Robert Jenkins - Cover

Robert Jenkins

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 13

Colonel and I were up early Sunday morning. We said our goodbyes to Jane. She gave me a slight additional smile. Though we hadn't had sex, we had decided to be very obtuse about it with Colonel, a little private joke between us. Libby drove us to the airport.

At the airport, Colonel asked, "Fairhope isn't far as the crow flies. Do we have time to see your bayhouse?"

I said, "We can go over there. I'll pre-flight the plane and bring it to operations."

I left Colonel and Libby and went to where the plane was parked. I gave them ten minutes before I moved the plane to operations.

The Fairhope Muni Airport was just southeast of Fairhope. It took less than fifteen minutes to fly to Fairhope from Pascagoula. I pointed out my house as we approached the airport. From the airport, we took a taxi to the house.

When we got to the bayhouse, Colonel said, "Your house reminds me of Lauderdale. I like it a lot."

"I thought the same thing in reverse, when I saw Lauderdale."

We went into the house and into the kitchen, where we prepared Belgium waffles. We took the waffles and coffee to the porch. There were relaxed and talked. I found it very peaceful on the screened porch.

Colonel asked, "What did you think of Jane and Libby?"

"They are first class all the way. Both of them are really nice."

He nodded. Neither of us asked further questions about Libby or Jane. We ate on the porch and watched a container ship go up the channel.

Colonel said, "You really should buy some Gulf front property at Gulf Shores. I heard it's very inexpensive for Gulf front property, and watching the waves is really relaxing. The beach there is really something. Biloxi isn't where I would want to take children. After Vietnam, I would expect that you would want some time away from everything. This is nice, but it there are other around."

"Dorothy's bought a small strip of unimproved land east of Gulf Shores, but I should get something closer to Mobile Bay. She's made an offer for a Gulf front high rise under construction whose developer is about to fold. It's near Gulf Shores. At the price she offered, we could turn the development into upscale vacation rentals. Dorothy has too many irons in the fire there for something not to happen. Will's working on acquiring properties that are parts of large development companies, but they are mostly in the Florida Panhandle. I like Gulf Shores okay, but there is something about Fairhope I really like. I guess I should buy a house on the Gulf, which is away from others. They are very inexpensive right now and they can be a relaxing getaway."

Colonel said, "Fairhope has some well known artists. It's an interesting community. Part of the feel came from the idealists and artists who founded it. It's very friendly to artists and writers."

"That what the real estate agent for this house said. She told us that Bill Buterworth lives next door. He's a technical writer at Ft. Rucker and has written some fiction. Winston Croom lives three doors north; he's also an aspiring writer. She said both are interested in military fiction. I know there are more writers around. Doesn't Nelle Harper Lee live here?"

Colonel said, "No, she's from Monroeville, a few miles north of here in Monroe County. She went to law school at the University, but I don't think she finished. I don't know Buterworth. I met Croom; he is an ROTC graduate of the University and was in Vietnam. He lived on Long Island when he was very young. You might have a lot in common."

We didn't stay long at the bayhouse. Colonel and I flew up the Mississippi side of the border to Lauderdale. We landed, said hi to Lib, and left in Colonel's car. We were very quiet on the ride back to Tuscaloosa. I really liked to fly and decided I wanted a plane. Mostly I thought about Dorothy and I was pretty sure Colonel thought about Libby. Neither of us said anything about them.

We got into Tuscaloosa about dark. I missed my Sunday afternoon session with Sadye. I preferred a little more relationship with hookups than Colonel seemed to.

I read through Monday's assignments Sunday night. I caught up Monday evening. I had learned that staying ahead made schoolwork so much easier. I was surprised at how easy it was if I kept up and studied as I went along. I couldn't maintain a social schedule like Colonel and do well in class.

Tuesday, Dorothy was waiting at the house when I came back from lunch. She was seated in the family room. She looked as if she were nervous. She stood as I approached.

