Robert Jenkins
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Dr. Kournikova, my New York doctor, said on the phone, "Dr. Sharapova is here. She has developed something that she thinks could help you. If you're interested, she could see you here?"

I asked, "When would you like me to come? I'm very interested."

"Could you come now? We need to have some tests done before we see you. We can both see you during lunch."

I said, "I'm on my way."

I took a taxi to the Columbia Medical School part of the Presbyterian complex. I was immediately sent to the hospital lab where they took blood, urine, tissue and endocrine system samples and did a die study of my leg and arm. A physiology resident tested my muscle strength, rotation and took tissue samples.

Dr. Kournikova and Dr. Sharapova had the lab results when they examined me at noon. Dr. Sharapova, my San Francisco doctor, said, "I've isolated a hormone that I think can help rebuild your injured area. I wouldn't recommend surgery otherwise. The problem is we don't know the side effects. I have enough with me to get you started, but you'll need to be monitored closely for two weeks. Then I'll need weekly specimens sent to me and I'll need to see you monthly. I will be back in New York in the middle of January. I could see you here the first time."

"How much improvement do you expect?"

Dr. Kournikova said, "We're not sure. We think it likely that there will be a moderate to high level of improvement. It's the side effects that are more problematic. And there is a recovery risk from surgery on your scar tissue that would precede the treatment. Your leg has one area of scar tissue that needs repair for you to gain much improvement in function."

"What are the side effects?" One thing I like about the Russians, they don't waffle. They really lay it out and tell you what they think.

Dr. Sharapova said, "Sterility, secondary sex trait changes, aggressive behavior personality disorder, altered brain chemistry, tumors, and weight gain. The potential for positive and negative effects are strong. We'd have to monitor you closely. Without close monitoring it would be much too risky."

"Those are serious side effects. How close to normal would my muscles become?"

Dr. Sharapova said, "I expect that repair of the scar tissue area and compensation would allow for near normal functioning, but I don't think you will be close to being a competitive athlete. I expect you will be able to jog, golf normally and do most things young men can do strength wise. With proper physical therapy, you shouldn't have pain with normal activities, including recreational sports. Extreme marathons, things like power weight lifting and contact sports would be very foolish.

"That's what I expect, but there are no guarantees. Without the medication, you wouldn't have much improvement. I think it likely you will have minor temporary side effects. My guess is about ten percent probability for any long term serious ones. My best estimate is a fifty percent chance for near normal functioning."

"How long would I take this medication?"

Dr. Sharapova said, "More than six months would be too risky. We should have a good result in four and stop."

"When could you do the surgery?"

Dr. Kournikova asked, "When did you eat last?"

"I had bagels, cream cheese, and coffee this morning about seven."

Dr. Kournikova said, "We could do it after eight this evening, but I'd rather wait until tomorrow morning first thing. Is there a reason to rush? We need to flush your digestive track for the dietary supplements that are necessary for the medication to be effective and it's better for safety to wait until tomorrow. It's very important for you to stay on the diet. We can start the medication in the hospital and monitor you closely tomorrow."

Dr. Sharapova said, "Tomorrow morning would be good."

Dr. Kournikova said, "I'd prefer you stay two nights and not use the arm or leg during that time. Better would be for you to go home Saturday mid morning, after you've had medication.

Dr. Sharapova asked, "Is this too much for during the holidays?"

I asked, "Would gains be permanent?"

Dr. Kournikova said, "It shouldn't atrophy because the medication stops You will need to continue exercise."

"For the possibility of pain free normal functioning, I'm willing to take the risks and follow the diet. I'll try to read my school texts for the three days, while I'm in the hospital. I'll plan to leave on Saturday morning, with no complications."

Dr. Sharapova said, "You were an excellent patient before. You followed the diet, exercise and medication regiment; that's why I willing to allow you to try this higher risk medication. I don't have approval for a large scale trial, but I can try it with you because you were approved for the other trial. It's above board."

Dr. Kournikova said, "You'll need to drink this solution tonight to flush out your intestines. Nothing but water for the rest of the day and nothing after midnight. Tomorrow night you should be able start your diet."

