Robert Jenkins - Cover

Robert Jenkins

Copyright© 2010 by rougher63

Chapter 3

After the surgery, I was transferred to the Naval Hospital in the Philippines to recover. Then I was flown to Pearl Harbor for rehabilitation. As soon as I was able to walk with a cane, I was sent home. I was in pain much of the time and had difficulty sleeping. My motivation was to get home from Pearl.

When the military flight let me off in California, instead of waiting for the later flight on my military voucher, I called Grandfather and bought a first class seat on a commercial flight to LaGuardia. As soon as I boarded, I took a pain pill and slept most of the flight. My grandfather, brother, mother and a young woman met me at the airport.

Grandfather is not well. He looks old. It's nice to be home. Will looks prosperous. And the woman, beside him, is a knockout. Mother is drunk or out of it. Maybe both.

I hugged my mother, then Grandfather, and was surprised when Will really hugged me. My grandfather and Will immediately saw that I had changed. My appearance had changed. I was much thinner and I no longer looked delicate and 'pretty'. But it was my eyes that had changed the most, I didn't look soft anymore. When Grandfather and Will saw my pronounced limp and that I walked with a cane, I saw a look of concern in Grandfather's and Will's eyes. I also saw cold fury in Grandfather's.

Will introduced the pretty woman as his fiancée, Brooke. She looked classy. She was about five-six and trim. She had a nice build, but it was her smile that was breathtaking. She was pretty and at ease with herself.

"Would you like to go to Jack and Charlie's for a drink? We are celebrating your homecoming and William's engagement," Grandfather said calmly.

"I'd really like to get out of this uniform. You wouldn't believe the things some of the people at the airport in California said. I can't do anything about the haircut I got in the hospital at Pearl. You could go on and I'll join you there." I spoke with quiet assurance.

"Don't be silly, we can wait. It's good to have guests," Mother said.

I said, "Wait at 21. I won't be long."

"I really think that is what Bobby wants. He probably wants a shower too. He's been on a plane a long time," Grandfather said to my mother.

Since the apartment was on the way, the limo dropped me and returned. Grandfather's usually very reserved butler, Richard, hugged me, "Welcome home, Mr. Robert. Mr. Howard is so relieved you're home."

"Just Bobby to family, Richard. Thanks. I need to shower and change. They are waiting at Jack and Charlie's."

"I'll lay some things out," Richard said.

I took a quick shower and when I came out; my clothes were on the clotheshorse. "Thanks, Richard."

My clothes were very loose on me. I had lost weight in Vietnam. I was six feet tall and when I left I weighed one-eighty; now I weighed one-sixty.

I hurried and got in the limo that had returned and was waiting near the front entrance.

At 21, I kissed Mother's cheek. "It's nice to be back."

Mother smiled, "Thank you. That was very nice. It's good to see you again."

I don't think she has any idea who I am or where I've been.

Grandfather toasted, "To new beginnings."

While Will and the women were in the restrooms, Grandfather asked, "I'm so glad you are back. Dr. Angell told me that my heart isn't as strong as it once was. We have some things we need to talk about before they get back. I hate to bring up business so soon, but how would you feel about your brother coming to the bank and being a partner in the law firm?"

"I think it would be great if he came."

He said, "You don't think he would tarnish the name? It's your name too."

"I made a lot of money with W & R. It would be hypocritical of me to be holier than thou. I would like for him to join you at the bank, if that is what you want. I think it's smart to have him as a partner in the law firm too."

He said, "But nobody knows about your investment. Would you be interested in staying in the City after you get out of the Army?"

I said, "I know I could learn more from you than any college finance program, but I really would like to go to college."

Grandfather said, "I think that's best too, but I fear I may not be around to help you for long. What about William's position at the bank?"

"I think that is up to you and Will. I trust you to do the best thing for the bank and the family."

Grandfather said, "Thank you. I am really proud of you. You've matured. Are you physically okay?"