I gave her a quick kiss. "What's wrong?"

She blurted out, "I'm pregnant."

"That's great; I'm happy for you." From the look on her face, she didn't look as if she were happy. I was glad I had thought through how I would react if she said she were to get pregnant.

"Do you really think it's great?"

I hugged her and said, "You're going to make a wonderful mother. You should be very happy."

I drew back and looked her in the eyes. I had a huge smile on my face.

"You really are happy about this!" Then I saw the relief come on her face. "You are; I can tell." She smiled too.

I kissed her softly; at least the kiss started softly. She responded with passion. We hurried to the bedroom, undressed and got in bed.

"Hurry. I want you in me."

It didn't take long for us to orgasm, and I didn't go soft and stayed in her.

I kissed her face and held my weight off her.

She smiled. "I won't break. I want to feel you on me." She hugged me to her very tightly.

She looked away.

I bet she's worried about the child being mine.

I barely moved in her. She felt very warm around me.

"You feel so good." I moved a little. We kissed. I lifted so that our sex was the only place where we touched.

She squeezed me and milked me the way I liked so much. I knew she had exercised and had worked to learn the technique. She had learned it because I had asked her to when we first had sex and she wanted to please me. I so wanted to please her back.

"Will you still want me when I'm big as a cow?"

"You will be even more beautiful."

I relaxed against her and we made love. I felt her happiness. I rolled off and beside her.

She whispered. "I was worried how you would react. I don't know what I would have done..." She kissed me passionately.

I moved her partially on me and kissed the top of her head.

Very softly she asked, "Do you want to know?"

"I know that you're the mother and Fred is the father. Isn't that the way you want it?"

She bit her lip and said, "I haven't told him yet, but I guess that's best. Are you okay with that?"

"I understand. But no matter what happens, promise if you ever need anything, you'll tell me. Please promise me that."

"I've thought about this a lot ... Will you be the baby's godparent?"

"If Fred agrees, I would love to be your child's godparent. Do you want a girl?"

"I just want a healthy baby; I don't care what sex the child is."

I smiled. "A little Dorothy would really be nice. I can see you dressing her. I'm sure she would be darling."

She moved up and kissed me. Her breasts and wet sex felt wonderful against my body. She said, "Thanks."

"My pleasure ... You need a better house and we need to talk about your job too."

She asked, "You're sure you want me to work for you?"

"I'm sure as long as you're comfortable around me." I anxiously asked, "Are you going to want to be with me? Your job doesn't depend on this."

We made love with her on top. Afterwards she relaxed on me. I felt her sob.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm afraid I can't be with you and be a good mother. I already depend on you for too much. I shouldn't want you so much, but I do. You touch me and I can't resist. You're going to have to help me. I'm afraid I can't handle it. Can we stop?"

"We can. I don't want to; but we can. I care about you. I don't want you to feel bad."

I know I shouldn't feel this way, but I don't want to give her up now. We have just really gotten good in bed together. And I'm comfortable with her now, but I knew if she got pregnant, it would probably tear her up emotionally to continue our affair.

Dorothy said, "I love you too much." She kissed me.

She really struck a cord in me. I was surprised I got hard again. We made love as if it was the last time we would be together.

She hurried to the shower and dressed.

When she was dressed, she asked, "Do you really think I should look for a house?"

I nodded. "Line up three: a nice one, a stretch, and a dream. I'd like to see them. I'll help you with the money. You know where the best elementary schools and neighborhoods are."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm very sure. You need to be in the best neighborhood. After you talk to Fred, we really need to talk about long-term business plans."

She said, "I have to go. I've never felt more loved; ironic isn't it?"

She kissed me and hurriedly left. The 'l' word was tough for me to handle. I didn't know the best way to respond. I knew I wasn't smooth.

