Robert Jenkins - Cover

Robert Jenkins

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 7

Monday I flew to Birmingham, by way of Atlanta. People in Birmingham told me that when they died, they were sure they would be routed through Atlanta to heaven or hell.

I picked up a rental car at the airport and drove toward Tuscaloosa. I certainly felt better than when I had left Tuscaloosa the last time. I had dreaded finishing my enlistment. The Army had taught me a lot; about myself, about friends, about people who were different than I was. I wasn't the same person who entered basic training, or the same person who went to Vietnam. I knew the way Dallas died would affect me forever. In most ways, I knew I was a better person, though I wasn't sure I was better in the things that really counted.

Carolyn had helped me deal with my feelings about Mary. Being with Carolyn was very different than being with Mary. Carolyn understood the difference and said I should appreciate what Mary had given me for those few days. I hadn't felt the highs, the passion with Carolyn that I had felt with Mary.

Sunday Carolyn and I had talked after we had made love. Carolyn had said, "I'm very fond of you; I hope you know that, but we can't become too attached; that's why I limited our time together. We are helping each other and fulfilling a need; a need that will be different in the future. It is more than a widow getting over losing a husband and a young man getting over his first love, but it is a summer romance that needs to end with good feelings when summer ends. You have brought me back into the world. Already, I feel like a woman again. I hope I've helped you get over your hurt and your doubts about being a man. I can't take a bad ending. If we aren't going to be able to end it on good terms at the end of the summer, we have to break it off now."

I said, "You are very special to me too. I feel like we connect. I can talk with you about anything. Just in the little time we've been together, I've learned so much. I know what you mean about the way I feel for you. It is special, but it is different."

"Thank you." She sobbed into my chest. "I'm serious. If we can't control it, we have to stop now."

"I don't want to stop."

"When you go back to college, we have to become friends only. Promise me."

Reluctantly I said, "I promise."

I thought about Carolyn all the way from Birmingham to Tuscaloosa. It was good she said what she had. In my heart of hearts, I knew she was right. And we were both sort of on the rebound and I could have pretended we had more than we did. Carolyn made me happy that we had what we really had; whatever the hell it was and for the length of time it was. I didn't know, but I trusted Carolyn.

I checked into the hotel and called Thornton's apartment.

Eunice answered the phone and I said, "It's Bobby. I'm checked in at the hotel."

"Thornton is at the law library. He wants you to have lunch and supper with him at the fraternity house tomorrow. He's busy getting ready for finals."

"I have an appointment to see Dr. Bailey tomorrow morning, but that's my only commitment. I don't want to interfere with Thornton's studying. Does he have enough time to fool with me?"

Eunice said, "He's better when he is busy. Maybe you and I can have lunch Wednesday? I've got a couple of things I'd like to ask about then."

I said, "Let's go somewhere nice for lunch; somewhere where we can talk. You be my guest and make the reservations somewhere nice."

We concluded the call and I left the hotel.

I drove around campus and had pizza at Pasquale's Pizza. The pizza wasn't anything special. Bill and I had much better in the City when we came into the City during basic training.

I slept well without taking extra Mellaril. I ate breakfast at the hotel and drove to the University. Dr. Bailey was very nice. He had arranged for me to talk with the chairman of the finance department.

I liked the finance chairman and the program. The banking program was more for commercial than investment banking, but they had enough courses in investment banking related courses to make it interesting. He said that I could take classes in securities at the law school. Everyone seemed interested in me, and they didn't fawn over me because the family had a bank. Independently, Dr. Bailey and the finance department chairman suggested that if I wanted to work in New York City, I would probably be better to stay at Yale and go to law school in the City.

I met Thornton at the Deke house before noon. We talked with the officers and the housemother before we had a pleasant lunch. After lunch, Thornton went to class and I talked with a couple of brothers, who were finance majors. They were positive about the program and encouraged me to come to Alabama.

The Deke house was not far from the old student mailboxes and the Student Union. I walked over to the Union and had a Coke. I saw a lot of very pretty women at the University. I drove to the hotel and rested until four.

I dressed and drove to the Deke house. Thornton met me there. He introduced me to the brothers who I hadn't met at lunch. After supper, I talked with housemother while Thornton and the brothers went to the regular Tuesday night chapter meeting, which was held in the chapter room in the basement.

A few minutes after the meeting started, the chapter president came to me. "The brothers have invited you to join our chapter as a full member, not as an affiliate. Would you like to become a member of the chapter?"

I said, "I am honored. I accept." I just committed to come here. I now know what rush means.

I went with the president to the chapter meeting. They had a brief ceremony which admitted me to the chapter room as a member of the chapter. After the meeting, Thornton went to the law library and studied. I stayed at the house and talked with some brothers, who congratulated and welcomed me into the chapter. I didn't stay long, as near the end of the semester was a busy time for most of the brothers.

After the meeting, I drove around the campus area for a little while and then back to the hotel.