Dr. Sharapova said, "It's almost the same diet as before, except some of the vitamins and supplements are a little different. I can't stress enough you need to follow the diet."

Dr. Kournikova said, "We can send a lab technician to your apartment for specimens every morning and evening, until we get the dosage where you numbers are stable. After you leave, it's very important to monitor the lab results so the dosage level is correct and catch any side effects quickly."

Dr. Kournikova gave me a jug and an envelope of powdered mix to pour in the jug and drink.

I called Grandfather and told him about the operation and that I was getting new medication to help my leg and arm. I was afraid he would think something had happened to me. He suggested I go back to the apartment and try to relax.

I took a taxi back to Grandfather's apartment. There Jan and I went over the diet and she readied my room to be a hospital room. The diet was almost the same as before. She said that the new food items on the diet wouldn't be a problem. Just a few new things were on the diet and a few new cooking methods were required. She said she would show me how to fix what was required and she would prepare a lot of it to take so that when I went back to school, I could stay on diet.

Grandfather called. "Would you have time to go at the Macarthur Airport to look a couple of planes now? I know it's not the best time, but I thought it might be good to take care of getting a plane, before you had the operation."

"I'd love to look for an airplane. Now is a good time; I need to be doing something."

He said, "Take a taxi from the apartment to the train. Someone from the airplane brokerage will meet you at the station. Brooke is meeting Will at the Macarthur stop at six and will pick you up. She wants to take you to see Roselawns after you look at the planes."

"I better go now or I'll get stuck in traffic."

I checked to make sure I had my pilot license and cash, then I took a cab to Penn Station and got the Long Island Railroad. At the train stop at Macarthur Airport, a driver with a sign waited to take me to the aircraft broker at the field, where the broker waited. Grandfather said that he came highly recommended.

After greeting, he said, "I can get you the top of the line in a new Piper, Beech or Aero Commander. We can have a new plane outfitted to your specification. I also have three older twins that I can recommend. They're corporate aircraft that I sold and have maintained since they were new. These aircraft have that has just been through Level I maintenance and are ready to go. I have an older twin with around two hundred engine hours and several single engine models; but your grandfather said you wanted a large twin. The prices are all book and I guarantee that all are solid aircraft."

I flew the three twins and liked the Aero Commander 680 FLP best. It seemed by far the most comfortable and I thought Grandfather would like it best. I liked that she had upgraded state of the art avionics and an upgraded pressurization/backup oxygen system. With the fuel tanks full, the Commander's range made New York City to Fairhope with about an hour's fuel to spare. Because of prevailing winds from the west, New Orleans was the outer limit of the plane's range from the City. The instructor pilot, who flew with me to test the planes, said he thought the company that owned the plane, was anxious enough to sell, and would sell for the base price and throw in the avionics and upgrades.

"I called Grandfather and he finalized the deal with the broker. He bought the Aero Commander for the base price and we received familiarization and hanger storage as part of the purchase price. He broker wanted us to do the maintenance at his facility. The instructor pilot completed the orientation immediately. It didn't take long as we had stayed up in the Aero Commander longer and had a longer orientation on our test flight. After I completed the orientation, I felt comfortable flying the plane. I hated to leave her. I would have loved to fly Carolyn to Stowe, but I knew the operation would preclude that. I hoped I would be able to fly the plane back to Tuscaloosa. I got the manuals and walked to the owners' parking area, as Brooke pulled in.

It was just before six when Brooke picked me up. We met Will at the train stop and went to Roselawns.

Will asked, "Did you get a new Beech? I heard it was really something."

I said, "I got an almost new Aero Commander, similar to the Lauderdale plane that Hub sent to take us to Fairhope."

Brooke said, "That was a nice plane."

Will asked, "Isn't the Beech faster?"

I said, "The Aero Commander is larger, quieter, and more comfortable. She's not a fast, but she's proven and reliable. The one I got was a corporate plane and had much fewer airframe hours than most corporate planes. They had installed state of the art avionics, which was worth a great deal to me. I especially like the instrumentation, since I will be piloting her alone most of the time. She just had a complete engine overhaul, her annual, and she's as good as new. The inside's a little larger, carries more luggage, and is more comfortable than the Lauderdale plane. She has turbo-charged engines, an extend fuselage, and a pressurized cabin. I think Grandfather will like her if we have to go somewhere in her. Pressurized cabins are more comfortable."