As she left I thought, I probably shouldn't have brought up the house. I should have been more reassuring and romantic. I'm happy she's pregnant. I kind of knew she would want to break off. I respect her decision. It'll be hard for me to stop, but I will try so to support her emotionally. I hope Fred reacts well and puts more effort in meeting her needs. She's wanted a family and I'm not the man to be her husband; I'm as bad as Colonel about Karen. Worse; she's not married and she's not carrying his child. I would have liked more time before this happened. We had just gotten so good together.

As soon as Dorothy left, I called Grandfather. "Do you feel like flying down for Thanksgiving? I'd like for you to see Tuscaloosa, Birmingham, and Fairhope and meet the people here. Maybe the Lauders could come over and Will and Brooke could come too? I would like for you to come down early and get a feel for the people here, then we could go to Fairhope and stay on the Bay."

I want you to meet Dorothy and see the woman who is probably carrying your second great-grandchild. Grandfather will know there is more to my invitation than for him to tour Alabama.

I continued, "Alabama and Auburn are playing at Legion Field in Birmingham on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The campus will be almost deserted Tuesday afternoon. I'd like for you to see the campus when students are here and to feel the excitement of the big game. I'm told it's electric on campus."

Grandfather asked, "I'd love to see you. How's the weather?"

"Very nice; almost perfect."

"It's turned cold here. I'll talk with Will and Brooke, and then call you back."

I thought about Dorothy and exercised.

Grandfather called back. "We can come down on Sunday. There's a direct flight then. Maybe we could look around Birmingham on the way to Tuscaloosa? See if the Lauders can come over on Monday for dinner. Charter a plane and take us down to Fairhope after you get out of class on Tuesday. We can fly back to New York from Mobile on Saturday. I want to have time to visit with you."

I called Colonel immediately. "Grandfather, Will, and Brooke are coming down the Sunday before Thanksgiving and are staying a week. Could you and your parents come here Monday afternoon? I'm going to charter a plane and fly them to Fairhope on Tuesday after my class. They are going to fly back to New York on Saturday. I imagine you're busy on Thanksgiving, but I'd love for you and your parents to join us for Thanksgiving at the bayhouse."

Colonel asked, "You're not going to the game?"

"I had planned to go to New York for Thanksgiving. Are you going to the Ole Miss and Mississippi State game?"

"We've gone to the game for about as long as I can remember. Maybe we could have Thanksgiving dinner with you and go home Friday. I'll call Dad and see if we have a plane that can take you down Tuesday. You call Mom about the calendar."

"Okay, I'll see if she thinks you can make it Monday, and I'll ask about Thanksgiving. I'm not going to say anything to her about a plane."

Colonel asked. "Have you changed you mind about basing your operations in Fairhope?"

"No, but I'd like to discuss some ideas when everyone comes over Monday. I suspect Thornton will live in Birmingham, Dorothy in Tuscaloosa, and me in Fairhope. I'd like to get a plane that would allow me to travel from Fairhope Muni easily."

Colonel said, "I've decided I'm going to take pilot training after Christmas. Lauderdale has licensed instructors, but I think I would rather get the training here. It would be a good break from working on the dissertation."

I called Lib and invited them to join us on both dates.

Lib replied, "We'll be there Monday afternoon. Jane and Libby are coming for Thanksgiving. I had planned to invite you, but Beau told me you were going home."

"I was going home, but I wanted Grandfather to see Alabama. Pascagoula's so close to Fairhope; it would be a shame if Jane and Libby couldn't join us. We could have Thanksgiving dinner at the house in Fairhope."

"I'll talk with Hub. Jane may need to be in Meridian for business."

Lib called back. "We're on. Hub said Beau just talked to him about the plane. Hub has a pilot laid on to fly you down Tuesday. We'll get rooms in the Grand Hotel. Oh, I talked with Jane and Libby; they're excited to see you and come. Will it be too crowded?"

"I have enough room for all of us to stay at the bayhouse. I hope you can stay Wednesday and Thursday nights. I know you'll want to get back in time to get ready for the Ole Miss game."