I shrugged. "The doctors aren't sure how far back my arm and leg will come. My range of motion in my arm is limited now and my arm and leg are still weak; but I'm not in danger of losing them now; thanks to you and Dr. Stein. I have the names of some people at Walter Reed and Hopkins who Stein thinks I should see. They may be able to do more surgery on my arm and leg. And I need some help dealing with what I went through. I am having some problems, especially sleeping."

"Dr. Angell can get you the best at Presbyterian, Mass General, or Hopkins. I could tell your leg bothered you," Grandfather said. "Give me the names of the people and I'll see to it."

"Here are the names of people who Dr. Stein recommended that I see. I was told the sooner the better. I should have been treated earlier. It may be too late."

"I'll take care of it right now. After I talk to Dr. Angell, I will have our senators on the phone. Let's not bother your mother with any of this tonight. She is so happy to see you and you can tell that her memory isn't good. I assure you I will set a fire under our senior senator." He left and was gone fifteen minutes."

It took Mother and Brooke some time to return to the table. Will and I talked about school as we waited for them to return.

When everyone had returned to the table, Grandfather said, "I hope everyone can stay over tonight. If I may, I would like to talk with William a little while, when we get to the apartment."

The apartment had eight bedrooms. When we got to the apartment, Mother said, "I need to be getting home. My parents are waiting for me."

I knew Mother was in bad shape. She didn't know where she was.

Mother went to bed. A woman went with her and helped her.

Grandfather said, "Your mother has sundowner's syndrome. I'm afraid she is deteriorating very fast. Dr. Angell had her seen by the best people, but there isn't much that can be done."

Grandfather asked Brooke, "Would you mind if I spoke with William in my office?"

I said, "I would love to get to know Brooke better."

"Watch out brother, that's my love," Will said it with a big smile on his face.

After Will and Grandfather had gone into grandfather's study, Brooke said, "Your grandfather reminds me of mine. He was such a gentleman. I miss him so."

"Grandfather is something. Sister-in-law to be, are there any more beautiful young women in your family?"

"You're sweet I am an only child." Brooke paused and then continued, "You know Will was very worried about you."

I asked, "I want to know all about you?"

"I grew up and live in Wallingford, north of Philadelphia. I went to Gettysburg College and met Will at The Hunt Club. My father is a doctor. My parents love Will too and the rest is unimportant."

"You are a very beautiful woman. And I have a good feeling about you. My brother is a very lucky man."

"I see Will is not the only charmer in the family." She paused, then she asked, "Was it really bad over there?"

"So bad that we don't talk about it," I said with a smile.

"I'm sorry Robert, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable."

"Bobby to family. That's all right. I don't mind you asking anything, as long as you understand that I may not be able to answer."

Brooke said, "Fair enough. Same here."

"Good. I'm really happy for you both. Will was a good older brother. He was older and I was closer to Mother, so we weren't very close. Mother needed me and I stayed with her."

"Will your mother be a problem for me?" Brooke asked softly.

"No, somebody will have to look after her. Fortunately we have people who do that."

Brooke asked, "I didn't see a girlfriend waiting?"

"No girlfriend now or ever. But I hope to fix that soon. As we soldiers say, 'Even if I have to rent one'."

"You are terrible. I'm sure there is a nice girl out there for you."

I asked, "Brooke, how would you feel about moving to New York City?"

She said, "I guess I don't understand the question."

"Grandfather's worried about his health and who will take over the bank and be a partner in the firm. I think he would like Will to move here. Please don't tell Will I asked."

"I would rather stay in Philadelphia, but if that's what Will wants, I'll move. You know, 'wherever thou goest'. Bobby, I don't keep secrets from Will, but I don't think it he will mind you asking."

I nodded.

"How long do you have before you have to go back?" she asked.

"I have report to Fort Dix for a physical within three days."

She asked, "What will you do after that?"

"Wait until my enlistment is over, and then get out. It won't come too soon. As soon as I can, I'm going up to New Haven to see about getting back in Yale for the fall."

She asked, "Are you going to do anything fun, I mean except rent these women?"

"If I get leave, I'll probably go down to West Palm to be with Mother some."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.