Wednesday morning, I bought a Deke sweatshirt and an Alabama sweatshirt for Carolyn and an Alabama baseball cap for me. Then I went with Eunice, to lunch. We went to the Cypress Inn, a delightful restaurant out on the river.

Eunice asked, "Have you changed your mind about The University?"

"No. Everyone is very friendly and the women are beautiful. I hope they are friendly. I could just sit and watch them go by and enjoy it. I like the banking curriculum. I think I can do well in the major. Thornton helped me get accepted into the fraternity. That was nice of him. I feel like this is a good place for me."

"Thornton thinks highly of you. He thinks you will be a positive addition to the chapter."

The restaurant was a white table cloth place, even at lunch. The service was excellent and the food was good.

I asked, "Is Thornton okay? I think a lot of him."

Eunice said, "He may go to summer school. His summer associate job fell through. They changed management in the trust section at the bank and so he's going to interview for jobs."

"That's too bad. Is it going to cause trouble for you?"

She said, "He's disappointed. We had wanted to be in Birmingham; now we might go somewhere else. The wedding is still on for after finals. Are you going to be able to come down for it?"

"I'll be there. I've only seen Birmingham from the airport and on the highway between here and the airport."

After a couple of bites, she asked, "How are you? I feel badly that I asked Carol to bring her roommate."

"I'll never be completely over her, but I'm much better. I'm ready to move on. I'm not sorry I met her; only the way it worked out."

"That's good. There are a lot of very nice Kappas here. I have a feeling you won't need my help, but I know a few girls who I can introduce you to." Eunice smiled.

"I'll remember that."

We had a very pleasant lunch. I paid and we went back to campus. Then I drove to the hotel. At the hotel I called Grandfather.

He asked, "How's the visit?"

"Very nice. I've definitely decided to come to school here and study banking. I'm really thinking about law school here too. I'm not going to look at Duke. Last night I was voted into the chapter here. I feel good about the program and that I have people I can depend on."

Grandfather said, "I'm disappointed you're not returning to Yale, but I'm glad you like it there. It's good that you decided on finance."

I said, "I have a favor to ask."

"If I can help."

I asked, "Could you employ Thornton as a summer associate in the firm?"

"I think we hired two. We usually only have one."

I said, "I would appreciate it if you hired Thornton. I would like for Thornton and Eunice to spend some time in the City this summer. He could get good experience working in the firm and I think I might like to work with Thornton after I graduate. I'd like for you to know each other."

"If it's important to you, of course I'll do it."

I said, "It is very important to me. I'll ask Thornton and Eunice to come up for a visit and you can interview him. If you don't think he would be good, I would understand."

Grandfather said, "Offer him the position. We pay four thousand a month and a housing allowance. Invite them to come up and see if they want to take the position."

I said, "He couldn't get experience like at your firm in any Birmingham firm. I'm sure if I offer, he'll take it."

"Have both of them come up and look anyway. Are they coming back with you tomorrow night?"

I said, "I'll invite them."

I called Eunice. "Why don't I bring ribs for supper? I have a few things to talk about with you and Thornton."

She said, "Come by a little after five. He'll be in by then."

At five, I stopped at Dreamland BBQ Ribs and bought three large rib platters. Eunice had slaw and I stopped at McDonald's for fries.

We ate around the kitchen table.

Thornton said, "Dreamland has good ribs; they are almost as good as Ollie's in Birmingham; but then Ollie's is the best."

Eunice said, "Ollie's; you have to love a barbeque place that advertises the World's Best Cherry Pie. Everyone in my family thinks that they have the best barbeque."

Author's Note: Ollie's Barbeque was a personal favorite, but sadly I heard they closed. Historically it is mostly known as the site where state's rights ended. In Katzenbach v. McClung, the Supreme Court ruled that Ollie's, a local Birmingham barbeque restaurant, was engaged in interstate commerce, which effectively meant that all businesses were engaged in interstate commerce. The Commerce Clause of the Constitution then was used to justify federal law applying to all businesses, effectively ending Powers Reserved to the State and state's rights for anything related to commerce.

"I'd like for both of you to go back to New York with me tomorrow evening. Grandfather has a summer associate position for you in his Wall Street law firm. The family has an investment bank where you can get experience also. It would be much better experience than you could get at any law firm in Birmingham or Atlanta. And the firm will pay four thousand a month and a living allowance for you and Eunice to live in the City. We have a place out on the Hamptons where you can get away to the ocean on the weekends."

Thornton said, "I don't know what to say."

I said, "I know it is a busy time for you, but I think it would be good for both of you to fly up with me tomorrow. You could come back as soon as you want. You can stay with us at Grandfather's apartment. I would like for him to get to know both of you. I think he would feel more comfortable about me coming to school here too."

Eunice asked, "Could we see a Broadway musical while we're there?"

"If Thornton hasn't enough time to stay over Friday night, you can see them this summer."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.