Lib said, "That's what we will do unless something comes up. We'll talk later about what we can do to help."

I called Billie at Baldwin County Motors and arranged for cars. She recommended a friend who would prepare and deliver a full Thanksgiving dinner to the house on Thanksgiving.

Tuesday night I had difficulty getting to sleep. Dorothy being pregnant with possibly my child made me rethink a lot of things. Dorothy had changed and grown in part because of her work responsibilities. But in my heart, I knew she still wasn't a good match for me. I didn't know what was best for her, the child, or me. It wasn't as black or white as I had thought. Brooke's warning against interrupting Dorothy's life and leaving her worse for knowing me bothered me. I knew I would have a hard time giving up being intimate with her. I certainly wanted to be more involved with her and the child than some anonymous sperm donor. The child might not be mine, but I decided I had the same responsibilities regardless. I decided it was best I didn't know.

Wednesday evening, Dorothy called, "I told Fred at breakfast. He has recovered from the news. He's excited now. Bless his heart; he brought flowers when he came home this evening. I may not have the list of properties to look at Thursday."

"Take your time. A week from Monday, I'm having a cookout. My grandfather, brother, sister-in-law, the Lauders, and the Canters are coming. I hope you and Fred can come."

I heard Dorothy say, "Fred, Rob wants us to come to his house for a cookout, a week from Monday. His family is coming in from New York. It's a family gathering, but I'm sure it's also a business meeting."

She said, "We'll be there."

"Should I congratulate Fred?"

"Sure." Dorothy called, "Fred, Rob wants to talk with you."

Fred came to the phone.

I said, "Dorothy told me the news. Congratulations, I know you're excited."

Fred said, "Thank you. We are excited. I'm still a little stunned, but I've never seen Dorothy so happy."

"I'm happy for both of you. I know you'll be terrific parents."

I don't feel too much like a hypocrite. I am happy for both of them. Without children, I seriously doubt if Dorothy would have stayed with Fred. Fred is solid and reliable, and he will be a good father. He's damn lucky to have her. She needs children and a solid husband.

He said, "Thanks. I'm looking forward to meeting your family."

"I'm glad you will be able to come Monday. I hope you don't mind that we'll be talking business some."

"No problem. I haven't asked Dorothy; will she be able to continue working for you while she's pregnant or after she has the baby?"

I said, "I hope so. She told me you wanted children and we talked about that before she started working with me. If she needs help, we'll get her someone. I'd like for her to stay. She does a terrific job."

"She really likes working for you. I'm glad she can continue." Fred seemed happy.

I was happy for them and more than a little envious.

I arranged to get checked out in the largest single engine plane that I could rent at the school's airfield. I reserved the plane for the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Thornton agreed to fly up to Birmingham with me, so he could point out the landmarks of Birmingham to everyone as we flew back. I was glad Grandfather was able to get tickets that were on a direct flight through Atlanta. The plane was scheduled to arrive at two in the afternoon.

Thursday, Dorothy and I didn't get together. She was looking at houses and getting some reports ready on possible land purchases. I could tell she was nervous about meeting my family. I was busy with exams and getting ready for the family's visit. Thursday evening I finished a paper for Professor McWilliams.

On Sunday, Sadye and I went to the Cypress Inn for brunch. She had indisposed and was a little surprised that I still wanted to go out. We had a nice meal in a peaceful setting. We talked about my grandfather's visit and school. Sadye had cut back on partying during the week and was doing better in classes. I praised her for the progress she had made. I thought she had settled down quite a bit. We went back to my house and studied a couple of hours, and then I took her back to the DZ house. Sadye and Dorothy met different needs. I knew Sadye couldn't replace what Dorothy provided. And no small part of my attraction to Dorothy started as a substitute for Carolyn. I knew I was fond of mature women. One of the psychiatrists had talked Freudian psychoanalytic mumbo jumbo about my need for mature women. I hadn't stayed with him long but I remembered some of what he had said. Though I hadn't understood the reasons, I had decided then not to fight my preferences and try to enjoy what I liked. Women were new and wondrous and I tried to enjoy exploring and learning about them.