Brooke asked, "Are you planning to fly Grandfather to Alabama?"

"No, I'd rather Grandfather fly commercial to Atlanta or New Orleans and have me pick him up there. It'd be much faster for him. Fairhope is close to the end of my plane's range. I'd prefer to make a fueling stop near the Virginia-Tennessee line, but at cruising speed and altitude, it should make it within the safety margin to Fairhope. I want to fly down in her. I don't mind refueling and taking the extra time, but I don't think Grandfather would. It's a lot larger plane than I need most of the time. She can carry eleven, including the pilot and copilot. I feel safer in a larger plane, especially if the weather's bad or I'm going over water to the Vineyard or Nantucket. Mostly, Grandfather will feel more comfortable in it. It's a lot of money."

Will said, "Don't give me that. I know how much you spend. You don't spend a week's worth of your income in a whole year. You should get one of those little jets."

"They're too unforgiving for an amateur pilot. The Aero Commander is very stable and forgiving to fly. It wouldn't be a problem if an engine went out on takeoff. It has two hydraulic pumps, but flies on one. With the avionics on this plane, she should be very safe. The corporation installed all the optional safety upgrades. And I really liked the way she flew. She felt right."

We pulled into Roselawns. Brooke showed me through and the changes since I saw it Labor Day. The workmen were almost finished, except for a few touchups. Brooke and Will planned to move in December 26th.

Since Roselawns was mostly furnished with Mother's furniture, which was already in the house, moving in wasn't complicated. Brooke had new furniture for the family room, the master bedroom, the new exercise area, and some new pieces in the entry foyer.

The kitchen and baths were much improved. I liked the exercise and the craft room/ children's play area, which were renovated from the old servants' area. The house looked much more family friendly. "It's a big improvement. The house is much more livable."

It was dark by the time we finished the tour of the grounds. I commented on an outbuilding near the pool house that had once been the summer kitchen. "This would make a nice greenhouse and hothouse area."

Brooke said, "I hadn't thought of that. It would be a nice area and I could see the plants from the exercise room. I could have easy access from the exercise room too."

"It'll be my housewarming gift. The summer kitchen had heat and water and then it was a steam room way back. Please accept the greenhouse as my gift."

She said, "I think of the whole house as your gift. Do you really like the changes?"

"I love them."

Brooke beamed.

Will asked, "Do you want to fool with growing plants?"

She said, "I really would, but it's not necessary now. Our plate's full."

I said, "Let me have the best quality greenhouse built now, so you can enjoy it now. Let's build a big one so you only have to do it once. I'll call the architect. He did a nice job on my house's breezeway and the plans for putting in the Jacuzzi at home. I've really enjoyed both."

Brooke asked, "Alabama's home?"

"Tuscaloosa will be for six or seven more years. I think I'll like Fairhope for a permanent home."

Brooke said, "It is different there. I may find someone here worth making you reconsider living down there."

I said, "You never know."

Will said, "We're moving right along with plans for Florida. I'm buying into a Miami law practice that will be separate from Jenkins and Jenkins, at least until I pass the Florida bar. Then I have the option of folding it into Jenkins and Jenkins. We've completed renaming the Rockledge Bank to Florida First National and have opened a branch in Dade County. I reserved the names Alabama First National, and Mississippi First National with the state secretaries of state. I purchased the Georgia First National name from a non-operating entity. I formed a holding company called All South First National. There were already operating banks using the names Southern First National in Georgia and Southeastern First National in Miami, so I couldn't use those names.

"A Cuban expatriate, who I knew at Wharton, is heading Florida First National in Miami for us. He's plugged into the Miami and Latin communities. Florida First National is operating for tax purposes and is linked with W&R through All South. W&R is handling investing their surplus cash. I think we are going to have a lot of cash to invest and a run at First National of Birmingham is more feasible with the arbitrage cash this bank will provide. We already have some sizeable accounts."

