Battlemage: Book 9 - Glimpses Into Tomorrow
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2010 by Risq

~Interlude~

Kathryn was soon to arrive in the latest city of Port Johnston looking for anyone that had any information about Elliot.

Port Johnston was seaport town that sat high on the water and had lots of shoals, coves, and various little caves that often filled with water at high tide all around the city.

While she wasn't happy that she didn't find anything in the last city, she still was happy how she helped out the women who were kidnapped and who were going to be sold as sex slaves. She was still impressed that she could be so helpful to others without having to do it under the cover of darkness.

Freeing those women was the first time she had used her power for someone else's sake and not as a form of punishment for those who she felt wronged her.

While Kathryn didn't go after men she marked for death anymore, any man who wouldn't take no for an answer, like in the last city, she eventually gave in and slept with them.

But she made them work hard at it.

Soon after they did the deed she always took just a touch of essence from them to fuel her powers, but not enough to keep them out for days, just enough to make them sleep through the night.

It also helped her build up her reserves of power. She wouldn't ever be caught flat footed again like she was before when she was almost sold as a slave.

But she always did everything in her power to dissuade the men to leave her alone, and she made it a point to never go after any of them. Some men took the hint and just quietly stared at her with longing, but others kept pressing until she eventually gave in.

She could have had a bed mate every night if she chose, but she didn't want it to get back to Elliot when she found him that she was easy. He handled her relationship with William and his friends so badly that she didn't want to do anything to make him remember that time, and that was the primary driving factor that made her try to put so many of them off.

While lost in thought on the road to the current city she was headed too, which she could now see off in the distance about a mile or so away, she saw a man coming from another side road. It was one that came out from the other side of the forest and started to run right along side her road.

Soon the two roads would join and they would be walking together in the same direction.

While she traveling alone she knew there wasn't anything the man could do to harm her, so she didn't feel threatened by him, but she was preparing herself for yet another request for her to join the man at the nearest room in the first Inn they came across. It seemed that was the only thing most men wanted from her, she thought.

The man she noticed had light brown hair, was clean shaven, and had a light pack on his shoulders. He was dressed in homespun shirt and pants that were both different degrees of light brown in color.

"Howdy Miss, nice weather we're having," said the man cheerfully.

"Yes it is pleasant. It helps that it's so mild today. When one travels that always helps," said Kathryn as she walked on. Soon they were sharing the road as they headed to the city.

For a moment they both walked side by side silently, lost in their thoughts.

"Here it comes. Soon he'll comment on my looks and offer to pay for a room for some of my time, as if that would be compensation enough," thought Kathryn darkly.

While she had a pleasant look on her face she wasn't looking for this to play out any differently than it had hundreds of times before.

But she was surprised that the man was staying on his side of the road.

He didn't come any closer and didn't try to crowd her. If anything he was humming a happy tune with a large smile on his face as he kept looking ahead as if she wasn't even there.

"I see you're happy about something. May I ask what it is?" asked Kathryn when she couldn't stand the curiosity any more. Something she couldn't put her finger on made her ask that question.

"My wife, the love of my life, was taken from me in the middle of the night a number of weeks back. I thought I would never see her again and I traveled to a couple of cities and towns looking for anyone who might have any information about who took her.

"I just left the town I'm coming back from after a week of looking, and I found that she and some other ladies had already been rescued by a female mage. They say that the mage was very powerful and punished the men all for taking them.

"I also found out my wife had already headed back home and should be back with my son and daughter by now. So I'm so happy I can't contain myself. I just wish I knew who to thank for giving her back to me," said the man with a large smile as he turned and looked back down the road again.

Kathryn looked at him in shock.

This wasn't going the way she expected. She expected him, regardless of if he had wife or not, to try to proposition her. But he wasn't and he was openly talking about his wife and children instead of hiding them. Not to mention he didn't know she was the mage in question he was talking about.

"Wow that sounds incredible. I'm happy for you. What happened?" asked Kathryn wondering where the man's story would go.

As the man talked he told her about how he was working at the local Mill in the city, one of four they had, and his wife was at the market by herself last, best he could find out. And when she was on her way back she never arrived at home.

He and the kids eventually returned to find her not there. They found out that one other local woman had also gone missing and no one knew where she was either. When he went to the next town to find out what happened he found out that a couple of their women had went missing the week before.

The man made a tight loop around the country side only to find reports of other missing women. He realized that they were being kidnapped to be sold into sexual slavery.

But at the last town that completed his circle he found that his wife had been saved and was already on her way back. She had traveled back ahead of him and it had taken him a week to get back home. The kids in the mean time had been watched by relatives.

As Kathryn looked at him in shock, the man went on to tell her about how much he loved her and how important she was too him. He talked about his family and his kids and how important it was for their mother to be in their lives.

Kathryn was again shocked.

She never expected this from any man. Not one with such strong family ties, enough that just being around her didn't tempt him into trying for her attention.

A couple times in curiosity while he was talking she used just a touch of glamour to see if he would notice and respond, but he never even seemed to notice while he was talking about his family. She didn't want to tempt him, but she had to know if it was faked or not.

Before long they were out of the forest and nearing the city walls.

"Well Miss, I enjoyed your company and it's too bad we have to part ways here," started the Man as he reached to shake her hand.

"Oh, that was just a smokescreen. I should have known he was luring me in with all that talk. Now comes his sales pitch," thought Kathryn.

"My name is Weston Farmer, and my wife's name is Maureen. If you ever want a good home cooked meal I could try, but my wife's cooking is better. I'm sure she would like to meet someone as pleasant as you," said Weston

"Whaa..." started Kathryn caught off guard.