I exercised and went to bed early. I slept better than I had all week. I felt I had accepted what I had to do with Dorothy.

I had an exam Monday morning and flew most of Monday afternoon. Tuesday, I had another exam. I got checked out in the rental plane Tuesday afternoon. At supper before the chapter meeting, Colonel told me that Hub had arranged for a twin-engine Aero Commander to take us to Fairhope. A Lauderdale pilot would fly us down. I didn't have a multiengine endorsement, so I couldn't pilot it. The Aero Commander was a very nice plane and I thought Grandfather would be comfortable in it. I arranged for a ride back from Fairhope with our fraternity sweetheart, who was from the Spring Hill section of Mobile.

Thursday, Dorothy and I ate lunch together and looked at some houses she was considering. It was hard not to ask her to go back to the house. She never looked better to me. Paradoxically, it was somehow easier, since I knew she would go back with me if I really asked her.

Thursday evening, I finished a paper for Professor McWilliams, relaxed in the Jacuzzi, and went to bed early. I took some time to get to sleep. I thought about calling Sadye, but felt better that I didn't.

Saturday, I picked up a box of steaks at a local butcher's and placed a large order for ribs at Dreamland. I talked with Grandfather and Lib to see if everything was on schedule. Eunice brought flowers and checked the house to see that everything was in place for guests. Eunice suggested a few things. I went to the Pepperell out where I could get higher quality towels and bedding, enough for Tuscaloosa and Fairhope, in one place. I took them to a Laundromat and had everything washed and folded.

Sunday, I met Thornton at the airfield at eleven. I signed for the plane and pre-flighted it. We flew over the Birmingham airport and left the pattern so Thornton could do a fly through of his tour of Birmingham. We landed before one and waited for Grandfather's flight to arrive. The flight was on time. Thornton and I met them at the gate.

Grandfather looked good. I said, "Welcome to Alabama."

He said, "It's about forty degrees warmer here than New York. It's good to see you."

I asked, "You look well, how do you feel?"

"I feel good."

I gave Brooke a hug. Thornton greeted Will.

Grandfather, Will and Brooke went into the first-class lounge while Thornton and I got the luggage. Will joined us after his restroom stop. There weren't many people, who had gotten off in Birmingham, and it didn't take long to get the luggage. Thornton and I loaded the luggage on the shuttle to the general aviation terminal, while Will went for Grandfather and Brooke. Birmingham wasn't a big airport. The shuttle to took us to the short distance to the general aviation teminal.

I asked, "How was the flight?"

Grandfather replied, "Not bad. It was smooth all the way down. We didn't have to wait long in Atlanta."

I said to Brooke, "You look really good."

"I feel pretty good now."

The shuttle took us to the private aviation transient parking area, where we loaded the luggage into the plane. We were in the air before three.

We flew over the Forest Park area of Birmingham, where Thornton and Eunice grew up, then downtown and over Red Mountain by the statue of Vulcan. Thornton talked about Mountain Brook, Shades Valley, Vestavia, and Hoover. We saw the new Howard College, which had been renamed Samford University, after the Samford family who gave the money to build the beautiful new campus. We circled around to the west side over the steel mills in Ensley, Bessemer, and Fairfield. It was only a short hop to Tuscaloosa, where we went over the city and campus. I flew us south of town and pointed out the St. Joe paper plant, which was beyond the campus on the main highway and other St. Joe properties, which were mostly south and east of town. We were on the ground by four. Brooke and Grandfather went into the airfield lounge while I unloaded the luggage. Thornton and Will loaded the baggage into the Caprice I had rented, while I checked the plane in.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.