I hope he doesn't do anything that will get him, or us, in trouble. A lot of surplus cash in Miami probably means drug money.

Brooke said, "Erin has been a godsend. I wish she would move with us to Roselawns. She said she wanted to see you and she should be here by now."

"I'll speak with her about moving with you. She can drive me to the LIRR. I need to get back."

Brooke said, "You be careful tomorrow."

"It's nothing. They are just taking care of some scar tissue."

I hugged Brooke goodbye and went in to see Erin. Erin looked much better than she did in the summer and seemed more settled.

I asked, "How are you?"

"I'm fine. You look good. I wanted to thank you for all you've done for me and tell you how much I appreciate the chance you gave me. Brooke has been so nice. I really hate for her to leave, but it's much nicer at Roselawns. This will be great place for a family. I'm going to miss her."

"I need to get back. Could you take me to the LIRR? We could talk on the way."

I got in the truck and she drove toward the station. I said, "Brooke really would like for you to move to Roselawns with them. Are you interested?"

Erin said, "I'd rather not. I think a lot of Brooke, but I've decided I like to go to college and have my own family. I'm afraid if I moved with them, I couldn't ever leave. How long has Richard been with your Grandfather?"

"More than thirty years. His wife, Jan, is our cook."

"I want to have children, a house; the whole American dream thing."

I said, "Nothing wrong with that dream. I hope it happens for you. I think it will."

"I'll thank Brooke, but I'm not interested. Can I stay until I finish the school year at the adult ed school?"

"I don't see why you can't stay until you finish college if that's what you want."

"Thanks, I'd like that very much. I can start taking some classes at Nassau CC in January. I'll do a good job keeping your house. There is one thing."

I waited.

"There's a guy in my class, who's asked me out. I'd like to go out with him." I saw pleading in her eyes.

I asked, "Did you want him to visit you at the house?"

"Maybe later, but first, I'd like to be able to go out. You told me not to and I haven't gone out with anyone."

"I didn't know you very well when I said that. We know you better now. You can see him in the guesthouse, but I don't want anyone in the mainhouse."

She smiled and nodded.

"No wild parties and I don't want very many people on the property at one time; around a dozen; certainly no more than twenty. I don't have a problem with you going out right now, but wait until Brooke is gone before anyone comes to the guesthouse. I wouldn't expect you would have visitors when we plan to have guests, but that's not that often. I trust you to keep things under control."

She asked, "I could have a few friends to the guesthouse? Could we use the pool and beach?"

"I'm sure you'll be responsible. No drugs and only people you know. You know this place draws some unsavory characters, who leach off people."

"I know. I was one."

"Erin, you were never like that. You work and do the best you can. You've earned having friends over."

"I understand; thanks. That's more than fair. That's a big step from not dating to being able to have people to the grounds of a place like the beachhouse. If you want me to, I'll stay until I finish school."

She asked, "How are you doing? Do you like it down there?"

I said, "Things are going better than I expected. Thornton and Eunice are coming back this summer."

"I liked them. Thornton is very quiet and Eunice is nice. I never worried about trouble when Thornton was around."

"My friend, Colonel Lauder, will be staying the summer too. Colonel's probably the biggest lady's man at the University of Alabama. It's liable to be very busy at the Hamptons house this summer. Think about a place you could stay in the mainhouse this summer. Colonel and I will be mostly working with Will at the bank and Thornton mostly with Grandfather in the law firm."

"It sounds like I will be busy. I'm going to miss Brooke. If it's alright, I'll help out until she finds people she can trust."

"Sure. Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine. I've saved almost all of the money you've paid med. I've never been better off. When I graduate, I'll be in better shape than I ever dreamed. I can afford to go to college."

"You've worked long enough to qualify for tuition reimbursement at any of the public colleges. It covers books, fees and supplies too; any reasonable expenses. Talk to the lady that handles your pay; she'll take care of it."

She said, "I never expected that. I'm so excited."

I said, "I took some vocational interest tests when I was in the hospital in Hawaii. Ask about the Strong Vocational Interest Battery. It can help pick an area of study. I thought it was excellent."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.