Again this wasn't what she expected.

You don't look like you have a lot of money and those vultures in town will try to either pick you clean or force you to do other things, if you know what I mean, to make ends meet. You look like too nice a girl for that. Besides my wife is back and I'd like to celebrate if I could," smiled Weston.

Kathryn tried to beg off, but Weston wouldn't take no for an answer and while they were debating it a little blonde haired girl about five or six seasons old came up crying out "Daddy! Mommy, look it's Daddy!" and hugged him around his knees.

Looking down the man said "Debra! How's my little jewel doing today?" and then he quickly picked her up.

It took the man a moment to notice that Kathryn hadn't moved but then he looked up at her and then the direction his wife must have been from where his daughter came and saw his wife standing staring at Kathryn with both her hands over her mouth.

"My god it's you," finally whispered Maureen.

"Have you met?" asked Weston.

"It's her. She the one who rescued me and the others," said Maureen.

"Well you have a real reason to help us celebrate now," said Weston as he let little Debra down.

Once on ground the little girl looked up with big eyes and asked, "Did you really save my mommy from the bad men?"

Kathryn tried not to let her question effect her, but she found her eyes swimming as she watched such a tiny girl look at her in awe.

"Yes, but she helped too," said Kathryn quietly as she nodded at the little girl.

"Please let me fix something for you," said Maureen.

Before Kathryn realized it she let herself be talked into having dinner with the Farmers.


Before Kathryn realized it she had accepted their offer to stay with them for a few days while she looked for any information on Elliot.

She didn't tell them everything, but Kathryn told them she was trying to find out about her old boyfriend who she had a chance to marry, but didn't.

Now she wanted to see if there was any chance that could be changed. She was hoping the fact she was searching for him to be enough to make him want to be with her.

Maureen just nodded in understanding, but Weston commented how dangerous it was for a young woman to be on the road by herself.

Maureen was going to comment it was more dangerous for anyone who crossed her, but Kathryn quickly made a small fireball in her hand and said she didn't know of anyone who could cast faster than her.

With the sudden appearance of magic Weston had to rethink his position.

One thing that Kathryn was impressed with was that once Maureen finished cooking and dinner was finished Weston cleaned up all the dishes used without a word as if it was a practiced motion by him. And for the few days she was there he always was the one to put little Debra to bed.

His son Jeff was twelve so he could put himself to bed. But his father always read his daughter a story and checked on the kids while he let Maureen unwind.

Kathryn asked Maureen one night after Weston left if he was doing this because he was happy she was back or because they had company, but Maureen said Weston always did this from the day the children were born.

But during the days Kathryn spent her time looking for information on Elliot and her nights were spent with the Farmers. She noticed that there weren't quite as many men in town as one would expect in a city this large. There were plenty of women and children, but they outnumbered the men noticeably.

The only time she got wind of what might have caused that was when a couple of women came by looking for one of their husbands.

After Maureen talked with them for awhile they left. Kathryn, not wanting to intrude sat and listened, but after they left she wanted to know what was going on.

"What was that all about? They said that another man had gone missing? What was that? Your men often go missing like this?" asked Kathryn.

"We don't know. I'm sure you've noticed that there are fewer men around than there should be. That's because for some reason, no matter what time of night it might be, the men suddenly get this strange look on their faces and then disappear into the night never to be seen again. Sometimes it will be months between disappearances and other times it will be with-in days of each other.

"Tonight Mabel's husband Douglas just walked off and she hasn't been able to find him. The strangest part is that as soon as the men who disappear hit the edge of town, all traces of them are gone. Most of the trails seem to disappear at the ocean. Many a man has disappeared and left his family to fend for themselves," said Maureen sadly

"Does anyone know what happens to them?" asked Kathryn.

"No, and that's strange too. It's been happening for as long as I can remember, but no one who leaves like that is ever seen again," said Maureen.

Kathryn hoped she was wrong, but something told her she might know what it was.


Kathryn might have been able to leave the city in a week of first arriving, but something changed her plans.


She was telling the Farmer family at dinner that she was going to be leaving soon when Weston's face took on a strange look.

Kathryn might not have noticed, as engrossed with talking to Debra as she was, except Maureen jumped up from her seat across from her husband and started screaming "NO, NO! Not WESTON! NOOOOOO!"

Weston slowly got up from the table and started for the door. His eyes were blank and he seemed to be looking off into the distance.

As Maureen lunged for him, there as a wicked static discharge and she fell unconscious to the floor. Kathryn quickly ran around the table to grab her because it looked as if she was going to fall into the fireplace next to her.

Before she turn back around Weston was gone from sight.

Suddenly there was a tiny ball of yellow hair screaming and crying that dropped to the floor as she cried out "Please save my daddy! I don't want him to go away forever! Please save my daddy!" over and over again.

As she was trying to quiet her down Kathryn used the succubus side of her magic to listen for what she was sure she would hear.

Having been given her power via Maxwell she could feel the pull or hear when other magical creatures where in a close proximity to her. Even though she couldn't feel a pull, with her being this close to the water as she was, she was sure she would be able to hear the song. And she was right.

She could hear the call of a Siren close by.

It was singing a tune that the targeted man would never be able to resist. It was similar to her power over men once they looked into her eyes or she cast a glamour around herself, but she didn't eat her victims and always had the choice to leave them alive, an option that she had been exercising 'a lot' lately.

Once she was able to lock onto where it was generally coming from she checked Maureen. She was ok. She had been knocked out, but wasn't seriously harmed.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.