and Klaron found suitable fresh clothing of various sizes available in their suites along with helpful maids and stewards to assist them.

The luxury of a warm bath, shampoo, and clean clothing greatly refreshed Linden. The maids assisted her in dressing and then in brushing the wild tangles and burrs from her long auburn hair.

The maids showed her a variety of jewelry the Queen had provided for her from which she made several attractive selections. When she had finished dressing and stood in front of a mirror, she almost frightened herself by how lean and tanned she looked; this leanness seemed to draw one's attention immediately to her big brown eyes.

Klaron was waiting alertly in the vast hallway for her when she reappeared. She proudly told her Knight she thought him very handsome indeed, in clothing befitting one of his lofty station. He, in turn, was very gallant in admiring his tiny Princess in her new finery.

The steward asked them to follow him to the Queen's sitting room. Both Linden and Klaron felt relief that their first meeting with the tactful Queen would be in a relaxed private setting. They followed the polite steward down the hall to a large door; he opened it and bowed before them as he ushered them in.

A very young and beautiful woman sat on a large couch at the other end of the big room. She was Queen Camden the Eternally Beauteous, a woman who truly deserved her Wizard given name. Her long blonde hair and deep blue eyes were set off by a captivating smile of welcome! Linden walked forward and curtsied as Sir Klaron went to one knee behind her.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.